Signed white JP70D?

• Thread starter progman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

progman

Reaction score
I would post this on the jp70 owners thread, but it really doesn’t get that much attention. I have the opportunity to get one of the limited edition white jp70s hand signed by JP. I spoke with Sterling and they said the guitar (not signed) would sell for 850$. The store I am buying it from will ship it for free and they are selling it to me for 800$ and they want 30$ for the signature. So, 830$ plus tax. Just to let people know, I have been on a mad hunt for a 25.5 scale super easy to play 7 with a trem that would be around 800$. I bought the black jp70 from Guitar Center. I loved the way it played, but I didn’t like the matte finish and I thought the tone was lacking through my podhd500x. So, I returned it. Actually, the EMG’s in my Schecter Damien Elite 8 sound much better with my pod using an Alto 12 Pa speaker than the stock jp pups. I want to know two things.

1. Do you think I should go for it? This will be my main 7 and the only one I will have for the foreseeable future. I do not want to buy a guitar used online unless through GC. I was trying to get a used Ibby1527, but they are hard to find and go for 750$.

2. Specifically about the crunchlab/liquidfire (comes with this version) vs the stock jp70 pups…How much of an improvement will there be? I would like to hear from anybody, but especially from people who have compared the crunchlab/liquidfire vs the stock jp pups. I know many have made this upgrade with the regular 70.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

progman

Reaction score
I would like to know why my post was moved from the 7 string to the beginner section. Looking over some of the recent 7 string section posts, my post is on par or more detailed/specific than most of them. I am not one to start trouble on a forum, but I kindly would ask a moderator to take a closer look at my post and consider moving it back to the 7 string section as it has about 4x the viewers. This is a big purchase for me and I only have about 14 days to pull the trigger on this specific JP70D.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
The CL/LF pickups will be way better than the stock jp70 pickups. If you already had one and liked it, getting the jp70D would be good for you. You could alwasy sell the CL/LF pickups and replace them with something else if you dont like them.

MrPowers

Reaction score
I would just go for it. You can always swap different pickups in if you dont like them.

I played one of the JP70's with the standard pickups and didn't actually think that it sounded too different from the JPX-7 I played that had the CL/L combo. However the CL/L sounded clearer and a little less boomy.

progman

Reaction score
The CL/LF pickups will be way better than the stock jp70 pickups. If you already had one and liked it, getting the jp70D would be good for you. You could alwasy sell the CL/LF pickups and replace them with something else if you dont like them.

You used to have the jp70, right? And you did change to the CL/LF's, right? I guess your the man to talk to. If you are saying they will sound WAY better, then that will definitely sway my decision. I loved everything about the 70
except the tone. How do the CL/LF's compare with EMG 707's? The whole idea is that this guitar will need nothing more than a good setup. So, I if get this guitar I am sticking with the pups.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I would go for it!

I think the stock PUs actually sound quite good, but I upgraded two of my JP70s: one with the CL/LF and the other one with AirNorton/Tonzone combo.
Out of the two I like the LF/CL better, and yes, they sound better than the stock-PUs.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
I put BKP blackhawks in mine, which I love, but my JP7 and my LTD KH-202 have/had the CL/LF combo. The CL/LF are better than the EMG 707s because IMO they are passive, which you dont need a battery, and sound better. Santuzzo is right; it sounds like the guitar will be good for you.

You used to have the jp70, right? And you did change to the CL/LF's, right? I guess your the man to talk to. If you are saying they will sound WAY better, then that will definitely sway my decision. I loved everything about the 70
except the tone. How do the CL/LF's compare with EMG 707's? The whole idea is that this guitar will need nothing more than a good setup. So, I if get this guitar I am sticking with the pups.

I would go for it!

I think the stock PUs actually sound quite good, but I upgraded two of my JP70s: one with the CL/LF and the other one with AirNorton/Tonzone combo.
Out of the two I like the LF/CL better, and yes, they sound better than the stock-PUs.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
DO it.

I haven't heard much bad about those guitars and frankly I would buy a lemon rind with JP's signature on it for a couple hundred. and I would cherish that rind.

Fangirling aside- I don't think you'd regret the purchase :)

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Yep. What Svava said. I was hoping my guy who got my Majesty ordered for me would have met with JP and got one that was signed. I was willing to pay WAY more than $30 for a signature (let's just leave it at that lol).

I did get to shake the hand of one of my officers that shook hands with the president when he was here... So that was pretty cool, except for it's probably the same hand he uses to shake hands with beef, so... THE POINT I'M TRYING TO MAKE is that yes; GO FOR IT!!!! Buy two if you can!!

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
If I were you I'd snag a Trans Purple/Green JP70 and get the pickups yourself, you'll save yourself a hell of a lot of cash and not have a matte finish like that other JP70 you said you bought.

I personally wouldn't buy a guitar or pay extra for an actual signature haha, but that's just me. I'd say if you really like the Pearl White Finish better than the others and really want it, go for it. But if it's not a matter of the white finish, I'd just go for the others that are already out.

progman

Reaction score
If I were you I'd snag a Trans Purple/Green JP70 and get the pickups yourself, you'll save yourself a hell of a lot of cash and not have a matte finish like that other JP70 you said you bought.

I personally wouldn't buy a guitar or pay extra for an actual signature haha, but that's just me. I'd say if you really like the Pearl White Finish better than the others and really want it, go for it. But if it's not a matter of the white finish, I'd just go for the others that are already out.

I was thinking about doing this instead, but...

1. I am not good with working on guitars.
2. The trans is 630, plus 150 for the pups. There is 780 right there, plus some stuff I would have to buy to work on the guitar. The place I am buying it from is not charging me tax either, so 830$. If I had someone put in the pups, it would actually come out to more than 830$

I am not buying it for the sig, but it is a big plus. I put a deposit on the guitar to hold onto it, but I still haven't made up my mind yet, so more opinions are welcome.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Yep. What Svava said. I was hoping my guy who got my Majesty ordered for me would have met with JP and got one that was signed. I was willing to pay WAY more than $30 for a signature (let's just leave it at that lol).

I did get to shake the hand of one of my officers that shook hands with the president when he was here... So that was pretty cool, except for it's probably the same hand he uses to shake hands with beef, so... THE POINT I'M TRYING TO MAKE is that yes; GO FOR IT!!!! Buy two if you can!!

President is cool n' shit but... He ain't no Petrucci.

One of the reasons I jumped on getting my 13 ordered is cause EBMM agreed to honor the deal they had with GC during December- order one and get a box set of DT's new album hand signed by JP.

I already have the box set. But I am hoping if I sniff the corner I may be able to discern what JP's hand smells like...

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

progman

Reaction score
Still think this post should go back to the 7 string forum.

Anyway...when it comes in, I am going to have them ship it. I called Fedex and they said it would be about 25 bucks with insurance to ship it back. The store said that if I didn't like it, I would have a week to return it. So, I get I have nothing to lose.

The funny thing is that I don't even like Dream Theater that much. Don't get me wrong, I love Petrucci as a guitarist, but I can't take the power singing.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
The funny thing is that I don't even like Dream Theater that much.

You_31952b_1439953.gif

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
In that case I don't blame you for doing it for such a small difference in price, makes sense. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

And honestly, I'm going to have to agree. I actually don't enjoy Dream Theater that much at all, contrary to what my guitars will say, I actually bought and acquired them for their tone and playability. But Dream Theater has always been a band that I respected but never enjoyed that much, there are quite a few songs I love and some that I enjoy. But I don't love them as much as some people do :cool:

:lol: Just messing Svava, but you definitely dig John and DT from what I've read of your posts haha.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
In that case I don't blame you for doing it for such a small difference in price, makes sense. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

And honestly, I'm going to have to agree. I actually don't enjoy Dream Theater that much at all, contrary to what my guitars will say, I actually bought and acquired them for their tone and playability. But Dream Theater has always been a band that I respected but never enjoyed that much, there are quite a few songs I love and some that I enjoy. But I don't love them as much as some people do :cool:

:lol: Just messing Svava, but you definitely dig John and DT from what I've read of your posts haha.

I mean I listen to other stuff but...

Man the month I picked up the guitar was the first time I heard Dream Theater. The only other band I've ever fell in love with that much was Nightwish and that was like... 8 years ago now.

I have listened to every song, watched every vid I could find.

It's becoming a bit creepy- like I was in a guitar lesson the other day and my instructor played a chord, a C MAJ 7 in First inversion with the root on the 5th string and I was like "Oh that's the chord played in the middle section of A Change of Seasons isn't it?"

We looked it up

It was.

Note for note. Same voicing. Everything.

My fangirling is getting ridiculous ><

I learned to play the intro to The Dark Eternal Night before I learned to play a one octave major or minor scale.

I have a video on youtube of me attempting it on like the 3rd month after I picked up the guitar >< you can imagine how that went....

This is when I was learning how to tune the instrument.

The music just speaks to me- I love it. The harmonies and melodies all just work great the solo's make my jizz my pants and I've always had an aversion for growl vocals- and DT seems to be one of the few prog bands w/ vocals that are clean. Definitely the best in my opinion....

Then a few months after I started playing I picked up a JPXI at GC and fell in love with it- and that was actually a surprise because at first (I was pretty stupid) i thought they were kinda ugly. But then I played it and fell in love with it for what it was xD! Fast forward to now when I've finally saved the cash for one and my JP13 should come within 2 months ><

I even play through a Mark V.

AND THUS I have earned the right to unreasonably attack people on the internet for expressing innocent opinions about DT :yesway:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Lol, I can definitely appreciate your passion. My old guitarist was just like that, obsessive with Dream Theater so much so that our band was turning more into a DT cover band, which I had no interest in pursuing lol. Considering it's a single guitar band as well, it wouldn't have worked out. He played through a Mark V, and he swore by it haha.

My first experience was with a loaded JP6 I traded for, I didn't like how it sounded because of the D-Sonic, but eventually I tried the Crunchlab. Turned it around for me, made me realize the guitar plays and sounds brilliantly, but I'd just need to switch the pickups.

progman

Reaction score
After watching Rock Disciple, I have really been trying to like DT's stuff. I like a fair amount of the music, but when the singer comes in with a vibrato power stuff I'm out. His more "wispy" singing is ok.I am actually liking a lot of their 90s stuff more. Actually, I am in the same boat where I can't stand death growl anymore. Any band that screams more than like 50% of the time, I can't listen too.

If you are looking for some proggy bands that don't scream most of the time, I suggest: (if you haven't heard them already)

Disperse
Last Chance to Reason (level 3)
Dead Letter Circus
The Safety Fire

If I keep the guitar I will probably make an NGD thread for it (my first).

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Lol, I can definitely appreciate your passion. My old guitarist was just like that, obsessive with Dream Theater so much so that our band was turning more into a DT cover band, which I had no interest in pursuing lol. Considering it's a single guitar band as well, it wouldn't have worked out. He played through a Mark V, and he swore by it haha.

My first experience was with a loaded JP6 I traded for, I didn't like how it sounded because of the D-Sonic, but eventually I tried the Crunchlab. Turned it around for me, made me realize the guitar plays and sounds brilliantly, but I'd just need to switch the pickups.

I actually don't like doing covers so much. I suck at it actually. I am fairly pleased with my writing abilities- and you can tell who my influences are but I don't think I could do a cover band type thing xD

I think it's a good thing that I can get into JP's playing- co-guitarist in my last band was a huge fan of Born of Osiris and that type of ultra-heavy stuff... The issue with that is that people who tell me they're influenced by that never seem to notice that there are actual harmony-melody things going on in the really good bands of that genre. They just lock into 7/8 and start djenting and it's bloody annoying....

I remember nearly losing my head when we wrote a totally killer song and the drummer insisted we add about 3 breakdown sections ><

I tryyyyy to emulate Tosin Abasi- I do it very poorly but... xD

I'm glad my first JP experience was with a good guitar- I played one at a guitar shop the other day.... I think the strings were made of sandpaper >< I hate it how some stores will treat those guitars....

After watching Rock Disciple, I have really been trying to like DT's stuff. I like a fair amount of the music, but when the singer comes in with a vibrato power stuff I'm out. His more "wispy" singing is ok.I am actually liking a lot of their 90s stuff more. Actually, I am in the same boat where I can't stand death growl anymore. Any band that screams more than like 50% of the time, I can't listen too.

If you are looking for some proggy bands that don't scream most of the time, I suggest: (if you haven't heard them already)

Disperse
Last Chance to Reason (level 3)
Dead Letter Circus
The Safety Fire

If I keep the guitar I will probably make an NGD thread for it (my first).

I like James cause he's unique sounding. I didn't love him at first- and most of my life I've preferred female vocals (I would shoot my cat to see Tarja sing with DT ><) but he has some pretty good moments. Like in Illumination theory I thought that he did really well.

But I am tolerant of most non-scream vocal styles. The growling and screaming just... I won't even listen to a whole song at this point. It gets really obnoxious.

I don't mind it so much in Trivium because Heafy has an excellent clean sound and they mix it up and use it musically. But that's one of the reasons I cannot listen to Born of Osiris or Within the Ruins (I think that's what they're called) or any number of these "prog" metal bands. (DJENTBANDS><)

I've only heard Disperse from that list. I pretty much shit my pants when Zytecki did that weird sweepy thing at the beginning of Enigma of Abode- that was freaking cool.
I'll have to check out the others! Thanksz!

Latest posts