Should i start playing 7 string before trying 8 string?

• Thread starter TridentChaos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TridentChaos

Reaction score
Hey guys hoping u could help me with a dilemma, im a very proficient
6 string player and wanting to get my hands on an extended range instrument, but i have two problems when it comes to deciding

A: i live in ireland, and

B: im left handed!

these two problems add up to my only choice being that i import from the US,
id love an 8 string and have my eye on an Agile interceptor 828 lefthand,
or a schecter damien elite8, the Agile intrepid looks a bit bass like and im worried it might feel that way.

but my main worry is is it too big a jump to go from 6 to 8 string without ever playing 7?

this wouldnt be an issue but the whole issue of ordering form the US and import tax and the like i wouldnt be ordering guitars very often like this, so my logic is should i get an 8 string since i have the 7 to play with on it anyway?

or would you recommend i go 7 string first to build up to the complex nature of an extended range guitar?

much help appreciated as my head is fried wondering which to order! :realmad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArkaneDemon

Reaction score
Try out a six string bass first if you can and that's generally the width of an 8 string guitar. If you think you can handle it, by all means get an 8 string without trying a 7. If you have the dedication, you can do it easily. It also matters what you'll be doing with the 8.

What I mean by that is: think of it as if you've never played guitar before and you want to skip 6 and go to 7. If you play the 7 as a six string with an extra higher string, it will be almost the same as just getting a 6 string, just with the benefit of higher range. If you get a 7 string and tune it in the 7 string standard tuning, it will be a bit harder getting used to it because a lot of the songs you might want to do are not in B, but E and your lowest string will become a burden to mute as it's not the lowest string. That's how I see it.

So my advice is: if you want an 8 string and the stuff you want to play involves either using the entire fretboard or your lowest string will be your lowest note most of the time, then go for it. If you get an 8 string and you are going to use only the top or bottom 6 and never use the other strings, don't bother.

matty2fatty

Reaction score
Unless you have small hands that would make playing an 8 physically difficult, I'll say no.

My thoughts run along the same lines as the thinking that people should learn to drive a standard when they first learn to drive, might as well get it all over with at once.

ArkaneDemon

Reaction score
Oh shit, not to mention if you also get the 28.625" scale, it might be a great transition if you're currently doing 25.5" or god forbid...24.75". If you have smaller hands, it might be a long stretch for some riffs closer to the nut, for sure.

Danxile

Reaction score
i made the switch from 6-8 very easily. An 8 has everything a 7 has and one extra string so i saw me buying a 7 as being kinda pointless. Go big or go home brah!

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I went from 6 to 8 with almost no adjustment, so go for it. The problem is no most 6 strings feels like toys to me, the neck is so small :) I might get a 7 string down the rode tho, for different tunings.

chucknorrishred

Reaction score
i went from 6's to 7's cuz i didnt know about 8's. but if u know a lil theory and some practice exercises like scales, u should be able to handle the jump just fine. some ppl only play one size guitar then gets mind screwed into thinking thats the only size they can play.

back in the day :noplease:, i played a 6 string bass and many different sized 6 string guitars and was able to adapt fairly quick.

id say try it out :yesway:, its not like you'll die

TridentChaos

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

im fairly well set up practically and theoreticly for it, ive paul gilbert size fingers like hands and im quite tall so the 28'' scale and wide neck shouldnt be much of a stretch compared to most, though the interceptor is 27'', being an instructor of guitar
and guitar theory i shouldnt be too lost in adapting scales and such,
more than likely ill go for the 8 i think, the style i like is very wide
from jazz fusion and metal like dreamtheater , opeth and meshuggah, tosin abasi etc.
hope you guys can help with any quiestions and tid bits i have once it arrives!
PS anyone have any issues regarding import tax to europe? :shred:
much appreciated guys thanks!

Path

Reaction score
From what ive read, whilst doing research for myself, i was going to get a agile 8 string pro myself, but after speaking to kurt, through quite a cold email he sent me, Prices are as is, and ull probably havta pay the tax on delivery. I wanted to order 2 Agile Pro 8 strings, but with ToM trems, but seems their abit fussy about moding their axe's.

Also after dealing with some bike companys from the US, with big personal orders, they can sometimes mark the package as a 'Gift', and you dont pay import tax.

ANYWAYS, i settled on a Schecter c-7 blackjack, out of convinience really, and after some more thought myself and my bands second guitarist decided we wernt going to use that extra high string on a 8(since well jus drop the 7th down to F anyway) i was looking at the damien elite's, but bolt on neck on a 8 string :/

It felt like i got a nicer deal with the blackjack, ebony fretboard and a painted neck, nomnom.

All i can really say is with import tax, is if you do go for it, you will prolly need about 200 quid cash on delivery to pay the driver, i think you can intercept (no pun intended) the intercepter (ok it was) at the depot and pay them their, you would have to arrange it with the courier tho.

TridentChaos

Reaction score
From what ive read, whilst doing research for myself, i was going to get a agile 8 string pro myself, but after speaking to kurt, through quite a cold email he sent me, Prices are as is, and ull probably havta pay the tax on delivery. I wanted to order 2 Agile Pro 8 strings, but with ToM trems, but seems their abit fussy about moding their axe's.

Also after dealing with some bike companys from the US, with big personal orders, they can sometimes mark the package as a 'Gift', and you dont pay import tax.

