So this is what slap bass sounds like in the guitar slot (Song playthrough)

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
I took my yamaha rbx 375 5 string and just started a new project. I wanted more gnarl and my baritone prs did not give me the gnarl I was searching for. So I simply dialed in a good distortion tone and slapped that bass right and left (100% panned) there is also a third distortion bass in the middle for even more gnarl.

I love this and I will continue to do a full project out of this!

Playthrough of me slappin' da bass:

POD HD for tones :metal:

and a lovely picture of my bass
wFJQVp1.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Finding that I preferred to just use distortion on my bass while playing in low tunings is one of the main factors behind why I sold my 8 string guitar and started a project without guitar. :lol: Good to see I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Djdnxgdj3983jrjd8udb3bcns

Reaction score
For whatever reason, the tone screams Meshuggah at me, but like the guitars AND the bass all in one sitting.

EDIT: Also, what sorta stuff are you using in the POD to get that gnarl?

tssb

Reaction score
mean-sounding riff ! :hbang:
Have you tried playing the whole thing an octave higher with a clean sound, low volume, to complete the harmonies ? Especially in the bridge sections.

Skygoneblue

Frankensteeeeein!
Reaction score
Badass! I had one of those. RBXs before and loved it. Yamaha makes some great stuff.

Now, sir, find another bassist and do Animals as Leaders with two basses instead of two guitars.

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
Badass! I had one of those. RBXs before and loved it. Yamaha makes some great stuff.

Now, sir, find another bassist and do Animals as Leaders with two basses instead of two guitars.

I thought about planning something like that.. :D

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
mean-sounding riff ! :hbang:
Have you tried playing the whole thing an octave higher with a clean sound, low volume, to complete the harmonies ? Especially in the bridge sections.

Thank you!

I don't want to spoil to much but what I did in the full songs on that EP so far is use over 8-9 layers of things that play at once, it's the biggest wall of sound I ever heard.

Example: one song I have finished does have 3 layers of acoustic guitars, 2 5th octave shifted harmonies played on the bass, one distortion bass in the middle, one choir, one synth and one piano playing all at the same time.

I finish up this EP and release it in a month or two, keep an eye out for that! It's dreamy as hell (solos included)

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
For whatever reason, the tone screams Meshuggah at me, but like the guitars AND the bass all in one sitting.

EDIT: Also, what sorta stuff are you using in the POD to get that gnarl?

I manage to meshuggah with 3 bass lines instead of guitars? What is this sorcery :D

I simply use nearly the same distortion patch I made up like in my album (a prs baritone is used there) its a dual amp/chain patch with the angel fireball and the treadplate sim and lots of careful tweaking.

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
So I just made this in the middle of the night drunk after new years eve (I dont even remember how I recorded all that lol) drunken distorted slap bass content with vox for those who are interested in more :D

[sc]http://soundcloud.com/caynug/the-drunken-im-drunk-as-hell[/sc]

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
I dig it! I also dig that you have the same bass as me (albeit a different color)!

CD1221

Reaction score
That sounds great!

Would you mind either describing the HD500 patch, or uploading it? I just bought my first bass to use with my HD500 and could use some pointers.

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
That sounds great!

Would you mind either describing the HD500 patch, or uploading it? I just bought my first bass to use with my HD500 and could use some pointers.

Well it's really all about how you turn the knobs on your bass. I simply use 2 distortion amps, the fireball and the treadplate. A bit of EQ in there and a noise gate. The fatness in the overall mix comes from the third bass in the middle and from the mixing/mastering.

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
Oh and I use fresh daddario pro steels for this project, these strings are just orgasmic and really help the distortion tone!

And a little update on this project. The album is already done with about 29 minutes length (Might add another 1-2 songs) the release needs to wait till the end of january tho because my other album with 16 tracks just came out about a week ago. I hope I am allowed to do a new thread here in the bass section aswell as in the other sections just to keep those who might be interested informed.

I can't wait to release! If people will dig this stuff as much as I hope for then I will continue with more of it.