Show me your best work to date!

• Thread starter ravvydabby
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DaftFloyd

Reaction score
I'm very proud of this track. That's the first time that i'm working with a singer, because i was only making instrumental stuff.
So, the result is a long track of post prog metal, finishing with dark jazz stuff!
I'm happy to share it with all of you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
I don’t know about my best, but this is definitely one of my favorites, probably because i had so much fun creating it.

MantraSky.

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This a little tune originally was something I did to demonstrate my BE-100 (modified) and Charvel CS S0-Cal (2008) It's not metal, more hard rock.....

jaco815

Reaction score
This is an album I did a year and a half ago as a tribute to my favorite math-rock band from the early 2000's, Ent. My friends Nick and Austin played the guitar parts and sent me DI's - I did everything else (editing, tones, programming, orchestrations, additional instruments, mixing, mastering, etc.) I added layers and extra instrumentation to every song to try to inject some of my own style into the original compositions and also try to imagine what Ent would have done in a studio with plenty of time to experiment.

Ent (Redux) - Spangler Smith & Kirk

My particularly favorite song on the album is "Megaman" - I love the haunting mellotron parts and the overall speed and aggression of the back half the song. I also love the back half of "Farewell to Metropolis" and the way the strings build against the guitars throughout the bridge.

The final song "Ent v. PiperCub" was interesting to produce. That song only existed as a really early-phase demo from the band that was mostly midi and one sparse guitar track performed by Scott Scheu. The band's second guitarist Carson McWhirter had never wrote any parts for the song, so my friend Austin wrote parts in Carson's style. There was something about the original composition that sounded like it needed to be an acoustic jam, so we did the song generally as an "unplugged" session, including drums played with brushes, upright bass, and upright piano.

I have more of my music in my sig block if you're interested.

Last edited:

ravvydabby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is an album I did a year and a half ago as a tribute to my favorite math-rock band from the early 2000's, Ent. My friends Nick and Austin played the guitar parts and sent me DI's - I did everything else (editing, tones, programming, orchestrations, additional instruments, mixing, mastering, etc.) I added layers and extra instrumentation to every song to try to inject some of my own style into the original compositions and also try to imagine what Ent would have done in a studio with plenty of time to experiment.

Ent (Redux) - Spangler Smith & Kirk

My particularly favorite song on the album is "Megaman" - I love the haunting mellotron parts and the overall speed and aggression of the back half the song. I also love the back half of "Farewell to Metropolis" and the way the strings build against the guitars throughout the bridge.

The final song "Ent v. PiperCub" was interesting to produce. That song only existed as a really early-phase demo from the band that was mostly midi and one sparse guitar track performed by Scott Scheu. The band's second guitarist Carson McWhirter had never wrote any parts for the song, so my friend Austin wrote parts in Carson's style. There was something about the original composition that sounded like it needed to be an acoustic jam, so we did the song generally as an "unplugged" session, including drums played with brushes, upright bass, and upright piano.

I have more of my music in my sig block if you're interested.
Dude I love your album art! So sick! More tailored to the whole album listener, rather than the hit single jammer for sure. I like the effort put into this, do you use a metronome for this type of thing? Or is it just something that you feel out as you go?

jaco815

Reaction score
Dude I love your album art! So sick! More tailored to the whole album listener, rather than the hit single jammer for sure. I like the effort put into this, do you use a metronome for this type of thing? Or is it just something that you feel out as you go?

Thank you so much! Most of the songs were done to a metronome, except "Song About ____" and "Magnetic" which were recorded live. To keep the live feel for the other songs, I automate lots of micro tempo adjustments - no section can be copied/pasted because the tempo is all over the place. Our guitarist Nick Spangler has an art degree, and he designed the art based on our input. I really wanted some pastel touches in there and I think he did an excellent job. I agree with you on the full album listening - I only listen to songs in context on an album; not a big fan of singles. Check out my Agora and On Impact albums in my sig below. They also are full album endeavors.

Tegara

Surgical
Reaction score

Third LP in the making. The album playlist will grow song by song until there's seven, as vocals get done.

xxxo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I listened to (at least a bit of) every song posted here and I must say some a really good !

I won't post my best work to date but something I made back in 1996, when there was no youtube or google and I was 15 years old without any knowledge to record my one man band on an 8 tracks techno program (techno maker) with only one tempo : 170. This was complicated.

I must show you a pic of me at this time because you'll see how awful my recording/"producing" setup was. And please don't talk about my wears or face haha.

So here is the very first song I recorded :

And the pic : NEW-73.jpg

Enjoy !!

jaxadam

Reaction score
I listened to (at least a bit of) every song posted here and I must say some a really good !

I won't post my best work to date but something I made back in 1996, when there was no youtube or google and I was 15 years old without any knowledge to record my one man band on an 8 tracks techno program (techno maker) with only one tempo : 170. This was complicated.

I must show you a pic of me at this time because you'll see how awful my recording/"producing" setup was. And please don't talk about my wears or face haha.

So here is the very first song I recorded :

And the pic : View attachment 109295

Enjoy !!

You look like you just came off of a 24 hour Counter Strike Beta 5 bender.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this the other day that this was one of the last things I recorded... over ten years ago. It doesn't really get going until 3:01...

Latest posts