Shure SM57 vs Beta58A for tracking guitars (demo video)

ThomasVB

Reaction score
We all know the SM57, but I wonder if anyone of you ever used the Beta58A for tracking guitars?
What are your favourite mics for tracking guitars anyway?

I made a comparison video of both:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeries

Banned
Reaction score
The real debate would be Sm57 for vocals??? Instead of 58, that’s just my issue lol

Descent

Reaction score
58A was a bit bright IMO but it works, need more eq in final mix. I prefer Sennheiser e609, even e835 over these two but I do use a SM57 now with a condenser (2 mic method) and like it a lot.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
A SM57 + *something else* is an awfully tough combo to beat. Even a pair of SM57s sounds pretty awesome.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
How were the mic's positioned in the demo? Mic position and angle relative to the cone can make a huge difference.

ThomasVB

Reaction score
How were the mic's positioned in the demo? Mic position and angle relative to the cone can make a huge difference.
I think I recorded the SM57 first and reamped through the 58A later. I tried to match the tones as much as possible, both mics aimed straight towards the speaker, not with an angle.
The thing is, you can approach creating a comparison in different ways. In this case I matched the tone by using the same mic position and than experiment with going more center or to the side to match the sound better.
I think they were more or less almost in the same position physically.

Meldville

THE DOCTOR OF DOOM
Reaction score
57 + one of these is always gonna be my go-to for guitars
MD421
E906
M160

Latest posts