Stingray vs JB (yes, a "which bass should I get" thread)

• Thread starter LiveOVErdrive
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
TITLE SHOULD SAY PJ, NOT JB

So I'm a (mediocre) guitar player and (mediocre) producer. I have a 5 string active Douglas HS bass that I use for recording and its okay. The neck has some issues but it makes bass noises. However for a long time I've wanted to get into bass playing - particularly slap bass because I just love that 90s funk/rock/metal sound, but I play and record all kinds of things for fun. I sold some guitar gear I wasn't using and its time to put that money toward a nice bass to use as my new main (and probably only) bass.

Now, I am currently torn between these two:

Sterling Ray34H (humbucker, active 3 band EQ, all that 70s and 90s mojo)
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling-by-Music-Man/StingRay-Roasted-Maple-Neck-Bass.gc

Fender Deluxe PJ (classic PJ, passive, J for slapping and a P for sitting-in-the-mix)
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Special-Edition-Deluxe-PJ-Bass-Sea-Foam-Pearl-1365435327256.gc

I have opinions both ways. Both definitely LOOK awesome to me. I've been a seafoam fiend forever, and I dig the understated and timeless look of the natural ash on the stingray.

I like the simplicity of the single pickup on the Stingray, and shaping the sound with just the EQ. It is of course a classic monster of slap and should give me those tasty 90s slap tones in spades. These high-end Sterlings are supposed to be REALLY well made, too, beating out seemingly everything in the same price range.

On the other hand, I like the simplicity of the PJ being passive. I get a certain FEELING of unreliability from active guitars (I have a few) that I don't like. It isn't grounded in anything real, other than having a few occasions when I couldn't get a good clean tone because my battery was dead. But the P sound is a great sound, and I do love the sound of a J bridge pickup for slap.

I don't want you guys to make my decision for me, but I do want to hear opinions on these two basses, or at least the two types of basses. I can afford either one, and I will play both in the store before buying (my local GC has both), so I will evaluate feel and such, but even so, hearing other opinions will help me out.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Split the difference and grab a G&L Tribute. :lol:

That said, between those two, I'd personally go Fender. I have not at all been impressed by Sterling quality relative to price.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
f
Split the difference and grab a G&L Tribute. :lol:

That said, between those two, I'd personally go Fender. I have not at all been impressed by Sterling quality relative to price.

Which G&L? I have looked at them a bit. There's a nice JB for like 600 that does look really nice, but I would be missing out on that P bass sound, and I have a hunch the skinny J neck won't agree with me. I should probably try one though. Sadly I don't much care for the look of their PJ offerings, and looks are, unfortunately, important to me. I need to get some kind of FEELING from my gear, you know? Anyone? maybe its just me :)

Also thanks for the opinion on fender vs sterling quality. That's good to hear.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
f

Which G&L? I have looked at them a bit. There's a nice JB for like 600 that does look really nice, but I would be missing out on that P bass sound, and I have a hunch the skinny J neck won't agree with me. I should probably try one though. Sadly I don't much care for the look of their PJ offerings, and looks are, unfortunately, important to me. I need to get some kind of FEELING from my gear, you know? Anyone? maybe its just me :)

Also thanks for the opinion on fender vs sterling quality. That's good to hear.

The L series can sound like a J, MM, P, and even some more "modern" voicings:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/L2KTBCO--g-and-l-tribute-l-2000-electric-bass-clear-orange

I totally hear you on aesthetics, it's definitely important.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really like my ray 34. ...and ray 35. My ray34 is an American made one when they used to do those a few years back. The only issue I've had so far is the fret ends stick are starting to stick out a bit on my ray34 after dealing with the extreme weather here in Montreal so they're a tad sharp.

That being said....I'm a huge seafoam green fan, and that fender has a similar pickup configuration I thiiiink as my jaguar bass which is also awesome. Those two basses will have very very different sounds. So it depends on if you want a modern sound with the 34 or if you want something with a more in your face attitude with the Fender.

Quality-wise: My fender has held up really well over the years. I just have to do truss rod adjustments a couple times a year due to the extreme weather here. My ray 34's frets are starting to poke out the ends a little bit so I'm going to have to file them down at some point. I do find myself having to do truss rod adjustments more often on the 34. My ray 35 is too new to tell. So far it's holding up well, but it's ridiculously heavy. Easily the heaviest instrument I own.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
After practicing some slap on my 5 string I think I can settle in on the stingray. That's what I wanted to want anyway, and the active eq and humbucker on my 5 is feeling pretty nice to me.

The main thing is I just want a good quality 4 string so I'm not fighting an uphill battle trying to hone my technique.