still cant get tone :(

• Thread starter /wrists
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score

i tried

couldnt do it

axe fx II

sd black winters

tryin to get alexi's tone but lmao this is the garbage that comes out

i could probably do more practicing instead of picking up my guitar once in 8 months though

agen - trying to get it close to this not sure if this is double tracked tho

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
The most glaring difference to me that is going to play a huge part is the pick attack and squeezing the life out of every note you hit. It doesn’t sound like you’re laying into the strings enough and milking them for all they’re worth, more like your focusing on the next note you’re moving to while ‘giving up’ on the one you’re already on.

In the 2nd clip, those muted notes are powerful and still have life in them, they’re not just chopped off, you can only really get that by laying into them with the picking hand and being mindful of muting with the fretting hand.

Tonally, yeah, there are some differences, sounds like the gain is in the ballpark but the EQ is different. Sometimes a shitty IR can take away more than it gives and that might be the case as well.

But until your picking hand is hitting the strings with the same ferocity, I think you’re going to keep running into issues like this.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
The most glaring difference to me that is going to play a huge part is the pick attack and squeezing the life out of every note you hit. It doesn’t sound like you’re laying into the strings enough and milking them for all they’re worth, more like your focusing on the next note you’re moving to while ‘giving up’ on the one you’re already on.

In the 2nd clip, those muted notes are powerful and still have life in them, they’re not just chopped off, you can only really get that by laying into them with the picking hand and being mindful of muting with the fretting hand.

Tonally, yeah, there are some differences, sounds like the gain is in the ballpark but the EQ is different. Sometimes a shitty IR can take away more than it gives and that might be the case as well.

But until your picking hand is hitting the strings with the same ferocity, I think you’re going to keep running into issues like this.
Gotcha sounds like needs more practice haha. Impressive how people can hear this stuff.

tom schelfaut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Less gain is right, the picking stuff as well... have you tried playing around with different cabs? I have to say the tone you're after sounds really phat! good luck!

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Gotcha sounds like needs more practice haha. Impressive how people can hear this stuff.

It’s like any other familiarity aspect of playing where once you’ve experienced it a bunch of times, you can tell what’s going on. In this case, my best friend has the issue and has for years. He takes too many breaks from playing and just doesn’t focus on it when he gets back to it, so he’s been in a perpetual intermediate state for 20 years now. :lol:

nickgray

Reaction score
i could probably do more practicing instead of picking up my guitar once in 8 months though
Honestly? By far the biggest offender when people ask the "why my tone sucks" question is that their playing is just plain bad (and often their guitar is not even in tune). Sorry, but you genuinely need to practice more, it doesn't matter how good your tone is when your playing is not up to scratch.

As far as advice for tone - it's way too middy. Boost treble/presence or add a high shelf eq after the amp. But it's serviceable even as is, the main issue definitely is not the tone.

double tracked tho
Comparing double tracked to mono is pretty pointless. Record this clip through a loopback, isolate one of the channels, and only then compare.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
I'm think you're close. Maybe the last bit you're missing is all post production?
Some compressing and a bit of EQ'ing?

A thing that helps bring out guitars in post is boosting around the 80hz and 4khz frequencies. Just a little bit. Helped my recorded tone a lot when a friend gave me that tip.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Besides what others alrady said one thing you can try is to pan hard left/right when comparing tones. The track is double or quad tracked and you gotta isolate it to one speaker to get closer to it in the Axe. You have that tone match feature too which could help.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got pretty close in a few minutes, try this. Input -> TS808 -> Gate -> JVM Red OD2 -> [Any 4x12 v30 cab, I used Mesa] -> Output.

jvm.PNG

Go to the output EQ on amp block, bump up the 2 kHz and 120 Hz by like 3 dB. Do the usual thing on the drive block, No clipping, Level all the way up.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
I got pretty close in a few minutes, try this. Input -> TS808 -> Gate -> JVM Red OD2 -> [Any 4x12 v30 cab, I used Mesa] -> Output.