ANYWAYS, i settled on a Schecter c-7 blackjack, out of convinience really, and after some more thought myself and my bands second guitarist decided we wernt going to use that extra high string on a 8(since well jus drop the 7th down to F anyway) i was looking at the damien elite's, but bolt on neck on a 8 string :/

It felt like i got a nicer deal with the blackjack, ebony fretboard and a painted neck, nomnom.

All i can really say is with import tax, is if you do go for it, you will prolly need about 200 quid cash on delivery to pay the driver, i think you can intercept (no pun intended) the intercepter (ok it was) at the depot and pay them their, you would have to arrange it with the courier tho.

Yeah i got quite a cold response from kurt myself when asking about mod's, borderline rude if im honest, not doing a great job at selling guitars from a public relations point of view, good things the guitars are as good as people say they are i guess.

i like the blackjack C-8 but 950 is pretty hefty! is it an i only seen it available in satin black, ive a black axe already( i like being multi coloured) :rolleyes:
wonder if adriondackguitars will put a gift stamp if i asked them nicely :cool:

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
Yeah i got quite a cold response from kurt myself when asking about mod's, borderline rude if im honest, not doing a great job at selling guitars from a public relations point of view, good things the guitars are as good as people say they are i guess.

i like the blackjack C-8 but 950 is pretty hefty! is it an i only seen it available in satin black, ive a black axe already( i like being multi coloured) :rolleyes:
wonder if adriondackguitars will put a gift stamp if i asked them nicely :cool:
Actually, Kurts public relations are usually pretty awesome, and their return policy (if you're in the US) is amazing as well.

Consider if you'd asked some other guitar maker (esp, schecter, ibanez) to send you one of their guitars, but with different this or that: wouldn't happen.

They have made many different models /options available just by asking and gauging interest here on ss.org and other forums so they do work with us as customers and they do want to make things available that we need. Agile also has a custom shop that opens every once in a while where you can order axes customized the way you want, but expecting them to make modifications on their existing line just for one person out of the blue is overstepping yourself IMO and asking too much.

[/rant] Just had to get that out there.

tl;dr: Nuh,uh. And get whatever you want. Switching from 6-8,6-7, or 7-8 is not nearly as big of a deal as most people expect it to be.

TridentChaos

Reaction score
Actually, Kurts public relations are usually pretty awesome, and their return policy (if you're in the US) is amazing as well.

Consider if you'd asked some other guitar maker (esp, schecter, ibanez) to send you one of their guitars, but with different this or that: wouldn't happen.

They have made many different models /options available just by asking and gauging interest here on ss.org and other forums so they do work with us as customers and they do want to make things available that we need. Agile also has a custom shop that opens every once in a while where you can order axes customized the way you want, but expecting them to make modifications on their existing line just for one person out of the blue is overstepping yourself IMO and asking too much.

[/rant] Just had to get that out there.

tl;dr: Nuh,uh. And get whatever you want. Switching from 6-8,6-7, or 7-8 is not nearly as big of a deal as most people expect it to be.

im sorry but what did i 'expect' exactly? On my first email to him i actually did nothing but compliment his range of selection esp for left handers and praised there work and i asked did they do mods and that id be getting one of his fab guitars regardless. there was nothing of expectation about my enquiry, and to which i got back and i quote ' thanks,no the guitars come as they are, kurt.'

maybe i cought him on a bad day(two bad days 2 emails equially obtuse), but i know rudeness when i see and or read it. cheers for the advice though :flame:

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
On my first email to him i actually did nothing but compliment his range of selection esp for left handers and praised there work and i asked did the do mods' to which i got back and i quote ' thanks,no the guitars come as they are, kurt.'

maybe i cought him on a bad day(two bad days 2 emails equially obtuse), but i know rudeness when i see and or read it. cheers for the advice though :flame:
Kurt can be.. curt/frank :lol: at times.

And whichever one you decide to go with will be fine. It's more about the neck profile than the width/number of strings that'll be what turns you off of something most likely. Whoever suggested using a 6 string bass to compare was spot on (though imo it'd take something veryveryvery extreme to have a width that would be unplayable).

TridentChaos

Reaction score
Kurt can be.. curt/frank :lol: at times.

And whichever one you decide to go with will be fine. It's more about the neck profile than the width/number of strings that'll be what turns you off of something most likely. Whoever suggested using a 6 string bass to compare was spot on (though imo it'd take something veryveryvery extreme to have a width that would be unplayable).

cheers man, i cant see it being much of a problem for me with my giant hands anyway!

davidb1986

Reaction score
Go with the Damien elite 8. I have small hands and wanted an 7 or 8 string guitar and got a great deal on the Damien Elite 8 on eBay. The neck is thin and it is so easy to play. I didn't have any problems stepping up to it for a 6 string, and I don't regret it in the least bit. Of course playing for 10 years and actively playing in churches and with different bands might have helped a little. It is a super comfortable and super easy guitar to play. Plus the Black Cherry Quilt maple top is gorgeous, the abalone cross inlays look great, and the EMG 808s can be used for any style. (I play anything from Gospel Choir music to the low bassy stuff like Korn) If you want a good 7 string instead, the Damien Elite 7 models are nice too. Plus they won't empty your bank account with a big price tag.

RaceCar

Que te jodas.
Reaction score
if you got "giant" hands, then there's no question you should skip directly to an 8. Won't even be an issue. Just practice some 7 string songs in B for a little bit, then move on to the 8 string grooves when you're totally comfortable with the 7. :hbang: