SilentMelodiesStudio Videos Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn't that the "Nevermind" preamp? Sounds awesome man, great riffing :hbang:

wakjob

Reaction score
This is the channel/mode that FLOORED me the first time I played a Mark V.

I'm a tweed amp fan, and this is super close & convincing to the real deal.

How do you like the Studio Preamp in your rack?

protest

Reaction score
Awesome. Sounds like Baroness.

I go back and forth on wanting a Mark V. It has so many sounds, but the lead channel has always seemed just not quite right to me. I really preferred the IV and JP2C in that regard, but the Mark V's first two channels are awesome.

Jaxcharvel

Reaction score
Very nice. The MV is so ridiculously versatile. I usually keep my orange channel on edge mode. Such a beautiful edge of breakup, slightly crunchy tone.

SilentMelodiesStudio

Reaction score
Decided to give the Sansamp PSA 1.1 another chance....direct recorded into my Tascam US-1200... guitars are double tracked.

SilentMelodiesStudio

Reaction score
This is the channel/mode that FLOORED me the first time I played a Mark V.

I'm a tweed amp fan, and this is super close & convincing to the real deal.

How do you like the Studio Preamp in your rack?
The Studio Pre is an awesome preamp especially in combination with my Mesa 2.Fifty poweramp. Quite an old unit but still applicable for doing modern metal stuff. I didn´t really tried to use it for cleans or crunchy / slightly overdriven tones though ;-) A lot of people like its clean tones as well, so, I might give it a try in the future.

SilentMelodiesStudio

Reaction score
Great demo! This is a pretty accurate representation of each amp and while they each sound good in their own way, but I prefer the Mark overall. Not really surprising to me since I owned a Triple Rectifier and traded it for a Mark V that I ended up liking a lot more.

One trick I used to use with my Mark V was to actually boost the crap out of the midrange eq knob and use the preset knob set more aggressively to compensate. This had a similar effect as boosting the front end with a TS-style boost with a mid hump, though I'd still boost the front end with an 808 for even more aggression. My settings ended up looking something like Gain at 1:00, Treble at noon, Mid at 4:00, bass just above 9:00, presence around 11:00-11:30, channel master around 11:00 or noon, Mark IV mode, bright switch on, preset knob at 1:00-1:30, 90w, pentode. I think using the preset knob gives a slightly different/more modern character as opposed to the "regular" V settings with the sliders :2c:
Thanks for your feedback and for providing your amp settings. Have to try that soon ;-)

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
The recto has a certain thing to its open string chugs that I don't hear from anything else. Like a sort of glassy 'spronk'.

I'd have one for that alone. Tried to get the same thing from my brother's Engl powerball that I've borrowed but I'm not having any luck.

Petrucci said it in one of his recent videos, the low-end you get from a Mesa is very specific, and no other amp really does it right. Having said that, the Mark and Recto amps are different flavors of the same thing. They're different enough to carve their own niche, but they're also similar enough that you can get them sounding pretty close. In my last band, I played a Triaxis/2:90 and our second guitarist had a triple rec, and we could get them to sound really close.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Petrucci said it in one of his recent videos, the low-end you get from a Mesa is very specific, and no other amp really does it right. Having said that, the Mark and Recto amps are different flavors of the same thing. They're different enough to carve their own niche, but they're also similar enough that you can get them sounding pretty close. In my last band, I played a Triaxis/2:90 and our second guitarist had a triple rec, and we could get them to sound really close.
Any suggested settings to get my Mark V sounding in the Rectifier ballpark?

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Any suggested settings to get my Mark V sounding in the Rectifier ballpark?

I don't have a lot of hours on a Mark V, but here is my old rhythm sound from my Triaxis which came damn close to a recto sound. That LD2 Red, which I think is called Extreme on the Mark V, is just brutal when you engage the 5 band EQ in that classic Mesa V.

2009_rig.jpg