Stupid question about pickup rings.

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pickup rings
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So I have some shiny anodized black pickup rings for the RG5 that'll look all sorts of spiffy. My absurd question is: the middle screw that adjust pickup height - how the fuck do I get that off? Do I just keep unscrewing it until it backs out on it's own? Or is there some other ninja method of changing rings that I don't know about? :wub:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
This guy:

Pardon the dirty, soaked fretboard, strings in the middle of coming off, and the AN about to go in. :D

Attachments

• pickupring 001.JPG
    pickupring 001.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 30

D-EJ915

Forum MVP
Reaction score
you just have to unscrew it

this is why just having 1 pickup is nice, lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
It's easiest with the strings off, because there is a spring on the screw holding the pickup to the ring. If you unscrew it all the way as it is now it'll be pretty difficult to get it back together with the spring in place.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris, I ran into that annoyance too when I installed my Blackouts. You just need to keep unscrewing it, I had to take my strings off to do it.

PS: What are you putting in the bridge?

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's easiest with the strings off, because there is a spring on the screw holding the pickup to the ring. If you unscrew it all the way as it is now it'll be pretty difficult to get it back together with the spring in place.

That's what I was wondering, I remember there being something pain-in-the-assish about it. :lol:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris, I ran into that annoyance too when I installed my Blackouts. You just need to keep unscrewing it, I had to take my strings off to do it.

PS: What are you putting in the bridge?

TZ of course. :D

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Excellent choice! The TZ6 is absolutely glorious :wub:

It's a shame DiMarzio doesn't make some of their best 6-string models in a 7-string format, such as the Super Distortion, Paf Pro, Breed, and Steves Special.

That thing is going to sound sick man. Did you get the 'F-Spaced' version?

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yep. :yesway: Blind luck too, because I didn't even think of it when I ordered it, I just lucked out. They really should call it "Floyd Spaced". :lol: Plus I need a single for the middle anyhow, not that I use it much.

I was going to drop 'em in tonight but since I'm covered in lemon oil and my office wreaks like a wood factory, I think I'm done. :D

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Plus I need a single for the middle anyhow, not that I use it much.

The "Tone Zone S" for the clear and decisive victory. They also make an Air Norton S. Those may be higher output than what you want though. Another good single coil by DiMarzio I've tried is the 'Chopper' model.

My favorite single coil is the Duncan Hot Rails that my buddy's Iron Maiden strat has, but I figure you'd prefer to go all DiMarzio.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yea, I like to match it up. I have TZ/AN in my 550 and I really like it. I really want to try something like JB/Steve's in my Schecter C1, since it's tapped and really a nice, jazzy sounding guitar all aound.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
the tzs is super nice in the middle position. I prefer the original fasttrack. They make a Super Distortion S too. i was unaware of the Air norton s. triple air norton config ftw! Id kill for a seven string fred

yeah, the ninjas you were thinking about are the actual springs who will not go back on the screws without ninja fighting.
Where did you get the pickup rings? did you get those from dave over at FretsontheNet? he does great shit doesnt he?

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, I like to match it up. I have TZ/AN in my 550 and I really like it. I really want to try something like JB/Steve's in my Schecter C1, since it's tapped and really a nice, jazzy sounding guitar all aound.
Try an Air norton in the bridge and a Humbucker from hell in the neck. thats a seriously cool combination

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I actually got them ages ago for my 550 from a guy on eBay, along with matched knobs, string guides and a bunch of other bits that look awesome. But they look so great on the flat grey on the RG5, I figure I'd toss them on there instead.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
oh thats cool. anodized finished rings look really cool on the right finishes. eventually i wanna pick up a mahogany rg and paint it white, and douse it in anodized green hardware

Latest posts