Starting to Get Into 7 Strings

• Thread starter WFD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WFD

Metal.Technicity.XXX
Reaction score
Hellow Guys
How are Yah!?!??
im always loved the visual and aesthetics of the 7 STring World but never got into it cause i always get lost with the additional 7 th STring. q: ((((
i simply get literally LOST ahahahahah
i tried twice to get into 7 strings guitars by playing an ibanez 7321(pretty bad guitar. strings too close from each other and neck too fat ) and then a Schecter Demon 7.
Really bad guitar too.
Q: (
Plus, i had the same problem that haunts me with some certain models of 6 string guitars :
Its the Low profile floyd rose bridges... and maybe some larger scales that pushes the bridge position Backwards.
That simply makes me uncomfortable to play and the palm mutes doesnt sound as good and tight and MUTED .
so, most ibanez has that probem, and some of the newer jacksons too.
Q: (
but today i played in a 7 string Ibanez
Its the S7320
HOly SHit. That guitar's Playability is awesome and the distance between one string and the other are awesomely great and the nut is Wide Enough.
And,soemthign really unexpected : The Bridge is in the RIGHT Place for me
ahahahahahah HOly fucking SHit.
I Loved that guitar. q: )

Only thing i would change is the fact that it has a Thin S body shape.
i would preffer An RG Body .
Ill research on the ibanez site right now to see if they have the same guitar specs of the s7320 but in an Rg Body.

I Guess that guitar will put me into the 7 String Team again
do you guys have any tips on how to get used with the 7th string for , mainly,solos and scales?
i really get confused Q: /
and im really dont have any knowledge about music theory at all
heres my band Rest In Disgrace (New Layout & EP OUT NOW) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
well, Except my ears. always played by ear, the entire life
heres some of my videos
YouTube - WithFullDistortion's Channel

I Play Mainly Death/Black7Thrash Metal
JP

I would love to hear some advices, tips and comments about this thread.
HAILS

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Okies, first things first: count the strings from high to low first. This may seem silly, but if you're struggling with the extra string, it will make your life easier as you are starting to fiddle with 7's.

You have more range if you want to use it when it comes to scales and arpeggios, due to the extra available notes in any given position. This is also true for chord extensions and different voicings, but I assume from your post that the whole intricate chordal work isn't what you wich to focus on.

Basically, as a first exercise, get the B minor (aeolian) scale, which you'd normally do starting at the 7th fret on your low B, and move it to the 12th fret of your low B - you may not know hardcore theory, but you must know where the notes are in each string if you want to make this trasition nice and smooth -, and work your way all the way to the high E's B note (which is, naturally, on the 19th fret) and back. Do this in a 3 note per string pattern and feel where the notes are so you can used to it - it is an exercise I give to my students so they get the mechanics of the extra string. ;)

Murmel

Reaction score
Erm...
Doesn't the S7320, Ibanez RG7321 and Schecter Demon 7 all have the same nut width...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WFD

Metal.Technicity.XXX
Reaction score
Hey fred. thank you very much for the tips
as soon as i get a 7 string, ill practice that
Murmel... i dont know man, but i swear that this ibanez has a larger nut.maybe its my imagination...but its better and wider and more spacy than the other guitars i mentioned
q: P
JP

Murmel

Reaction score
Alright I just checked. The nut width of Ibanez sevenstring is 48mm.
The RG7321 probably felt worse because it might've had a poor setup, they have the exact same neck other than the locking nut on the Saber...
And I think it's kinda ironic that you don't like the feel of trems, yet you bought one with a trem :scratch:

Oh well, as long as you're happy.

WFD

Metal.Technicity.XXX
Reaction score
ahahahah no no, sorry if i didnt explain it right.
the thing with tremolos IS :
1 - i get pretty well with original floyd rose tremolo AND Schaller floyd rose tremolo.(my favorite by far)
Although i have a problem with the NEW bloodline series by jackson and all those edge, lo pros, and other ibanezes bridges.. except this new one that i dont know the name , on the S7320. Its the ZR7 Bridge. it feels different from the other ibanezes i have played
PLus... i also played an RGD today , together with that S ,and the bridge still had the same AWFUL problem .. so, maybe this ZR bridge is different,
q: )

Ewan

Reaction score
I found the key to becoming comfortable with a 7 string is to treate it as a 6 ith an extra string.
When I started play8ing 7s I just played the first 6 strings fir quite a while. I didn't even touch the 7th string until I'd become fomrtable with the different feel of the 7 (wider neck, flatter fretboard, etc).
Once I could play all my normal 6string stuff comfortably on the 7string, then I started introducing the 7th string into my playing. It took me a couple of days this way, but never felt unnatural.

