So I was told I need new pots?

• Thread starter Djenty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Djenty

Reaction score
So I got my first 8 string a while back, Schecter Omen 8 2012. Comes with active pickups. Put a Dimarzio DA-8 in the bridge. I thought to myself, this doesn't sound quite right. Tapping notes on lower strings barely rung out. Then I realized I now have an active neck and passive bridge PU. I asked this dude on youtube whats up, and he said i need 500k pots. Just looking for confirmation. Also, Idk really anything about "pots"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
Mixing actives and passives is a no-go. You will need 500k pots for your DA-8 and either replace the neck or just don't use it. It sounds like your best bet is to take it to a tech since you aren't comfortable with the inside of the guitar.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
Yes you can. This is a very common misconception. You would still need a 500k pot for the passive and a 25k for the active. I have both in my 7 string and it works fine.

Yes, but you're not "mixing" them, you have different circuits for each pup then.

You cant use a 25k pot for a passive, and you cant use a 500k on active pups.

Well you can, but...

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
Im thinking what you would have to do is run a two volume no tone or two volume one tone setup. That way you could have a dedicated pot for each pickup.

Djenty

Reaction score
If I were to get the DA-8 for the neck too, then what would have to be done? Because I almost have enough for it.
I'd assume then I would need 2 500k pots? Could you guys direct me to some to buy for my guitar, to hopefully avoid widening holes, I don't want to do that haha.

olf

Reaction score
so is this correct: if i want one passive and one acitve pickup in the same guitar it has to have 2 volume pots? if it doesnt have 2 volume pots, i have to decide to go with a 250k pot active or 500k with passive!?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
so is this correct: if i want one passive and one acitve pickup in the same guitar it has to have 2 volume pots? if it doesnt have 2 volume pots, i have to decide to go with a 250k pot active or 500k with passive!?

:yesway: Neither of which will sound good
2 volume is actually an awesome set up - I'm really enjoying it!

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i think he has the same setup as i do: no tone pot, just 2 volume pots. Because who the hell uses tone pots, amirite? :lol: (i hate tone pots).

Use a 25k pot for the active, and then a 500k for the passive.
passive pickup goes into 500k pot then into pickup selector.
active pickup goes into 25k pot and then into pickup selector.
pickup selector output goes straight to the jack.

The way it's set up on your guitar right now is probably both pickups go to pickup selector, then into 25k volume and 25k tone pot and then to the jack. You wanna reverse the order of pots and selector, and dedicate a pot for each pickup.

olf

Reaction score
i think he has the same setup as i do: no tone pot, just 2 volume pots. Because who the hell uses tone pots, amirite? :lol: (i hate tone pots).

Use a 25k pot for the active, and then a 500k for the passive.
passive pickup goes into 500k pot then into pickup selector.
active pickup goes into 25k pot and then into pickup selector.
pickup selector output goes straight to the jack.

The way it's set up on your guitar right now is probably both pickups go to pickup selector, then into 25k volume and 25k tone pot and then to the jack. You wanna reverse the order of pots and selector, and dedicate a pot for each pickup.

if i don't have a tone pot, it will always sound like it is open/full? if that's right, i think 2 volume pots would be the best solution, because my tone pot is always open anyway...

captcoolaid

MHD PICKUPS
Reaction score
With out the tone pot it me become a bit hotter and more open. Remember even when the tone is open you are still filtering a tad bit of tone to it.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score

:agreed:

Yes MF Kitten I have 2 volumes and no tone pot.
I was actually expecting to receive Vol-Tone but there was some confusion later in the order because my original spec was double volume and we changed a lot around.

Upon realising this, I was going to change it to Vol-Tone but by the time the tone cap arrived I'd actually realised the double Volume is of far more use to me.
Tone, I can just change the treble on the patch...
But double volume allows me to compensate volume differences between pickups, make lead have more gain on the same patch, etc. Not to mention your 3way can then function as a killswitch haha.

olf

Reaction score
ok, i really tried to work this out myself for the last 2 days, but i think i have no idea at all and need help!

my problem is: i got the emg 81 solderless version and it would be no problem at all if i had 2 pickups with solderless version. but now my neck pickup is a seymour duncan with 5 cables out of it (black, red, green, white and bare)

is it possible that i wire my pickups like that: first they go to their volume pot, then they go to the battery bus (which is included with the solderless emg version) and from the battery bus to the switch and to the jack? at least that was intention how to build it

the solderless bridge pickup is no problem, but what about the neck sd pickup?

http://ratcliffe.co.za/articles/volumepots/bleed3.gif this is how the pot looks like. i have no idea which cables/colors i have to solder where and how i connect the pot with the battery bus.

i really want to do it myself...i want so save money but more important i want to understand it. i prefer to be able to do it myself the next time and the timer after that etc. and not going to a shop always when i want to change a pickup

thx in advance!

Latest posts