Should I do it?

• Thread starter MetalThrasher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Keel

Reaction score
Yes. I want one, even if it's kinda funny looking

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Both made by WMI doe

I don't know why people think this matters. Wmi is a contract work factory. The lower boundary might be higher quality then a Chinese or Indonesian factory but they still build exactly what they are contracted for. There is also a ton of work that happens after the guitar is made that has nothing to do with the factory.

Dredg

Insignificant
Reaction score
I just picked up a Douglas (Rondo) 7 string baritone lefty. Do it. Fixer uppers are still good guitars. Get all the crappy Chinese wiring and pots out, and replace the nut. Boom goes the dynamite.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I don't know why people think this matters. Wmi is a contract work factory. The lower boundary might be higher quality then a Chinese or Indonesian factory but they still build exactly what they are contracted for. There is also a ton of work that happens after the guitar is made that has nothing to do with the factory.

Some factories put out better products than other factories, even if it's the exact same thing made to a industry standard like machine tools. People make things different ways, different people managing means different degrees of cleanliness on the floor and different hours placed on laborers and different paychecks for them as well and therefore different degrees of motivation. There's all kinds of contributing factors as to why a factory makes good or bad products and I don't think you can simply write them all off saying "it's contact work". Plans are given with degrees of acceptable tolerances, and a bad factory will push that limit maybe even cross it, but a good factory will give you a superior product.

At least, I know this is true of contract work factories building ER collets, because I have to check total indicated run-out of them at my job.

xzacx

Reaction score
The finishing on the end of the fretboard and around the truss rod wheel looks like it was contracted out to beavers.

jpu9hz.jpg

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Some factories put out better products than other factories, even if it's the exact same thing made to a industry standard like machine tools. People make things different ways, different people managing means different degrees of cleanliness on the floor and different hours placed on laborers and different paychecks for them as well and therefore different degrees of motivation. There's all kinds of contributing factors as to why a factory makes good or bad products and I don't think you can simply write them all off saying "it's contact work". Plans are given with degrees of acceptable tolerances, and a bad factory will push that limit maybe even cross it, but a good factory will give you a superior product.

At least, I know this is true of contract work factories building ER collets, because I have to check total indicated run-out of them at my job.

While that's true, my post was made in response to people that love to chime into agile threads saying hey it's made in the same factory as the prs se. That really doesn't convey much information at all. Wmi might have a higher base quality then other quality then lesser factories but that doesn't mean everything it puts out is automatically the highest tier they offer.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Yeah that's true cheap tuning machines don't just become good ones because you've got a skilled guy installing them.

MetalThrasher

Thrash & Burn
Reaction score
The finishing on the end of the fretboard and around the truss rod wheel looks like it was contracted out to beavers.

jpu9hz.jpg

I see that! I wonder if its the lighting or is it really that bad? The other color one doesn't appear to have that. However, I do see what you mean! Maybe I'll hold out. I don't expect to get Jackson Custom shop quality by any means at all. I was going to swap out all the electronics because I basically have to if I'm installing EMGS. The other thing that I can see from the pics is that I'm going to have a hard time fitting a 60 it looks like on the bridge without mods.

Latest posts