Smashed tip of headstock. Repair or send back?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
is that ok to do? Won't it create issues with the return? I bought through Reverb. I can also follow up and apply pressure there I suppose.

If they're being difficult, yeah. You have the ability to get all your money back. There's no reason you shouldn't. Let them know your intent and if they don't do the right thing in 24 hours, do it yourself.

Life is too short to deal with this stuff. :2c:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neurosis

Reaction score
If they're being difficult, yeah. You have the ability to get all your money back. There's no reason you shouldn't. Let them know your intent and if they don't do the right thing in 24 hours, do it yourself.

Life is too short to deal with this stuff. :2c:
Always appreciate your experience on these matters. Thank you!

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I swear Covid killed all the world's smart people. That's a shame.
While not a guitar, I purchased a tailpipe that was wrapped in so much tape, stickers, etc. that it added an hour to the job. We have truly entered an era of unbridled stupidity.

I'd send that back.

neurosis

Reaction score
While not a guitar, I purchased a tailpipe that was wrapped in so much tape, stickers, etc. that it added an hour to the job. We have truly entered an era of unbridled stupidity.

I'd send that back.
I have already requested a full refund and ordered a replacement from Sweetwater. Sweetwater has a disclaimer that if you open an account you will get 10% off the order. Turns out that price is already included in the listed price so that's not cool. Reaching out about it :D But I think this is it. If I can get this guitar home in good condition I will call it a success.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I have already requested a full refund and ordered a replacement from Sweetwater. Sweetwater has a disclaimer that if you open an account you will get 10% off the order. Turns out that price is already included in the listed price so that's not cool. Reaching out about it :D But I think this is it. If I can get this guitar home in good condition I will call it a success.

Not a fan of sweetwater at all, but everyone besides me seems to have great luck with them so I hope you get what you want and it's perfect so the saga can end!

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score

The last couple Walker pipes and mufflers I got were like that. I said fuck it and left them on to slowly burn off. It's been a couple here's and I think the toasted stickers are still on there.

neurosis

Reaction score
Ok. They’ve agreed to the full refund and the guitar was returned early in Friday so we’ll see how that goes. A new one from Sweetwater just arrived. This one came in an oversized box with that inflated mold foam stuff that conforms to the shape of the box’s contents. So the Jackson box had about half to a full foot of padding around it. Inside the case they put some airbags to protect the fretboard and headstock and overall this was packed very well and snug. A completely different experience.

The guitar is beautiful and is very well built. It has the same finishing bugs as every Jackson from the last couple years (my experience is MJs , virtuosos and this is my first Korean built) where you can feel a bit of the transition between the parts of the neck in some spots but they smoothen out from playing.

My big dilemma with this thing now is that it’s scale length and headstock size don‘t fit any of my bags or cases so hoping for recommendations as I search.

The guitar is also very heavy. The body feels very dense. And it is very resonant. It feels like a les Paul in a good way but I’ll have to watch my back injury when using it. I am tinkering with the low string. Very snappy in B and a lot of harmonics dropped to A but less defined. Frontage moment I went from 56-58. now the string attack is more precise but the tone is not as full. I’ll keep trying options. Might just go half steps and pitch shift in the fractal Ringer the slinky feel I like.

I’ll try to post photos later. Not sure a full NGD makes sense. I believe somebody made one already.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok. They’ve agreed to the full refund and the guitar was returned early in Friday so we’ll see how that goes. A new one from Sweetwater just arrived. This one came in an oversized box with that inflated mold foam stuff that conforms to the shape of the box’s contents. So the Jackson box had about half to a full foot of padding around it. Inside the case they put some airbags to protect the fretboard and headstock and overall this was packed very well and snug. A completely different experience.

The guitar is beautiful and is very well built. It has the same finishing bugs as every Jackson from the last couple years (my experience is MJs , virtuosos and this is my first Korean built) where you can feel a bit of the transition between the parts of the neck in some spots but they smoothen out from playing.

My big dilemma with this thing now is that it’s scale length and headstock size don‘t fit any of my bags or cases so hoping for recommendations as I search.

The guitar is also very heavy. The body feels very dense. And it is very resonant. It feels like a les Paul in a good way but I’ll have to watch my back injury when using it. I am tinkering with the low string. Very snappy in B and a lot of harmonics dropped to A but less defined. Frontage moment I went from 56-58. now the string attack is more precise but the tone is not as full. I’ll keep trying options. Might just go half steps and pitch shift in the fractal Ringer the slinky feel I like.

I’ll try to post photos later. Not sure a full NGD makes sense. I believe somebody made one already.
Gator transit electric bag is what I use. Perfect snug fit that you can adjust with the removable velcro foam pads.

neurosis

Reaction score
That looks great! Even cheaper than Amazon! I did another try and it looks like the Mono M80 I have for my Ibanez fits but then I don’t have a hardshell to move that to. The dkm seems more prone to damage with the heavier body and pointier neck. Do you know if they make a hardcase for it? I saw that ABS one from Jackson for the soloist but reviews say it doesn’t fit this.I’m thinking the scale might require a bass case. I have to store this with my other guitars and will have to travel with it at some point so seems like a hardshell would be a good thing.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
That looks great! Even cheaper than Amazon! I did another try and it looks like the Mono M80 I have for my Ibanez fits but then I don’t have a hardshell to move that to. The dkm seems more prone to damage with the heavier body and pointier neck. Do you know if they make a hardcase for it? I saw that ABS one from Jackson for the soloist but reviews say it doesn’t fit this.I’m thinking the scale might require a bass case. I have to store this with my other guitars and will have to travel with it at some point so seems like a hardshell would be a good thing.

I'm not sure about a hardcase unfortunately. I typically just buy the padded gig bags unless a guitar comes with a form-fitting case.

neurosis

Reaction score
I'm not sure about a hardcase unfortunately. I typically just buy the padded gig bags unless a guitar comes with a form-fitting case.
I'll let you know what I find. It blows my mind that the Jackson cases I have don't fit this. At least that rigid gig case that comes with the MJ and other guitars is easy to store with similar cases, so would have been nice. I might end up buying a case for the RG that was in the mono and leave it like that. That case may even fit this guitar given how it fits 8-string guitars, too. We will see... thanks for helping so far!