Staccato Riffing- Is this possibly note by note?

• Thread starter ExMachina
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I've been learning some songs with some quick riffage and trying to get the tone to match. I noticed no matter what I did I couldn't quite get it to sound right. Obviously the dude has much better technique than me but I was looking at an isolated guitar bit and noticed this in the spectrogram. Those rapid decays are nuts, is it note by note or something, or maybe some low pass filtering going on between notes to get them to pop more. Anyone know whats up?

1685384408139.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aewrik

Reaction score
No, not without hearing it (or knowing what gear he's using). We're not even given a time reference. Is this the entire song, or a 15 second clip?

And yes, it's good and common practice to eq or filter out any unwanted/unnecessary frequencies. Whether it's done in post or not is impossible to tell from your example.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No, not without hearing it (or knowing what gear he's using). We're not even given a time reference. Is this the entire song, or a 15 second clip?

And yes, it's good and common practice to eq or filter out any unwanted/unnecessary frequencies. Whether it's done in post or not is impossible to tell from your example.
Some valid points. That's about 12 16th notes at 120 BPM.

Aewrik

Reaction score
Maybe an aggressive noise gate, then. Line6's default input gate does that kind of thing when you crank it.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i´d need an audio sample. that picture doesn´t tell me anything. it also doesn´t actually look like staccato. the definition of staccato is "
performed with each note sharply detached or separated from the others." but the picture is showing a continues string of notes. there are no gaps in between the notes. since you say in another comment it´s 16th notes at 120bpm, i guess you actually mean tremolo picking. and since you´re talking about matching the tone, we need audio samples.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i´d need an audio sample. that picture doesn´t tell me anything. it also doesn´t actually look like staccato. the definition of staccato is "
performed with each note sharply detached or separated from the others." but the picture is showing a continues string of notes. there are no gaps in between the notes. since you say in another comment it´s 16th notes at 120bpm, i guess you actually mean tremolo picking. and since you´re talking about matching the tone, we need audio samples.

I clipped around 8 second mark.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pretty sure the SoP guys recorded it without punching in note by note. They're insanely tight players.
Yea I agree, the way the high end gets brickwalled just looked odd. Was curious if there was some trick I didn't know.

I'm pretty sure they used a triaxis on all 3 albums which has that dynamic presence thing, not sure if that's contributing at all.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yeah, that´s just tight and clean playing. practice! make sure you pick hard enough and properly mute all the strings you don´t strum.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if I’m stating the obvious here but…. That’s a lot of left hand muting technique. Don’t pull your fingers fully off the strings. Plus your 1st finger acts like a barred mute for the follow-on notes (except obv the pull-offs).

And yes they’re tighter than my wife’s…

… jar of pickles.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
After hearing the sound clip it doesn't seem like the kind of riff you'd need to punch in note by note. Probably just a tight tone, a tight gate and a fret wrap.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can listen later but throwing it out there that maybe it's gridded and edited to be super tight?

No shade on the band I just know guitar parts like that are edited that way at times.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yea, obviously bryss is a tight player. I was more curious about that spectral edit looking stuff. The axis is missing but its up from around 16 khz to 20 khz. I was wondering if that indicated anything in particular, never seen anything like that.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Yea, obviously bryss is a tight player. I was more curious about that spectral edit looking stuff. The axis is missing but its up from around 16 khz to 20 khz. I was wondering if that indicated anything in particular, never seen anything like that.

Probably just whichever lossy encoder was used (MP3, AAC, whatever streaming sites use). Most of the encoders will start cutting at 16KHz depending on settings

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably just whichever lossy encoder was used (MP3, AAC, whatever streaming sites use). Most of the encoders will start cutting at 16KHz depending on settings
Hmm, it was a wav file from Bandcamp so didn't think that would happen but could be right.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Hmm, it was a wav file from Bandcamp so didn't think that would happen but could be right.

Possible they applied a low pass filter to the guitars or other stuff so other instruments/sounds in that space sounded better, like cymbals

Flappydoodle

Reaction score

I clipped around 8 second mark.

That definitely sounds edited to me. *Maybe* it could be a very aggressive noise gate. But to me it sounds like it was recorded at a lower tempo, sped up, and quantised to the grid. There's something with the note attack which isn't natural. I've experimented with recording at half speed and then doubling it, and it sounds just like this.

afterzaar

Reaction score
That definitely sounds edited to me. *Maybe* it could be a very aggressive noise gate. But to me it sounds like it was recorded at a lower tempo, sped up, and quantised to the grid. There's something with the note attack which isn't natural. I've experimented with recording at half speed and then doubling it, and it sounds just like this.
I was watching Dean Lamb's YouTube livestream last night. He was writing a song or something. And he recorded a riff at lower tempo and then he sped it up to 2x and it sounded so natural. I know that he is a great guitarist and he doesn't need to do something like this in their album recording. But this thing blew my mind. I can't imagine how many tech death bands have used this technique so far.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
I was watching Dean Lamb's YouTube livestream last night. He was writing a song or something. And he recorded a riff at lower tempo and then he sped it up to 2x and it sounded so natural. I know that he is a great guitarist and he doesn't need to do something like this in their album recording. But this thing blew my mind. I can't imagine how many tech death bands have used this technique so far.

Dean does it around the 10 minute mark for those interested.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I know that he is a great guitarist and he doesn't need to do something like this in their album recording.
he is a great guitarist and he absolutely does do half speed recording for the album. him and Oli joked about it during their interview with Trey from Gear Gods

difference is, unlike many guitarists now who also record music at half speed, he puts in the work to actually nail it