strap lock/button relocation?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
anyone here ever change the location of their strap locks? if so...

what guitars and for what reasons have you done it for?

or do you just live with, not wanting to ruin/damage the finish?

ever had any issues or any regrets?

also which strap locks or buttons do you prefer any why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I considered it on an Explorer and Telecasters to try to relief neck dive, but ultimately never did it. I duct taped the straps to the guitars in various spots and couldn't find a place that fixed anything.

I do like strap locks with a Les Paul because the straps can pop off the front pin (the Schaller or ESP are my favorite), but those rubber grommets seem to work just as well.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I prefer Dunlop strap locks, I’ve used Dimarzio cliplocks and schaller security locks too. I hate cliplocks, I really feel like the risk of scratching the finish with the clips is there. Nowadays with 1 beater and 1 cheap guitar, it would be less of a concern but I don’t think I’d prefer them even now.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
I've moved strap buttons to some extent on a few guitars, IME it's never made a big difference. Strap material/thickness and wardrobe are more of a factor.

I use Dunlops on all my guitars because all my straps have the Dunlop locks on them. Where possible I tend to use the flush mount ones as those feel most secure embedded into the body. I've had too many external strap buttons/locks eventually bore out the hole and require redrilling. The flushmounts have never failed on me in 10 years of using them.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I use D'addario auto lock straps on my Ibanez factory buttons FWIW. They don't touch the finish of the guitars, but Planet Waves locking straps do.

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
I've moved the front strap button in my Jackson JS32 KV lower, and it greatly improved the neck dive balance. The best thing that could be done IMHO.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I relocated the strap button from the neck heel to the upper horn of an LTD Viper.

It worked great. I thought the balance was better.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I had an acoustic that you'd otherwise attach at the headstock behind the nut, but added a strap button to the neck heel, like location #2 here:
1714443399817.png