I think a lot of people struggle with the 7th string because they treat it as a new low 6th string and just transpose their style of playing down a string.

Your problems with tremolo feel will dissappear with practice. Just sitting down and playing a guitar for a short time is not enough time to adjust.

Do you sit when you try instruments? The difference in guitar position between sitting and standing is quite profound and it might feel a lot better if your standing with a correctly adjusted strap. I personally hate sitting, so trying guitars in shops never really works for me.

What kind of bridge do you normally use?

WFD

Metal.Technicity.XXX
Reaction score
I found the key to becoming comfortable with a 7 string is to treate it as a 6 ith an extra string.
When I started play8ing 7s I just played the first 6 strings fir quite a while. I didn't even touch the 7th string until I'd become fomrtable with the different feel of the 7 (wider neck, flatter fretboard, etc).
Once I could play all my normal 6string stuff comfortably on the 7string, then I started introducing the 7th string into my playing. It took me a couple of days this way, but never felt unnatural.

I think a lot of people struggle with the 7th string because they treat it as a new low 6th string and just transpose their style of playing down a string.

Your problems with tremolo feel will dissappear with practice. Just sitting down and playing a guitar for a short time is not enough time to adjust.

Do you sit when you try instruments? The difference in guitar position between sitting and standing is quite profound and it might feel a lot better if your standing with a correctly adjusted strap. I personally hate sitting, so trying guitars in shops never really works for me.

What kind of bridge do you normally use?

HUm... i love the Schaller floyd ROse bridge. but i had the fixed bridge into a 26' Schecter demon and that bridge position was too much backwards placed to my tastes. Usually the low profile ibanez and jackson bridges doesnt fit for me because they are slightly placed backwards the point where i use to rest my right hand. so.. having to change that affects the way i play. i tried it before and didnt get used. i tryed the jackson DK2 here and it had that same problem.
Its either the BODY shape/curve on the spot i rest my forearm and the hand on the bridge or the low profile bridge. because that ZR Bridge juxt kinda fixed all that bridge placing problem for me. i tested another ibanez there. the rgd and i hade the same problem. itried this one Ibanez.com | Electric Guitars | RGD320
It has a different bridge
PLus this ibanez is 22 frets intead of 24 so. maybe it has someting to do with it also. maybe?!?!?
all that i know is that i hate ibanez for 3 reasons : they sound cheap and plastic. the pickups are awful. the bridge problem.
besides of that... i always liked the ibanez designs and stuff.

I have no problem with original floyd rose bridges. schaller floyd roses and most fixed bridges and 6 screwed vintage style strat tremolo bridge.
But the Gotoh floyd rose and most ibanez models are a problem for me. ah... and long scales too.
JP
but just because the bridge placing move backwards and i dont know how to adapt to that bridge placement change. i tried it but i couldnt even palm mute ir right. ahahahaha the problem is with the palm mute technique. the rest is ok.

I have a Charvel Fusion Deluxe ->
dsc000883718300.jpg

By wfd666 at 2009-04-12

And The Ibanez S7320,Fender american Standard strat 40th anniversary , and a gibson flying V faded 68 reedition.
dsc09520.jpg

By wfd666 at 2010-11-05

WFD

Metal.Technicity.XXX
Reaction score
ah...... and...im officially INTO 7 strings now
guitar is here with me and you can see it in the fotos.
ill rehearse tomorrow and ill videotape at least 1 minute of playing Through a Bugera 333 and a crate 4x12 cabinet.
just to make sure the pickups are as crappy as fuck.

Now another point : IM REALLY Affraid that i get too much addicted (i even sleep with the guitar ) to 7 strings and sell ALL my 6 strings to fund 7 strings
Q: ((((((
JP