Spacey Post Rock?

• Thread starter DXL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DXL

Reaction score
I'm looking for stuff like God Is An Astronaut: post rock with a heavy reliance on synths. Anyone got anything?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Datura

Reaction score
They do have some clean vocal songs but those aren't the good ones ;)

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
EiTS don't really use synths very much, if at all. They have a very layered atmosphere, but I'm 99% sure it's still all guitar or bass stuff.

If you want heavy synth stuff why not check out ambient/drone stuff like Brian Eno, or Stars of the Lid, etc?

DXL

Reaction score
EiTS don't really use synths very much, if at all. They have a very layered atmosphere, but I'm 99% sure it's still all guitar or bass stuff.

If you want heavy synth stuff why not check out ambient/drone stuff like Brian Eno, or Stars of the Lid, etc?

I already listen to a lot of ambient (Stellardrone, Geotic, Hammock) but it doesn't really have that much going on which is what I'm looking for (aka the edge that GIAA gives off). I realize I'm being kind of specific but I'm looking for that perfect in between: ambient synths with post rock edge. Like if EiTS had synths

Skyblue

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the amount of synth in it, but maybe Mogwai? They seem relatively close to GIAA in style, and they're a phenomenal post rock band regardless.

shellbound

Reaction score
How about something that's heavier on the synth/electronic side, but with post rock influences:

Lights Out Asia

Port-royal

Bitcrush

Dreissk

All of them are on n5MD label, so if you dig this stuff, check out the rest of the roster:

n5MD - artist roster

DXL

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the amount of synth in it, but maybe Mogwai? They seem relatively close to GIAA in style, and they're a phenomenal post rock band regardless.

Already love Mogwai and so far seems like the closest thing to GIAA that I have found. Also this one song by There's a Light which is also a great example of what I'm looking for. Especially starting at 2:30

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Maserati might interest you. They're not quite as ambient as what you posted, depending on the album, but have similar appeal IMO.

ghost2II2

Reaction score
Tides From Nebula and Jakob are unrivaled when it comes to taking you into space and punching you in the head when they get you there.

chinnybob

Reaction score
Synth-based post rock? Surely this thread is tailor-made for an M83 recommendation!