Spalted Maple, Black Limba, Quilt 7-String

• Thread starter skate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xifter

Reaction score
Pictures and cosmetics are one thing... But having held this thing personally I have to say the neck is the best neck I have ever held. Playing this thing will be a dream.:agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skate

Reaction score
Going into the Marketplace soon!!

Photo0764.jpg

Photo0768.jpg

Photo0769.jpg

Photo0770.jpg

Photo0772.jpg

Photo0773.jpg

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
man, that does look nice. The only thing that worries me is that neck joint. Is that how you always build them or is this an experiment? Ive seen heavily sculpted heels before but never with the neck sitting that shallow into the body. And usually they cut a tenon to act as a puzzle piece for stability. One thing is for sure though, If that holds up then it pretty much puts Pauls theory to rest that you need a large heel for neck stability. Nice build man.

ILuvPillows

Baby seal will destr
Reaction score
Great build, but why are the treble strings positioned on the wrong side of the tuning pegs?

Khoi

Reaction score
looks quite incredible, just something about the body is throwing it off for me. The bottom looks a little wide and fat, which doesn't contrast the skinny top part too well. Just my opinion, but the build and colors and everything else looks absolutely amazing

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
looks quite incredible, just something about the body is throwing it off for me. The bottom looks a little wide and fat, which doesn't contrast the skinny top part too well. Just my opinion, but the build and colors and everything else looks absolutely amazing

It's absolutely stunning, but I agree with Khoi. I think it almost looks like you went with an asymmetrical body shape, but only modified the left half (looking straight on). As a result, it seems skinny and a bit bottom heavy as the girth of the body is inherently opposite the neck.

Regardless, I have to applaud the original shape; I don't think I could keep myself from copying another shape if I were building my own. :fawk:

skate

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. In regards to the body being a little heavy on the bottom end(I call this my fat bottom guitar to go along with my Fryette cab), I totally agree. This was the first body that I ever made and I wanted it to stay the way that I made it when I first stated out. Its as a learning experience. Where I was to where I am. No regrets.

The spalted maple fingerboard has stood up to whatever I have done to it. I have a set of 59 thick strings on it now and it is rockin. If you ever want to use spalted maple for anything... make sure you have a lot of patience because you are gonna need it.

Anyway... my two cents. I'll try and get a sound clip up when I get the time.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Oh my gammit, that's hot! I applaud your mad-scientist effort with the FB!

J7string

Reaction score
That top, that board.... THAT NECK!!!! I wish I could do that... That's beautiful.