Stage Sound Poll

• Thread starter Regor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which is more important?

• Total voters

Christopher

Total Rondo Addict!
Contributor
Reaction score
Regor said:
The problem with that is, in the architecture of the TriAxis, the treble setting is a secondary gain setting in the LD2 modes. So if you back off the treble, you're backing off the gain. And it just doesn't 'feel' the same with lower gain (to me, even on 9.0 instead of 10.0). The highs are rolled off at 10k in the Furman. Helps to take the sharpness off. And that is something I've been doing 'since' that sound guy told me I was too sharp... so I dunno if that's helped the 'mic'd' sound or not.

I'll try doing the upper-mids thing next time I'm at band practice. See how that sounds.

I think the solution to the issue is to get another 4x12 and run both sides of my 2:90 at full volume instead of half. :fawk: :hbang: :hbang: :hbang: :hbang:

The second 4x12 might help alot if it were stacked on top so it was near your head.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Regor said:
I think the solution to the issue is to get another 4x12 and run both sides of my 2:90 at full volume instead of half. :fawk: :hbang: :hbang: :hbang: :hbang:

Then the cymbols won't cut. ;) Complimentary EQ will ALWAYS give you a better live mix than simply cranking everything and praying, in a concert situation.

It'll take a little while to get used to, I'm sure, but from what I remember of your tone you can probably get away with cutting the gain a bit and live. If worst comes to worst, also try raising your pickups to compensate - you might need to shim them, but IIRC a RG7 body by default puts the pickups well below the 2mm maximum you can get away with...

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm. I can't really answer this poll because I don't do either. I make sure my tone sounds good in the context of the band. House sound I have little control over. Stage sound is something different - there's been shows where I couldn't hear myself, but the FOH was great, so, whatever - I know what I'm playing. :lol:

Yeah, I've rambled and this is no help. For the record, I heard nothing wrong with your tone at Oade's, other than the fact that the room sounded like crap. Up close, it was fine.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I CAN'T EVEN COUNT HOW MANY TIMES I'VE DONE GIGS ON MUSCLE MEMORY ALONE, BECAUSE I REFUSED TO TURN UP LOUNDER, PARTLY TO AID THE SOUND TECHNICIAN, BECAUSE I AM ONE MYSELF, AND ALSO, IT CHANGES THE STAGE AT WHICH YOU CAN CONTROL FEEDBACK (FOR SUSTAINING PURPOSES OF COURSE, ALA HENDRIX/NUGENT)

OCCASIONALLY, I'D GET JUST A HINT OF IT BACK IN MY MONITOR, BUT AS LONG AS THE DRUMMER & BASS PLAYER COULD HEAR ME, WE WERE FINE.

IF YOU REALLY KNOW YOUR PARTS, "HEARING" THEM WON'T DETERMINE WETHER OR NOT YOU PLAY THEM ACCURATELY.

hirah

Contributor
Reaction score
i usually have a good foh mix and a good stage sound. but i spent ALOT of time with my sound knowing what it sounds like coming out of the speakers. my best advice is to sit down in front of your amp, with the speakers at ear level and adjust. then stand up and play. the sound will be different, but it is an accurate representation of the speaker cab. once you get familiar with how your amp sounds this way, it will be easy to adjust for live sound. and please, turn up the mids and cut back the gain. turn off the reverb, and drop the delay level.i've even played shows with my cabinet about 1.5 feet from the wall, facing the wall. you can turn it up more without blasting everyone in front of you, plus the whole back of the stage gets the sound, and the drummer can almost hear you. it just takes time and practice and consideration of the soundman, unless he's a real dick, to pull off a great live sound.

shredfreak

Reaction score
Been messing around today with my mAxe in front of my crate head and the sound i got now is pretty good for mixing live. Basically all i need now is a pedal in my effects loop to give me a lil solo boost. Too bad were playing without a PA tomorrow otherwise it'd be killer :wallbash:

Also noticed today how insanely loud it went :nuts:. Head on 3 and mAxe on 4 was more then enough to go over the drums

Sit in front of the amp and tweek untill it sounds good, earplugs might be advisable :lol:

RISKY

still got my no-no
Reaction score
my two cents of bullshit would be,
If you're playing a middleground venue or bar/club my advice is forget the sound guy, or the pa for that matter you can't trust the mystery meat...I think heavier bands usually need to assume they have to compensate for shitty sound at these places or you might be dissatisfied. If you see a stage you should hope they have good shit and give them a chance, hopefully you will hear a band before you that way you know if you need to crank it or not keepin in mind your stuff and their stuff. Hope for good sound with a big stage because it totally blows the other way around, honestly for the sake of peoples enjoyment of music if the place skimps on the sound and has some big ass stage you should go to the van and get axes and torches and fucking smite that shit you got half stacks (OR FULL!) and if you play in a small place like hundred and less bodies you got the goods, do you really need to mic that? isn't it like the middleman? toss that shit out of the picture
If your band needs to play LOUD and you are in a small venue let the sound guy prop up his mics and do his thing and you just dial in whatever sounds good to you on stage, but keep in mind what everyone before said about where your true sound is- in a small club thats probably right where the crowds gonna be hearing you at sorta so bend down to get to hear the actual sound but with the sound guy there ain't no fucking room for diplomacy in rock and roll even in this convuluted age of 2006 is there? As well there shouldn't! There are either people that want to hear you or other bands that have to play, so unleash that shit already!

RISKY

still got my no-no
Reaction score
somebody said 5150, and that reminded me... I played them for like a year at a rehearsal spot thinking the clean channel sucked because everyone told me it did. I just figured they were right, it wasn't great. But I guess it only sucked for cleans! I went in the rehearsal room after someone who had dialed this shit in that I never even thought to try. they fucking cranked that clean until you hit paydirt and it sounds like your crunch, rythmn, lead channel, whatever you call it, shitkicking channel and it sounded fucking nuts, it sounds 20% bigger than with the distorted channel if you get your distortion on the clean channel, like the grey version of the incredible hulk or some shit, anybody else use this? maybe it was that particular amp. I haven't used a 5150 in a while but I'd go and try to get that shit in again if I had to mess with one. I only played through it with those setting a few times. Those amps are greatand they are so cheap, why do ineed all this shit? worse than junk addict

Latest posts