String core to "wound"-relation

Lilliputti

Reaction score
Hello!

I tune my 27" scale guitar to All Fifths-tuning, and i have to use a .080 on the low F to give me enough tension. Due to size of the string, the low F sounds really muddy and mellow (at least for me, when comparing to .052 C).
I'm planning to order some custom strings.

My knowledge about strings is nonexistent, so if you could help me out.

How does the core to wound ratio affect the clarity and brightness of the strings? By manufacturing a string that's tension would be the same as a .080, but it would have much thicker core, would it give me more clarity and note definition?
Is there any more things that could help me to get a bright and defined low F?

- Lilliputti

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score

Lilliputti

Reaction score
Thanks for the link!
I'm using daddario strings. All the other strings sound great, but the low F is a bummer.
I'm gonna look into Circle K.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
I use .80 gauge D'Addarios on my 27" RG8, tuned to E(sometimes F#), and they can be hit and miss sometimes in regards to how they sound. Like out of 5 strings maybe one of them would not have the clarity or tone of the rest. I've heard other people mention this as well.

Maybe you just have a dud string?

But yeah, there is a lot of love for Circle K strings around here, maybe give them a try and see how it sounds?

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I use the D'Addario set for Fender Bass VI on my Intrepid (28.6" scale) and it sounds nice and bright, to my ears. As above, maybe you just have a dud string.

7stg

Reaction score
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/10064-string-gauges-inharmonicity.html

This should give you a decent understanding of the mechanics involved. Basically, a thicker core is going to worsen the issue rather than improve it.

What brand strings are you using? Some brands have better designed wound strings than others, hence the love for Circle K on these boards.

That link has to be one of the best on this site. As it indicates 28 5/8" is a much better scale for 8 string guitars, I know that does not help the OP much.

bostjan said:
Ibanez XL (27")
F#: .061" really iffy .102"

Most Extended Scale (28")
F#: .065" almost possible .110" fo' sho'

Warmoth (28 5/8")
F#: .068" a ha! .115" safe

meambobbo

Reaction score
i really enjoyed that post as well and it made a lot of sense. I can't really imagine a 28.5" though. My 27" seems big enough on those first few frets. Already difficult enough to make some of the bigger chords.

vansinn

Reaction score
I use the D'Addario set for Fender Bass VI on my Intrepid (28.6" scale) and it sounds nice and bright, to my ears. As above, maybe you just have a dud string.

Didn't see a set specifically for this bass; which set is it?

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
There's also how many layers of wrap there are on a wound string.

Core + 2 thinner wraps will be more flexible than Core + 1 thicker wrap.

Maybe try a string made out of different material, like stainless steel.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;3500691 said:
There's also how many layers of wrap there are on a wound string.

Core + 2 thinner wraps will be more flexible than Core + 1 thicker wrap.

Maybe try a string made out of different material, like stainless steel.

:agreed:

The data in that thread assumed one wrap layer for wound strings and a particular string composition. As such, it should be taken with a grain of salt, particularly for very high gauges, since they'll have two windings instead of one. Stainless steel should also have reduced inharmonicity relative to nickel strings.

Of course, since inharmonicity necessarily rises as you move up the fretboard there's still substantial tonal benefits to longer scales with regards to low tunings.

Would love to see some updated figures someday, perhaps with data straight from Circle K.

vansinn

Reaction score
Stainless steel should also have reduced inharmonicity relative to nickel strings.

References?
My experiences with SS bass strings aren't any different from other less-stainless ones, though I haven't tried (pure) nickel wound bass strings.

Unrelated, just as info, I've experienced that SS bass strings tend to sound sortof hollow, both as low B (.135) on 35" bass and as A2 (075) on 26.5".

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
References?
My experiences with SS bass strings aren't any different from other less-stainless ones, though I haven't tried (pure) nickel wound bass strings.

Unrelated, just as info, I've experienced that SS bass strings tend to sound sortof hollow, both as low B (.135) on 35" bass and as A2 (075) on 26.5".

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/170722-post16.html

Mind, most "nickel" strings are just nickel-plated iirc so there would only be a significant difference, if even that, when transitioning from "true" nickel strings to stainless strings. That may present an additional source of error in Bostjan's calculations.

I've also had that experience with thicker SS strings.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Another question.

Are you running a tubescreamer or eq pedal between your guitar and the amp input to cut out boomy/muddy low end?

I run an 85 gauge bass string tuned to G on a 25.5" scale guitar, and I think it sounds fine, but I have a boss GE-7 eq that I run my axe into that boosts highs and cuts off the very bottom freqs. Without it, my G sounds fuzzy and everything else is not as articulate.

I'm also going to point out that I'm not going for a ridiculous clarity or djent type tone, it's not muddy or indistinct, but it isn't Meshuggah or Necrophagist either.

Lilliputti

Reaction score
Just got new .080 strings, they sound killer! The ones that i have were most likely old, so they didn't sound good. The new ones are brutal!