Strings with higher tension at lower gauges?

• Thread starter focusbob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

focusbob

Reaction score
I was wondering if folks knew which brand/type strings provided higher tension relative to standard d'addarios or EBs (assuming the same gauge)?

For example, the one such brand I've tried is kalium/circle K, where a 61 gauge string feels like a 66 gauge (or so) d'addario in terms of tension.

I read today of Dunlop heavy core strings which supposedly provide higher tension at similar gauges relative to d'addario. I was wondering if folks knew of other such brands/types?

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that the larger cores are actually more tense.
They have more percieved tension because they don't travel as much on their vibration loop, meaning they're less floppy when struck.
As a downside (IMO) they also have less harmonic richness, maybe because they have a thinner wrap-wire, or maybe just because they don't flop as much, not really sure.

focusbob

Reaction score
Thanks for that insight trenchlord; can anyone provide info on such brands nonetheless? Other than the kaliums, I'm looking to identify a few and try them out because I have an unusual aversion to the sound of standard strings that are 64ish gauge and higher. That combined with a 25.5" 7 string is making my life difficult : (

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Have you tried GHS Boomers?
They (GHS) don't get much love around here for some reason, maybe because they're just an old standard and rarely introduce anything new or "revolutionary:lol:".

Anyways, I've always thought they had slightly less flop than D'addario or Ernie Ball (say a 54 vs a 54 both tuned to C#).
I'm not sure if I've ever actually switched from one brand to the other without also making tuning/gauge changes, and GHS as far as i know doesn't list their tension in pounds.
It's easy to tell if you have a floyd rose system and only change brands and nothing else (tuning/gauges).

Again, listed torque tensions can be a bit deceptive.
GHS Boomers are round-core, so the core of a given gauge will have slightly more total mass than the same gauge with a hex-core, meaning the round core will take ever-so-slightly less tension to pull to a given pitch, but will also have less flop at a given tension (in torque pounds).

In other words, the hex-cores like D'a and EB need a hair more tension to not flop around, and the round core will have less flop at a given torque-pull (say 17.0 pounds)

And something else I've noticed is that I seem to play the Boomers with a lighter touch because the notes jump out just a shit-hair more.
Doesn't really make sense because round-cores are theoretically warmer and fuller while hex-cores should have the sharper attack :scratch:.

I'd also love to hear what others think, other than GHS sucks and D'a rules and vise-versa :lol:.
I'm the same as the OP, I like as small as possible gauges while still having the tight-articulate response at my semi-low tunings.

edit; The differences between standard GHS and D'a/EB would only constitute one or maybe two numbers at the very most in gauge-feel difference, certainly not 4 or 6 numbers.

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
Elixirs do provide more tension. A 9-42 set feels like 10-46 to me, especially the higher strings.

focusbob

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on La Bellas? That is, would a La Bella, say 64 gauge, have more/less/the same perceived tension relative to a D'addario 64 gauge?

tedtan

Reaction score
DR strings have more tension for a given gauge than most others. You might want to try them out, OP, as generally DR's .060 feels like a .064 or so from other brands.

Regarding the GHS strings, I've always found them to be a bit looser and have more fret buzz so I had to either raise my action or switch to another brand. I switched to other brands. :cool: