Soundproofing garage questions

• Thread starter bigredmetfan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bigredmetfan

Reaction score
So as the title says, I am turning my garage into a jam space

All the walls and ceiling are already insulated with the pink insulation and have a single layer of 5/8 drywall ( except the garage door ). Ground is concrete, as well as the curb that the wall sits on. There is also a door to get in from the inside of the house that opens to a landing about 10 feet high off the ground

Here's my plan:

I get free pallets from work, so I was going to attach them to the walls, then insulate the pallets with Roxul sound proofing insulation. Then I have been grabbing carpet scraps from local carpet stores ( and dumpster diving as well) and was going to cover the pallets, and floor in layers of carpet.

Good idea?

What can I do about the garage door? I would like to keep it working for moving gear in and out. It"s solid wood built in the 90"s, double car garage......keep in mind I don't want to spend a hell of a lot of money

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
One other thing you can think about is putting in some form of floating floor. That will decrease low end transmission particularly (which is what is going to travel.

With the Garage door, I'd try and just not have the inside surface completely reflective, but if the other walls have carpet and foam and shit on them, then it shouldn't be a problem.

bigredmetfan

Reaction score
One other thing you can think about is putting in some form of floating floor. That will decrease low end transmission particularly (which is what is going to travel.

With the Garage door, I'd try and just not have the inside surface completely reflective, but if the other walls have carpet and foam and shit on them, then it shouldn't be a problem.

What do you mean by reflective? Like don't put any type of foam on the garage door?

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Ok, so...

Sound can either be absorbed, reflected or transmitted.

Most of the low frequency energy is just going to straight through that garage door, but a lot of the high frequency information is going to bounce right back.

That's why you would want to float the floor. Treating the door is more likely to be an acoustics thing so that your garage doesn't sound like a bathroom when you play in it.

bigredmetfan

Reaction score
I would like to have less sound as possible leaving through that garage door, if that makes sense.....don't want
To piss the neighbors off, although one
Of my neighbors doesn't care, just doesn't want me practicing at 2am. I have already completed the back wall last night and
It already sounds better in there