Sterling JP70 Pickup Upgrade

jjr017010

Reaction score
Hey All,

First post ever.

About 6 months ago came into the 7 string fold and bought a sterling Jp 70 as it looked and felt really cool and differnt to what else was in that price range.

However I have been dishearted as the low b sound like mud, it is really muddy and way too bass guitar sounding. I am hoping a pickup change would help this.

I want it to be really crisp and have quite high output, so palm mutes sound great.

Ideally I would like a set of BK's in there but I read that they dont fit the JP70 without filing the pups or cutting wood which I am not fond off.

I was thinking a set of d-activators, I know I could do the crunchlab and liqudfire like mr jp himself but I want something a bit hotter.

Any suggestions, or if anyone has put BK's in this guitar?
Cheers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
I'm very happy with the Evolution 7 I dropped in the bridge position of my JP70. Loads of output, huge palm mutes, and chords ring out quite clearly. It just sounds seriously pissed off, haha. Better have a noise gate if you go with that though. I have no experience with the D-Activator other than clips, but have heard a lot of good things about it and doubt you'd be disappointed, coming from the stock Sterling pickups.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I don't have a JP70, but I have a D-Activator bridge/Liquifire neck in a basswood RG7620 and it's a great set!