Starting to use MF again (MF/X3/mixtest)

• Thread starter Xanithon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xanithon

Headbobbing Galore
Reaction score
I'm finally using 'multiout' on MF to do more extensive and better sounding stuff.

This is my first attempt at it, i can't get the snare sound so good ie. when the riff nears the end, it does like a small blast - i can't get that sounding 100% tight throughout, it gets really weak and i don't know why. :scratch:

I know the leads are a little quiet at the start.

The New One by Xanithon on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Song is an outtro to one of my bands' songs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GATA4

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, the snare is weak and the leads are a bit on the quiet side.

I think you have a good foundation for your snare: it's a bit wet sounding, but it just needs more pop....it kinda sounds like someone hitting a piece of leather with a spatula or something haha.

Put some compression on the snare if you haven't already, and I would recommend doing this via parallel compression if you know how. I actually don't even own MF, but a lot of guys dig parallel compression. Also add reverb to the snare...it makes it sound way bigger.

Hope that helped a bit. I liked the track by the way :)

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
The leads need to come up, they sound like they would be the 'colour' in this mix, so to speak. The rhythm feels week, so the leads would bring the mix into a fuller sound.

Like GATA said, the snare's pretty weak, I don't use MF, but it seems no one seems to bother with the MF snares. Definitely try parallel compression (Make sure your snare isn't in an output with your hi hats, so you can just compress them separately. The kick sounds cool, but it might just need a tad more bass and click, it almost doesn't sound like a kick, I forgot it was there, it's not bringing enough oomph.

Hope that helps man! It sounds pretty cool!

The Omega Experiment

Reaction score
I never had any success with MF. Maybe I'm just lazy and didn't want to do the work. Slate all the way for me lol...until I actually have time to sit for a zillion hours dialing in tones with SD.

Yeah that snare sounds weeeiiiird. Almost like there is TOO MUCH compression/limiting on it, or just not the right kind. What sort of plugs are you using on this? Do you have MF routed so that you can use external plugs? Also...ever try blending already mixed samples with these drums?