Sterling by Musicman vs Solar Guitars

• Thread starter jmcsp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jmcsp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, I'm at a bind:
I own 2 JP models by Sterling (a JP50 and a JP70), with the 7 string coming preloaded with Dimarzio Crunchlab and Liquifire pickups and being the one I actively use on gigs and stuff.

Stuff with the band is getting more serious and stuff, and I'd like to get a backup and some more guitars for other tunings and stuff, but would like to keep the same configuration on all guitars (I mean, not having 2 completely different guitars with different pickups that will sound different coming out of the same amp).
Since SBMM is america-based, and with the EU prices on them being twice the US price (specially on models with Dimarzio pickups, like the JP157D and MAJ270, with the latter being priced in some stores at over 2000€), I was considering switching to an EU-based brand.
Stumbled across Solar, which seems to be popular and not extremely expensive, but got some questions I couldn't find answers to:

1- how is the construction/quality on likely-priced Solars? for example, a 1000€ Solar versus a 1000€ Sterling like the JP60 or something?

2- how are the "Duncan Solar" pickups compared to the Crunchlab and Liquifire? specially the bridge one, since the Crunchlab is one of the most (if not the most) hot pickups i ever played on

3- how does the floyd rose+locking nut compare to the "sterling modern tremolo"+locking tuners when it comes to dives and tuning stability and fluttering? (nope, never owned a floyd rose guitar, shameful I know xD)

4- what is the "voicing" toggle on the Solar's tone push-pull knob? is it a coil split? or something else?

5- is it possible to put dimarzio clip-lock straps on the Solar? since the top horn's screw is on the back?

Thanks in advance :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Well, Solar is good stuff. Quality I would go for the Solar stuff before any of the Sterling offerings but the main issue is the neck carve and radius. Solar necks are pretty round in the back and I know some Sterling JP are quite flat Ibanez style and others are a bit rounder (more MM style) but I don't know about thhat too much.

Solar Floyd bridge is nice stuff, nothing to worry about but the Duncan Solar is not hot stuff as the Crunchlab is. The neck is goof though if you like the Liquifire it will be a different taste but not too far from the concept. So you might want to update the bridge pickup for a hotter stuff probably.

About points 4 and 5... The voicing I don't know, the one I had was a 5-way switch so it was coil split in positions 2 and 4 and the only ones I know have the voicing switch is those using Fishman Fluent pickups so... Strange stuff.
As per the clip-lok no problem.

Good looking finding your stuff!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I have literally never put a sterling in my hand that felt playable.

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
Every single sterling I’ve touched has been awful. Felt cheap and like a toy every single time with horrible hardware, nut, and fretwork. Solar are pretty decent in my experience. Definitely would go with solar.

Kwert

Reaction score
The Solar pickups are supposed to be modelled after a Custom 5 (bridge) and ‘59 (neck) so that’ll give you an idea of their general sound qualities.

jmcsp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, Solar is good stuff. Quality I would go for the Solar stuff before any of the Sterling offerings but the main issue is the neck carve and radius. Solar necks are pretty round in the back and I know some Sterling JP are quite flat Ibanez style and others are a bit rounder (more MM style) but I don't know about thhat too much.

Solar Floyd bridge is nice stuff, nothing to worry about but the Duncan Solar is not hot stuff as the Crunchlab is. The neck is goof though if you like the Liquifire it will be a different taste but not too far from the concept. So you might want to update the bridge pickup for a hotter stuff probably.

About points 4 and 5... The voicing I don't know, the one I had was a 5-way switch so it was coil split in positions 2 and 4 and the only ones I know have the voicing switch is those using Fishman Fluent pickups so... Strange stuff.
As per the clip-lok no problem.

Good looking finding your stuff!
Well, regarding the neck i guess it would be a matter of adaptation. My biggest question was about the quality itself (both brands being made in Indonesia) and the floyd rose's tuning stability.

Regarding the bridge pickup, i guess i can always swap out the dimarzios from the Sterling and put them on the Solar, but I'd probably give the Solar ones a try first :)
I have literally never put a sterling in my hand that felt playable.
Every single sterling I’ve touched has been awful. Felt cheap and like a toy every single time with horrible hardware, nut, and fretwork. Solar are pretty decent in my experience. Definitely would go with solar.
Well, i felt that with the JP50 and a Richardson 7 I already sold. But the JP70D actually feels nice, although I see lots of people complaining about the fretwork. Only issue I had with it was the knobs being too round and not having the rubber band the EBMM version has, which made them really hard to operate, but i switched them for different ones.
The Solar pickups are supposed to be modelled after a Custom 5 (bridge) and ‘59 (neck) so that’ll give you an idea of their general sound qualities.
Will check it out, thanks :)

So I guess I'd be smart to switch to Solars right?
(not even gonna mention that they are way cheaper than Sterlings, and offer a bigger variety when it comes to the metal genre... Sterling has some really whiny models xD)

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
I've played both Solars and Sterlings. Both good guitars, but I prefer the feel of the neck and the overall weight and build of the Solar. But that's obviously just personal preference. I've owned two Solars now and both have been good quality builds, no problems with the Floyd as it feels good and intonates properly.

The pickups are indeed modeled after the Custom V and the 59. With the 59-sounding neck pickup, I really like it quite a bit. However the bridge pickup didn't jibe with me, just too scooped for my taste and the Custom V is one of my least favorite SD pickups so that stands to reason. I wound up swapping it out with a Duncan Custom and now it sounds perfect to me. But you'll have to try the Solar pickups and judge for yourself, I have seen a lot of people give them praise so maybe they'll work great for you.

And yeah as already mentioned in this thread, the necks of the Solars versus the Sterlings are quite different from each other. Ultimately the round curve of the Solar neck feels more comfortable in my hand.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Anecdotal evidence, but I've never played a Sterling that felt any good. My b-stock Solar came out of the box set up better than many guitars 3x its price.

sell2792

Reaction score
It's much easier to try out a Sterling before buying, so there's that. I have played a few that I really liked and I've played a ton that I didn't. Honestly, I think Sterling's sweet spot is entry level to $5-600 dollar models. Above that I was not impressed for the money and was really let down with the JP 150/7 and Majesty "D" models.