Should I buy a S7320 or RG1527?

• Thread starter nicknuisance
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nicknuisance

Master Shredder
Contributor
Reaction score
I've decided my first 7 is going to be one of the two, but which to go with, I still haven't made up my mind. I love the S body, but I've seen others say that the RG1527 buries the S7320. Any comments?

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, the S trem is better enough to make it the better guitar, although the fret dressing on the 1527 is a bit nicer. For about the same price, you get either guitar with a case (S+case is 840). Nothing you cant fix up for 30 bucks at a shop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Splees

splees
Reaction score
I'd definitely pick the S7. I hated the trem on my 1527. the s7320 I tried was great. Action, general playability. It sounded pretty decent, it had stock pickups... so just throw in whatever you like.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'm getting an S7 soon myself but I still prefer the RG1527.

The neck is thicker on the S7, the upper fret access isn't as good and there are only 22 frets as well, also the ZR trem does not have as much "travel" as the EdgePro.

Just so you know that there are "downsides".

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Those are very different instruments, which leads me to believe that you're choosing a brand rather than an instrument that will be suited to your playing style. If I were you I would not decide until I'd had a chance to thoroughly test multiple 7s.

Edit: This thread should probably be moved to the 7 string section.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, dealing with the trems themselves, the ZR has over twice the physical range of operation. The guitar body itself is routed such that the EP has more range than the S. granted, he IS asking about those guitars, so you are right in that the 1527 has more trem range than the S, but its not because of the trem itself. its the body routes.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
...the neck pickup is imo better sounding because of the 22 frets...

Well that's debatable. Some people say the 22 frets sound better than 24 because of harmonics but that has been proven wrong by simple logic. If you change the note the harmonic's position on the string changes. I just think that the S7320's stock pickups + mahogany = better tone than the stock RG1527.

74n4LL0

I'm a robot...
Reaction score
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Well that's debatable. Some people say the 22 frets sound better than 24 because of harmonics but that has been proven wrong by simple logic. If you change the note the harmonic's position on the string changes. I just think that the S7320's stock pickups + mahogany = better tone than the stock RG1527.

It's debatable that imo is better sounding?
how?
Also it's not debatable that neck pickups sound different in 22 or 24 frets guitar...and I prefer the sound in 22 frets guitar!

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
how?
Also it's not debatable that neck pickups sound different in 22 or 24 frets guitar...and I prefer the sound in 22 frets guitar!

Heh, you just said it yourself. People have different tastes in tone, so the fact that you like 22 fret sound may be different for someone else.

shupe13

Reaction score
I own the 7320 and I couldn't be happier, especially for the price. Although 99.9% of the time I play standing, when I do sit, the guitar is so comfortable. The trem is amazing and to me, the stock pups don't sound bad either. Being that I'm not Herman Lee or Jake E. Lee for that matter, the ZRs range of motion and the 22 frets are fine. I will say the look of the RG screams metal.

Play'em all.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
how?
THe difference isn't debatable, but the preferred tone is.
It's actually the only complained i have against the S7 is the 22 frets. It beats the RG1527 in every other category, including cost.

74n4LL0

I'm a robot...
Reaction score
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Heh, you just said it yourself. People have different tastes in tone, so the fact that you like 22 fret sound may be different for someone else.
Esactly, I haven't said that absolutely truth is that 22 fret sound better
THe difference isn't debatable, but the preferred tone is.

Right, but what I wrote is that he can't debate my opinion...
"for 74n4LL0 a neck pickup in 22 fret sounds better"...how can you debate that?
you can debate instead the fact that: "a neck pickup in a 22 fret sounds better" in general, but I haven't said that

hope I made myself clear..