Songs with hidden patterns/meanings?

• Thread starter Isildur1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Isildur1

Reaction score
I have to write a freelance paper for a music class and I'm thinking of doing it on hidden patterns within song structures. All I can think of is Pi by ATB, though. Any other good examples like it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

avenger

Reaction score
Bathory - The Golden Walls of Heaven

Silent watching gaze
Across the blackened plains
Two eyes like burning embers
Awaits the moment for the
North star to blaze

Sythanagon winged
Angel rides deaths wind
To cloudless sky
And sound a summon call of war
Now burn does the skyline

Soundless wings lacerate the night
Angels of death emerge accross the sky
Thorned heads spiky limbs climb the air up high
Attack of the pearly gates
Now wait for the sign...

Seen now is His star
Ablaze now risen in
The sign of the one with
A numbeer not a name
Now given is the sign

The Golden walls of heaven

Sound is given now of charge
A voice of war does cry
The cry does sound the signal
And the walls are stormed
Now fly

Swords are drawn in soundless flight
Above the walls of gold
The winged angels of death descend
A thousand from above
Now heaven is in its' last throes of death

Sacred shrine of life and death
Apharamons gold key
The raping of holy interior
And all concealed
Now masturbated upon is throne of gold

Scattered battered wings
Along the palaces and streets
Trophy of the victory
Attached to spear of the Beast
Now spitted at is the scalp of God.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
YYZ by Rush fits the bill. YYZ is the international airline short name for some airport in Canada. The main riff you hear at the first of the song is YYZ in morse code.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score

this one is pretty famous too, the ride (or whatever it is) at 5:50 spells "eat my ass and balls" in morse code

and I read that this was done by Portnoy without the rest of the band knowing, maximum trolling style :lol:

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
The singer in my band wanted to write an instrumental piece called "To The Punks" in which the interval vectors of the motives spelled out "fuck you" in binary code, but then he realized that he would need to actual work in order for that to happen.

Necky379

Reaction score
That 10,000 days track is pretty nutty. Googled it for some more info and found this 10 Mind-Blowing Easter Eggs Hidden in Famous Albums | Cracked.com 2 pages of hidden stuff on albums, may be what you're looking for, pretty cool read even if it's not.

btw if you dont know whats going on in that 10,000 days bonus track google it, there's hidden numbers and meanings out the ass

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
maudlin of the well - leaving your body map/bath has some huge code involved but I don't think anyone has ever cracked it :D

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Tool's album 10.000 days have songs that work perfectly togeth when played at the same time, google that shit! It's pretty amazing, and even the vocals work together, and everything!

Also, look into Radiohead's albums. They have some IIIIINSSSAAAAAAAAANE stuff going on! Their "in rainbows" album had all sorts of references, both musically and in the titles of the album and songs, to the number 10 and other things, and the main part of the title song, where he sings the title of the song/album in the background, occurs exactly at the golden ratio point of the album's length.
And then, the songs on that album, and their previous album before that, interlace perfectly between each other, so you can play songs from the two, back and forth, and get a whole other album that works together, with the songs blending perfectly into each other.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
there's a mudvayne song where as they're winding the song down they do the beats in groupings. counting up from 1 to 4, and then back down again.

ie: duh, duhduh, duhduhduh, duhduhduhduh, duhduhduh, duhduh, duh, duhduh, duhduhduh, duhduhduhduh.

i really like rhythmic stuff like this. it seems clever to me and if a band can make it REALLY work with the song then it's even better. meshuggah has a bunch of these too but they aren't as obvious. 1, 1 2, 1, 1 2 3, 1, 1 2, 1, 1 2 3 4. etc.

oddcam

Reaction score
Well it's not metal, but approximately 1/10 of pop songs that are not about sex are really about sex.