Small Budget Audio interface with USB cable Hardwired??

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
Im so sick and tired of my USB interfaces getting loose connections in the back over time and ultimately not accepting cables properly anymore. They go all wobbly and develop intermittment connection issues. Looking at you Focusrite 2i2 that I have had 3 of now and theyve all done this (first 2 got sent back within warranty - 3rd is now out of warranty) and ultimately its just annoying now (and no I dont abuse them)
SO, is there a budget 2 input audio interface that has the USB cable HARDWIRED so I dont need to keep plugging/Unplugging it into the rear and risk this happening again?
I done a quick google search and didnt find anything. I would be pretty annoyed if one doesnt exist.

Thanks guys

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I can't immediately think of one, and it would surprise me if there are any out there. Most interfaces just don't have their cables plugged in and out all the time, so it's nearly a non-issue. And, honestly, a hardwired cable is probably easier to break.

Have you considered getting a USB C extender/adapter? Something that is very short and that's disposable that you can leave plugged in all the time, and you plug your cables into that disposable jack while the main one on the interface doesn't get any wear?

Alternatively, you could try to do a mod yourself. It would be some pretty delicate soldering, but there's nothing magic about USB C. It's just pins and leads so you can just solder it, or at least someone who does electronics projects can help you with it.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i don´t think there are hardwired interfaces. but what exactly does your setup look like that this keeps happening? too short cable that tugs down on the usb port on the interface? or messy kriss krossing cables that tug on the usb cable? doesn´t have to be outright "abuse", but constant tugging can break connectors and cables. a really janky fix would be hot glue, i guess. but i´d try and figure out why this keeps happening instead of going for janky quick solutions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
i don´t think there are hardwired interfaces. but what exactly does your setup look like that this keeps happening? too short cable that tugs down on the usb port on the interface? or messy kriss krossing cables that tug on the usb cable? doesn´t have to be outright "abuse", but constant tugging can break connectors and cables. a really janky fix would be hot glue, i guess. but i´d try and figure out why this keeps happening instead of going for janky quick solutions.

I support hot glue - Like something that will stop the cable moving too much, but you can still remove it with a bit of effort if you desperately need to change/move it.

lewis

Reaction score
I was always using my 2i2 for home and gigs for backing tracks so ultimately after a few gigs of plugging in the USB, then removing it and plugging it in at home, then removing it and plugging it back in again for the next gig etc, the input is crap. Its not broken or loose in the back of the Focusite or anything, its only with how it grips cables.
Its basically had one too many Male USBs hahaha

every cable is loose inside the input resulting in intermittant connectivity issues

tedtan

Reaction score
You could tape it in place using gaffer tape or gorilla tape. Just cut thin strips that can wrap around the cable with long “tag” ends to attach to the interface at four separate point and angles.

This way its easily removable when needed.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I was always using my 2i2 for home and gigs for backing tracks so ultimately after a few gigs of plugging in the USB, then removing it and plugging it in at home, then removing it and plugging it back in again for the next gig etc, the input is crap. Its not broken or loose in the back of the Focusite or anything, its only with how it grips cables.

every cable is loose inside the input resulting in intermittant connectivity issues

Lol!

I think semi-permanently attaching a USB-C extension is your best bet here. That will give you a proper connection on the unit, but still let you detach your cables when you are moving around so only 6 inches or so stick out.

I mean, I have hear that 6 inches is the average size for male USB, so...

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

i´d rather say get two interfaces. one for home and that stays home, and one only for gigs. for the home interface you could go with whatever interface does it for you. for the gig interface i´d get something that runs off usb-c. it´s physically a much sturdier connector. i think in the long run that´s the more reliable and flexible option than doing janky fixes with glue or soldering stuff. it´s also less work moving the interface back and forth. just keep the gig interface in the bag when it´s not needed.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
i´d rather say get two interfaces. one for home and that stays home, and one only for gigs. for the home interface you could go with whatever interface does it for you. for the gig interface i´d get something that runs off usb-c. it´s physically a much sturdier connector. i think in the long run that´s the more reliable and flexible option than doing janky fixes with glue or soldering stuff. it´s also less work moving the interface back and forth. just keep the gig interface in the bag when it´s not needed.

Well check out this out of the box thinking 🤣 Yeah, you have the solution, ignore everything else.

randomas

Reaction score
If you want to end up with a hot sticky mess you could try a glue gun or epoxy and build a solid plastic gunk around it so it don't move no more. If you need any more really bad ideas, just ask I'm always available.:hbang:

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So you want a cable that eventually develops connectivity issues inside the jack cable connection instead?

Just solder a new usb jack.

Hot glue is good too. Don’t worry. It’s like solder but for kids.