View attachment 114614

Go to the output EQ on amp block, bump up the 2 kHz and 120 Hz by like 3 dB. Do the usual thing on the drive block, No clipping, Level all the way up.
Can you post a sample? Would appreciate it. I'll give it a shot too. Thanks.

ekulggats

Reaction score
Hey, so a couple things from my experience as both a big Alexi guy and having tried to get a tone out of an older axe FX I fully loved

Start with just a bit less gain, when you double track and tightly you get the thickness with the cleanliness. A good bit the grindiness is literally the pick grinding on the string, so practice getting more aggression from the strings themselves

I've noticed using Axe Fx that the tones all seem to have a bit of wool blanket over them- Try a good bit of post filtering for that boominess and bring it up front. Remove 'resonance' effects if you can from the cab section, The IR could probably be tweaked to something brighter, and when you add bass guitar it will still sound right

Try to add a boost in the 2-5Khz region, his tone is very prominent in that high mid grind region

if you want to go the full extra mile, put a faint bit of chorus on it. Not even to where you fully notice it

The black winter pickup may be not Ideal but not sure so we'll just go from. I know you can get something pretty close with a midsy, med/high output pickup but the Black winter is not my favorite.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, so a couple things from my experience as both a big Alexi guy and having tried to get a tone out of an older axe FX I fully loved

Start with just a bit less gain, when you double track and tightly you get the thickness with the cleanliness. A good bit the grindiness is literally the pick grinding on the string, so practice getting more aggression from the strings themselves

I've noticed using Axe Fx that the tones all seem to have a bit of wool blanket over them- Try a good bit of post filtering for that boominess and bring it up front. Remove 'resonance' effects if you can from the cab section, The IR could probably be tweaked to something brighter, and when you add bass guitar it will still sound right

Try to add a boost in the 2-5Khz region, his tone is very prominent in that high mid grind region

if you want to go the full extra mile, put a faint bit of chorus on it. Not even to where you fully notice it

The black winter pickup may be not Ideal but not sure so we'll just go from. I know you can get something pretty close with a midsy, med/high output pickup but the Black winter is not my favorite.
I have a couple of pick ups too - The Blackout and the EMG HZ and standard 81's as well, I try a bit with each. Thanks for the advice!

ekulggats

Reaction score
I have a couple of pick ups too - The Blackout and the EMG HZ and standard 81's as well, I try a bit with each. Thanks for the advice!
If the HZ you have is the H4, that actually will do a great Bodom tone in my opinion. Frankly my favorite tone is what they got off Are you dead yet which was the H4 boosted (think like a tubescreamer with the level at 9/10, no gain, which is something you should definitely try regardless). Run that into a marshall type preset with the gain a little lower and you'll be pretty damn close. If you're in the Axe fx choose a splawn model, marshall, or maybe a krank if its there, once again gain relatively low accounting for the extra volume hitting the front

Additionally, this may sound a little g__ but think of it like each note telling a story when you're playing. How hard you pick each note, how you slide to/from it, how muted or open it is, its like a voice constructing a sentence, so make each word and letter in it measured. Become your own metronome. For all his wildness Alexi played *clean and hard. Slow it down as slow as you need to to make each note sound as close to exactly how you want and then build your speed. Playing the *shit out of Iron man is actually pretty badass and sounds better than kinda sorta playing something with more notes. Anyway, take that or leave it.

Last edited:

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
If the HZ you have is the H4, that actually will do a great Bodom tone in my opinion. Frankly my favorite tone is what they got off Are you dead yet which was the H4 boosted (think like a tubescreamer with the level at 9/10, no gain, which is something you should definitely try regardless). Run that into a marshall type preset with the gain a little lower and you'll be pretty damn close. If you're in the Axe fx choose a splawn model, marshall, or maybe a krank if its there, once again gain relatively low accounting for the extra volume hitting the front

Additionally, this may sound a little g__ but think of it like each note telling a story when you're playing. How hard you pick each note, how you slide to/from it, how muted or open it is, its like a voice constructing a sentence, so make each word and letter in it measured. Become your own metronome. For all his wildness Alexi played *clean and hard. Slow it down as slow as you need to to make each note sound as close to exactly how you want and then build your speed. Playing the *shit out of Iron man is actually pretty badass and sounds better than kinda sorta playing something with more notes. Anyway, take that or leave it.
You know how sad I got after buying to Alexi's but having the regular EMG HZ and Blackouts with the preamp booster lmao