String gauges for "heavy" tunings

• Thread starter GodOfChugs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GodOfChugs

SSO's Chugmeister
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked a million times (feel free to move or remove if need be)

I just recently acquired a Schecter Damien Elite 7 and am really loving it so far but the strings I put on are too loose for my liking (believe they were the 59-10)

On my 6er (Caparison Dellinger 25.5") I was using 13-68 and they seemed to be around where I liked it (the Lowest could have been a little thicker though)

So with that being said (in drop G and drop A) What would you guys recommend for a tight string set that'll hold up well on a 26.5" scale?
Also if they sell the string set as an actual pack, bonus points!

Thanks so much in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

robski92

Reaction score
I used 10-68 on my schecter for drop G and it was perfect for me. It wasn't too tight or too loose. I got my strings from String Joy so I was able to customize it a bit. I think it was 10-50 + 68 specifically but I would have to look it up.

Aymara

Reaction score
The D'Addarrio string tension calculator might help to avoid too thick strings, that don't intonate properly.

http://stringtensionpro.com

I use a .10-.59 set on 25.4" scale for B Standard and Drop A, but I'm a "light picker".

Masoo2

Reaction score
I like between 10-48 and 11-52 + 62-70 for Drop G, but for both Drop G and A I think 10-48+62 or 64 would work

I'm actually a big fan of light string gauges, currently using 9-46+60 on my 7 for Drop A-Drop G and I'm loving it. Especially since you are a light picker, really consider using thinner strings. I find they are easier to play, give a more clear and balanced tone response, and are generally easier to buy.

Tons of guys use light gauges as well. Lee McKinney uses 10-59 for Drop G (25.5 inch scale) and Jason Richardson/Chelsea Grin use 10-56/11-58 for Drop A and Drop G respectively. I think Chris from The New Low uses the same gauges as well on his Music Mans.

GodOfChugs

SSO's Chugmeister
Reaction score
I like between 10-48 and 11-52 + 62-70 for Drop G, but for both Drop G and A I think 10-48+62 or 64 would work

I'm actually a big fan of light string gauges, currently using 9-46+60 on my 7 for Drop A-Drop G and I'm loving it. Especially since you are a light picker, really consider using thinner strings. I find they are easier to play, give a more clear and balanced tone response, and are generally easier to buy.

Tons of guys use light gauges as well. Lee McKinney uses 10-59 for Drop G (25.5 inch scale) and Jason Richardson/Chelsea Grin use 10-56/11-58 for Drop A and Drop G respectively. I think Chris from The New Low uses the same gauges as well on his Music Mans.

Dang really? I miss hearing that fresh/tight bright tone from tight strings :)

Aymara

Reaction score
I'm also a light picker but I have been learning how important tight strings are :p

Tightness is one thing and intonation another ;)

Even a .59 low B string is 5 cent sharp at the 12th fret in my case, when tuning to Drop A ... B Standard is spot on. A thicker string will be even worse.

Besides that tighness is also a matter of personal preference. For E Standard on 6-strings I always use .10-.46

gujukal

Reaction score
11-68 should do the job for drop g but will probably be too tight for a. 10-66 would work for both tunings pretty well. Avoid using too thick strings, since too much tension will actually make the tone worse.

aoresteen

Reaction score
I always BALANCE my string sets when using alternative turnings.

A .059 string on a 25.5" scale pulls about 16lbs of tension when tuned to B1. I would use a thicker string for a lower tuning or a thinner one for a higher tuning, trying to keep the string pulling 16lbs when tuned to the desired note.

My open E tuned guitars use a lighter 5th (B) and 4th (E) strings to keep the pull the same as a .010-.046 set as the strings are tuned UP. The 3rd (G) string is tuned up 1/2 step (G to G#) but the pull is only slightly different so it is not changed.

My Drop D guitars use a .052 6th (D) string in place of the .046 6th string as the string is tuned DOWN a whole step, based on the pull of a .010-.046 string set (my standard).

As to intonation, you have to adjust the intonation at the bridge saddle based on the tuned note and string gauge.

You should always have separate guitars for separate turnings. Never re-tune to a different tuning as you will have intonation issues.

I have separate guitars for Open E, Open G, Celtic DADGAD, and Drop D. The strings are properly gauged & intonated for the desired note, based on the pull of a .010-.046 string set (my standard).

I have a few guitars tuned to Eb so I use .011-.049 rather than my standard .010-.046 size. They feel the same as my normally tuned guitars with .010-.046 strings.