Skervesen DAT neck. Impressions/thoughts?

• Thread starter Pooty Skills
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pooty Skills

Island Dweller
Reaction score
So I've finally gotten my Skervy build underway (more on this in another thread to come) and I've come to a bit of a tough decision that I could use some community feedback on. ENTER SS.ORG! I asked Maciek about the different neck profiles that they offer, and in addition to the standard compound radius (16"-18") fast/thin "shred" style neck which I've heard so much good feedback about, they also offer their own neck design, which has been dubbed the DAT neck. Though I don't much care for the name, I do like the idea of a neck shape that helps keep the wrist relaxed high up on the fretboard, which they claim it does. It's got a normal neck radius on the one side, and a flat taper on the other. I assume it's similar to the ENDURNECK, which I also have not yet had the pleasure of trying. Here's the pic they sent me.

2vj7uwy.jpg

So to you I ask this: Would you consider this option on your own build? Too risky?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Im not sure on that sharp point but after playing a few Endurneck's I think that should work just fine. My thumb would mostly rest on the upper part of the V curve so it would feel nice and thin where my thumb rests. I like it but wouldnt do it unless I tried it because of that sharp point. Maybe just stick with a more conventional neck profile and be done with it?

Zsharp

Reaction score
maybe they can send you a foam mockup of the neck profile to try prior to your final decision? I think Ola used to do that for customers interested in the endurneck, at the price point of your custom you want to be totally happy and you won't know for sure until you try it!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not a fan of V necks to begin with, and that just looks hideously uncomfortable if you ever play with your thumb on the centerline of the neck (which I do) :2c: It might be nice for up high where your thumb generally shifts to the lower edge of the neck, but other than that it looks like it would be somewhere between annoying and painful. Again IMHO, YMMV, :2c: etc etc

Pooty Skills

Island Dweller
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, fellas. I'll admit, I was leaning towards getting the DAT neck for some time. I have so many other guitars with normal necks, I think it would be nice to have one that was different. But also, I would hate to spend what I'm spending on this build and get a neck that was uncomfortable. I wish that I had the ability to personally try it, and maybe I'll ask about that foam mockup.

teddy_baca

Reaction score
I'd personally stick with the normal neck profile, especially since there isn't too much information and reviews about DAT neck.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My advice would be do some playing and really pay attention to where your thumb rests. That would probably tell you more about whether you'd get along with it than all of our opinions put together.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
No point trying to fix what isnt broke, so I wouldn't do it till you tried it.

Pooty Skills

Island Dweller
Reaction score
I ended up going with the more standard profile, I hear it's great, for the most part, from the reviews I've read around this site and others. Still pretty curious about this neck, though. Hopefully some day soon I can try it or something similar for myself. Thanks again for the replies, also.

Latest posts