Ss.org RAW challenge thread.

• Thread starter Tang
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
as per TP's suggestion, we're going to try and keep the RAW stuff in another thread to try and keep it as organized as possible.

So to start us off, Rook posted a mystery RAW and I took a shot of it. Top is his RAW file and bottom is my edit. I can post my settings if anyone is interested.

rawchallenge by nrrfed, on Flickr

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Here's my take on Tang's leaves, raw on the left.
TangRawChallenge1.jpg

Here's my RAW file for editing, enjoy.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Here's my take on Tang's leaves, raw on the left.
TangRawChallenge1.jpg

Here's my RAW file for editing, enjoy.

That's pretty damn close to how I processed mine. Originally I was trying to drop the shadows down and use the silhouette of the leaves but I changed my mind pretty quickly. Love it, man!

My version of that shot:

IMGP3665 by nrrfed, on Flickr

I'm gonna let someone else tackle TP's shot, but I did download it and I'll post it a bit later.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Yeah, the silhouette of the leaves in that shot isn't particularly interesting - I tried that as well. I ended up creating 4 different RAWs with 4 different exposures, running them through Photomatix to mask in only the leaves atop the original, a little selective lightening, some sharpening and that's my result.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Yeah, the silhouette of the leaves in that shot isn't particularly interesting - I tried that as well. I ended up creating 4 different RAWs with 4 different exposures, running them through Photomatix to mask in only the leaves atop the original, a little selective lightening, some sharpening and that's my result.

Nice, sir. I'm having a blast playing with your file especially since I'm starting to do proper portraits like that.

Whammy

Reaction score
I really like this. Mainly from the point of view I get to process photos which aren't my own. This takes me out of my comfort zone which I like :)

I decided to do ThePhilosopher's photo.
Left RAW / Right Processed

A few things I did.
Changed the cut off point for the blacks.
to make the blacks less sharp and to
Decided to go for softer tones.

11814565326_cec39da529_c.jpg
11814555806_c1fed1c79c_c.jpg

A few things I did.
I changed the cut off points for the blacks...
This made the blacks more subtle and also removed the fold marks in top (less distracting)
11818078666_872e374a08.jpg

I evened out the skin tone. I felt the chest was a little to bright to the face. Same with around the eye. I still kept the brightness, it's just softer.

I normally shoot wide open so I'm not used to everything on the face being in focus :lol: so I brought down the clarity to smooth things out (probably a bit too much). I retained the clarity with the eyes and lips.

I added some sepia tones to the highlights for a extra bit of warmth...
11817811784_69729578f3.jpg

Removed the ear piercing marks too :lol:

Here is a RAW file for anyone interested...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/76kxjbk7knq1gnm/IMG_8578.CR2

Last edited:

Whammy

Reaction score
^ Sweet man :yesway:

We both have completely different styles of processing :)
I edited my post to be more descriptive with what I did instead of just doing before and after :lol:

Did my take on Whammy's! This is fun you guys :D Original on Top.

Nice man. I didn't quote your photo because it's huge :lol:
Here's mine.
11817468285_7d7cfc2e1f_c.jpg

I decided to use darker tones and White balance the sky

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
^ Sweet man :yesway:

We both have completely different styles of processing :)
I edited my post to be more descriptive with what I did instead of just doing before and after :lol:

I think my PSD file ended up with 20ish layers. I have a version without the skin toning done in that style as well, but that's the color grading my clients tend to ask for (since I guess I do that more often than not to various degrees).

http://www.bartkophoto.com/AndreaG/AndreaG_0038.jpg

Whammy

Reaction score
I think my PSD file ended up with 20ish layers. I have a version without the skin toning done in that style as well, but that's the color grading my clients tend to ask for (since I guess I do that more often than not to various degrees).

http://www.bartkophoto.com/AndreaG/AndreaG_0038.jpg

Yeah after seeing the original and then your final version I can understand how you ended up with loads of layers.
I don't mean that in a bad way :lol: I wouldn't have thought about the amount of work you put into it because the photo didn't scream of super processed, which is a good thing :)

feilong29

Reaction score
Took a stab at Rooks :D His is on top. I just played with the RGB curve, clarity set to max, fiddled with the shadows/blacks (lightened) and upped the contrast.

11820886955_13a5323a4d_h.jpg

11821295734_13fc390e46_h.jpg

Whammy

Reaction score
Nice :)
Are we just processing any photos now :lol:
I though we had to do whatever is next in the queue :shrug:

Whammy

Reaction score
My bad, I tried that bar shot but the file didn't work :/

No worries. Not giving out or telling you what to do. Just trying to make sure no one gets left out :)
By all means pick any photos you want to process :yesway:

Actually I had some issues with opening up some peoples RAW files. Once I updated my software they all opened.

feilong29

Reaction score
No worries. Not giving out or telling you what to do. Just trying to make sure no one gets left out :)
By all means pick any photos you want to process :yesway:

Actually I had some issues with opening up some peoples RAW files. Once I updated my software they all opened.

I had trouble with the dropbox file he posted. I'm hoping he fixes it cause I really want to mess with that one! But ya, this is a really fun exercise. I normally wouldn't do this but, Whammy, maybe you can try my file out??? Lol

Whammy

Reaction score
I had trouble with the dropbox file he posted. I'm hoping he fixes it cause I really want to mess with that one! But ya, this is a really fun exercise. I normally wouldn't do this but, Whammy, maybe you can try my file out??? Lol

Right click on his link and save the file to your hard drive :yesway:

That was actually a hard one for me to process :lol: With everything except the seat being so bright it was hard to make the seat pop out in the photo while keeping it in context.
11822346524_4333377bc5_c.jpg
11822203033_611346b6ab_c.jpg

I did color too be preferred B&W

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Having a crack at ihunda's (hey Giorgio :p)

BAH blown out highlights and focus in a funny place, this is gunna be fun haha

feilong29

Reaction score
Can't wait to see it Rook. I'm gonna probably redo mine:

11823036615_1139984129_h.jpg

11823310673_a416812430_h.jpg

Latest posts