Should I change pickups in Carvin DC800?

xxreaperxx

Reaction score
So soon Im ordering a Carvin DC800. They come stock with Carvin A80 active pickups. Im into music such as Animals as Leaders, Messugah, and other 8 string bands.

My main one is Animals as Leaders.

Should I switch to EMG808(with 18 volt mod), Seymour Duncan Blackoutsor keep the A80?

What do these sound like?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xxreaperxx

Reaction score
So soon Im ordering a Carvin DC800. They come stock with Carvin A80 active pickups. Im into music such as Animals as Leaders, Messugah, and other 8 string bands.

My main one is Animals as Leaders. Tosin Abasi is my guitar god haha

Should I switch to EMG808(with 18 volt mod), Seymour Duncan Blackoutsor keep the A80?

What do these sound like?

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
I personally think they sound better than the 808s and the SD Blackouts so I would suggest waiting to see if you like them. If you decide you want to swap them for another active I would stick to 808Xs. Obviously you have passive options as well but again I would suggest trying out the stock pickups first before making any kind of decision.

yuureikun

Reaction score
If the plan is to switch to another active pickup, I would stick with the Carvin actives. I found them to be better than both EMG or Blackouts. But it is best to try them out for yourself and see what you think, then decide from there.

Phlegethon

Reaction score
Short answer: stick with the carvin actives

long answer: the carvin actives to my ears would have the best overall voice out of the three major active choices for eight strings. they're balanced, appear to have a healthy bit of dynamics and their active "sound" doesn't interfere with anything (the opposite would be an emg 81. they will *always* have that 81 voice in addition to the guitar's voice no matter what you try to do. speaking from experience with my 81 in my six)

carvin did a damn fine job with the A80's , and if I were to order a DC800 I wouldn't be touching the pickups unless I was adjusting them

bucketbot

Reaction score
Short answer: stick with the carvin actives

long answer: the carvin actives to my ears would have the best overall voice out of the three major active choices for eight strings. they're balanced, appear to have a healthy bit of dynamics and their active "sound" doesn't interfere with anything (the opposite would be an emg 81. they will *always* have that 81 voice in addition to the guitar's voice no matter what you try to do. speaking from experience with my 81 in my six)

carvin did a damn fine job with the A80's , and if I were to order a DC800 I wouldn't be touching the pickups unless I was adjusting them

Good to Know!
Can't wait to get my DC 800! :hbang:

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I would suggest waiting to see if you like them.

/Thread

I'd wait to make the decision. There are people who like the stock Ibby passives. It's all taste. So, regardless of the hype (good or bad) about the A80s, try them first.

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
I seem to recall some time back that there was a vid of AAL and Tosin was playing a DC800 that Carvin had given him. It had the stock pickups and the consensus was that his tone was great.

So... wait and see.

brector

Reaction score
I seem to recall some time back that there was a vid of AAL and Tosin was playing a DC800 that Carvin had given him. It had the stock pickups and the consensus was that his tone was great.

So... wait and see.

-Brian