Steve Albini rip

• Thread starter Steo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn. RIP.

Gnarcade

Reaction score
Fuuuuuuck. That sucks. It was particularly sad to read that Shellac had a new album coming out next week. How horrible to be preparing for something like that and suddenly you're gone. RIP.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Holy fuck. Damn, I was just reading his interview in premier guitar mag a week ago.

And Shellac was just about to release a new record.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Whoa, massive bummer ☹️ Every time he's popped up in a video clip/interview/whatever he always seemed the same as he was 30+ years ago, definitely didn't expect to hear of him passing anytime soon.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When I was younger I thought he was the absolute god of recording. I've utlimately changed my views (re engineer vs. producer) but it doesn't matter: I respected his analytical approach and his total respect for the artist.

Mostly what sticks with me was his respect for the artist and contempt of the music "industry". It is legend that he didn't take points on Nirvana's work because it was their art. He didn't want to meddle with the artist's vision. His studio was open to everyone and he worked hard.

Damn. I'll spend the day thinking about him.

Leuka

Reaction score
This is the hardest hitting news about someone's death I've heard since I don't even know. Shellac is in the top 10 bands of all time for me, and Steve was THE producer/engineer for me, and still is. The amount of joy his work has brought and will continue to bring in my life is infinite. Rest in peace.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Slint - Tweeze
Jesus Lizard - Head
PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
Dirty Three - Ocean Songs
Bedhead - Transaction de Novo
Neurosis - Times of Grace
Low - Secret Name
Shannon Wright - Over the Sun
Stooges - The Weirdness
Ken Mode - Success
Super Unison - Stella
Sunn O))) - Life Metal
Code Orange - The Above

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Shit.
Always loved the way his records sounded. He put me on to Trayor TSs.
Hope he didn't suffer at the end...

TheDandy

Reaction score
Wasn't super familiar with him but loved what he produced with Sunn O))). Definitely a production legend, RIP

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
I’m a metal guy through and through, but this guy was one of my heroes since I first read about him in Michael Azzerad’s Nirvana book back in 93. (I liked what he had to say, and that Cobain had a high opinion of him.) I tried to listen to as many records as he was involved in afterwards. Helped widen my tastes into noise, punk rock and alternative music. A huge influence on me and countless more. Not only recording and engineering music, but his whole philosophy towards the music industry, business and life in general. His attitude was one of a kind. When I think of punk rock, I think of him first and foremost. Such a shock, a big loss for me and others.

RIP Steve, will be cranking Big Black all week and weekend long.

Last edited:

chipchappy

thudmaster
Reaction score
damn, he was a hero of mine and a true inspiration in terms of music and production. also most of my family is from Chicago and its always felt like a home away from home, so i really felt a connection to him and his music in that way.

RIP

Latest posts