So, the rg2228...

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
@Elysian

it's nearly exactly the same as my rg220h

*and it rocks*

The only thing you'll have to get used to is the neck, that's really all.
And btw the bridge is damn nice and pretty comfortable for your picking hand if you want to rest it on it...:agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
See, it's not just the low tuning, as I play in A, so it's only really 1 1/2 steps lower, but more of what to really do with notes that low, as it ended up being very messy. Maybe it wasn't set up right, but the low string just went out all the time, and I literally had to tune it below pitch to get it to work.

That and I always see if there's any creative stuff to be done, to be fair, the stuff I play on 7's, doesn't centre around the low strings all the time, so having even lower stuff, well, it'd get used even less :lol:

I think it's part of kind of being of the opinion that lower than A and you really start to lose definition overall, but also, I really just wasn't impressed by the 808's, maybe it's me not liking EMG's, but i remember loving the sound of the fanned fret blackmachine when i played that.

I'd have to really give one a run around for a fair amount of time to really give it a fair chance, but both me and the bassist just weren't that impressed by it.

However, picking up a 7 afterwards did mean the 7 felt like a complete toy :lol:

It may have been a poor setup, but just overall, man, I really wanted to like it so i could go off and be more ridiculous, but it ended up feeling like the non fan fretted blackmachine 8 which I didn't get on with either.

Which is weird, as the fanned fret 8 was a lot more comfortable to play one, and was something I actually enjoyed!

Another thing is the note seperation, in A on the two low strings (D + A) it already gets quite muddy and undefined (no matter what the gain, it becomes more like chording on a bass, you start to lose the perception of intervals slightly, well, in my mind)

Or maybe I'm spoilt after the Blackmachine fanned 8...
Odd isn't it?

Stephen

Collibus/Scar Symmetry/Ex-Devin Townsend
Reaction score
I've heard some of the stuff by Collibus (Stephen the guitarist is on here), and they do melodic Progressive Metal, and they are starting to use the 2228's, and it doesn't sound like Polyrhythmic madness, far from it, its very very good too :D

lol cheers Stu.

I love mine, plays great and sounds great (and i don't really like EMG's either but i had no choice with this). When i got it it didn't hold tune too great but i guess that was due to the 9's i guess. lowered the action a bit and put .10-.56's on for the 7 strings then put a .68 for the 8th and its fine now. I don't have any problems with any muddyness, i use my OD808 to tighten my guitars tone.

The only thing which annoys me about the guitar its self is the volume knob placement, since the bridge was moved back to accommodate the extra scale length the volume knob is still in the same place and due to the way i play i end up turning myself down sometimes. Not a hard thing to sort out though, i never use the tone knob so ill put the volume knob where the tone knob is.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I never liked anything lower than low A so it'd probably take me a while to get used to it but I know i'd be able to and I probably would like it. A seven is perfect for me though. :agreed:

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
the rg2228 needs to be set up for how you like the guitar, like any other guitar the factory set up isn't for everyone. I go light on the strings 9 - 54 with a 70 for the f# it seems to work well at 27', my sherman which is at 28' has thicker strings and seems to do better with the riffing and chording. experiment and you'll find a way to like that guitar. i'm sure of it. also, the low f# works well with drone notes, try that out for awhile. haha.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
It took me about a week to get used to it, and really didn't find a personal use for it. The use is there, hell, my dad was chicken-picking bluegrass on it, but for my playing, it wasn't for me.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
I really, really want one but the price (€1,500) is a bit steep. I think I might go with the Agile 8 and buy a Lundgren. I'm not sure if I'd be missing anything except for a thinner neck which might bug me. Hmmm...

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
@Elysian

*and it rocks*

The only thing you'll have to get used to is the neck, that's really all.
And btw the bridge is damn nice and pretty comfortable for your picking hand if you want to rest it on it...:agreed:

my only concern would be running into the lower horn with the fretting hand, anyone have any issue with that?

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard some of the stuff by Collibus (Stephen the guitarist is on here), and they do melodic Progressive Metal, and they are starting to use the 2228's, and it doesn't sound like Polyrhythmic madness, far from it, its very very good too :D

he's actually has new music up too...

Stephen Platt

Collibus

MySpace.com - Stephen Platt - Middleton, Manchester, UK - Progressive / Metal / Rock - www.myspace.com/stephenplatt

MySpace.com - Collibus - Manchester, UK - Metal / Progressive / Metal - www.myspace.com/collibus