Solar Guitars by Ola Englund

• Thread starter zarg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I personnaly prefer higher output pickups but I hear nothing wrong with the duncan solar's, they sound good.
When i met ola, we were talking about the solar pickups and they are basically the SD Custom SH-5 but with an alnico magnets instead of ceramic. To me, they sounds quite good and if you are used to boosting an amp, the higher output pickups wont matter as much. A lot of people also never really mess with the pickup height, which I think leads to people thinking they arent good pickups since they are too far away from the strings.

But then again its pretty easy to swap pickups so you can drop in a pair of lundgrens or whatever you want instead.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kriff

Reaction score
I've been very nervous about these, but also curious. Have seen plenty of youtube videos where the QC isn't particularly impressive. Can't say I'm surprised given my experience with instruments made in Indonesia, but Solar just happens to be the only brand I can find besides LTD that offers affordable 7 string guitars with an Evertune. And my horrific experience with the Indo LTD Evertune I had makes me not wanna roll the dice on an LTD again that I can't test drive before I buy. But man, a 7 string E-Type guitar with evertune for $1349 (heh) sounds enticing.

Anyone have an E1.7FBB? gassing on it a bit despite it being a 25.5" scale.
yep now I've spent some time with this one (T1.6BOP-27+) the QC is pretty bad. The inlay is discoloured around the frets, a couple of the fret edges on the underside of the neck have been painted over, the tone pot is a bit dodgy so you can over turn it, and then when you turn the tone all the way down it also silences the guitar. The action out of the shop is also pretty high.

I think this is probably the last Solar I buy, I had an A1 last year which was similar and I ended up moving it on. It's also nearly 10lbs which is too much for me, I have been spoiled by playing headless for too long now.

That said, I am absolutely loving the Evertune. Really great.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
yep now I've spent some time with this one (T1.6BOP-27+) the QC is pretty bad. The inlay is discoloured around the frets, a couple of the fret edges on the underside of the neck have been painted over, the tone pot is a bit dodgy so you can over turn it, and then when you turn the tone all the way down it also silences the guitar. The action out of the shop is also pretty high.

I think this is probably the last Solar I buy, I had an A1 last year which was similar and I ended up moving it on. It's also nearly 10lbs which is too much for me, I have been spoiled by playing headless for too long now.

That said, I am absolutely loving the Evertune. Really great.

Thanks! About what I expected to hear, I suppose.

I was really hoping Schecter would increase their production models with factory loaded evertunes this year, but alas...

kriff

Reaction score
yeah it's not ideal. Trying to figure out if it's worth returning the thing but I'm not in the EU so I'd have to rely on Solar agreeing this is unacceptable rather than just using my right of return.

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
Wow, could you drop some photos of these things?

kriff

Reaction score
Wow, could you drop some photos of these things?
Yep here's the fretboard:
1711352663568.png

1711352692378.png

Two dodgy fret ends:
1711352719426.png

The fret ends aren't noticable at all if you don't go looking but it's a definite QC issue. The discoloured inlay I saw another post saying is maybe the fretboard stain leaking. You can also see how dry the fretboard is in that shot, I've not yet had a chance to oil it.

I might send these in to Solar and see what they think. Not really what you want to see on a $1,300 guitar, particularly a T1 model (not S by Solar or a T2 or whatever). That said they don't affect playability, it's purely cosmetic.

Zado

Reaction score
he fret ends aren't noticable at all if you don't go looking but it's a definite QC issue. The discoloured inlay I saw another post saying is maybe the fretboard stain leaking. You can also see how dry the fretboard is in that shot, I've not yet had a chance to oil it.

I might send these in to Solar and see what they think. Not really what you want to see on a $1,300 guitar, particularly a T1 model (not S by Solar or a T2 or whatever). That said they don't affect playability, it's purely cosmetic.

Honestly for 1.3k I've seen FAR worse issues. On 2k indo stuff as well.

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Im sorry to say it, but 1300$ is a lot of money. Here is what was just sold at Ishibashi for 1375$ (ESP E-II, Evertune, 7 string)

kriff

Reaction score
Yep here's the fretboard:
View attachment 140985

View attachment 140986

Two dodgy fret ends:
View attachment 140987

The fret ends aren't noticable at all if you don't go looking but it's a definite QC issue. The discoloured inlay I saw another post saying is maybe the fretboard stain leaking. You can also see how dry the fretboard is in that shot, I've not yet had a chance to oil it.

Solar have come back to let me know this kind of discolouration is within manufacturing tolerances but they could offer me 5% off a guitar from their store during this year.

Think that's probsbly it for me on buying new Solars if that kind of issue is standard for them.

Zado

Reaction score
Not sure about USA, but Solar is possibly the cheapest thing here in EU if you need a cool metal guitar

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Solar have come back to let me know this kind of discolouration is within manufacturing tolerances but they could offer me 5% off a guitar from their store during this year.

Think that's probsbly it for me on buying new Solars if that kind of issue is standard for them.

Whether or not the QC was acceptable, 5% is a "fuck you, pal" discount lol

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

is it an option to return it? honestly, they should offer to fix the issue or take a refund on it. I haven't seen discoloration on any fret inlays or anything like that with any of my guitars, although those are from jackson and ibanez.

kriff

Reaction score
is it an option to return it? honestly, they should offer to fix the issue or take a refund on it. I haven't seen discoloration on any fret inlays or anything like that with any of my guitars, although those are from jackson and ibanez.
No, I'm not in the EU so I have no right of return, and they have stated it's not covered by the warranty.

I don't mind keeping it, it's nice enough and I'm loving the Evertune, but defo won't get any more Solars in future except maybe secondhand with an inspection.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

If you try to return a Solar guitar, Ola makes fart noises at you until you give up. It's very effective.

He_Ma

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Im sorry to say it, but 1300$ is a lot of money. Here is what was just sold at Ishibashi for 1375$ (ESP E-II, Evertune, 7 string)

Not excactly fair comparison to compare good deal of used guitar to new prices. Where I live (Finland) I would pay over 3k€ for that E-II if it was new and about 1500-1600 for Solar 1.7 models with evertune, so at least E-IIs cost almost double as new here.. Also there are plenty of used Solars in our countrys local musicians forum for much less starting from 500€. Even though majority of those are different 2.6 models without evertune so that explains price difference a bit.

Especially 5% off not for this particular guitar, it's 5% for another purchase but only this year.

They just could have sent this instead:

View attachment 141093

5% Discount to new guitar is more like if you pay me other grand I can pay you 50% to fuck off.

Fingers crossed that my E2.6 shows up without flaws..

Latest posts