Suggest a midi switch for me

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't understand much about these so forgive me if I'm asking for the impossible here.

What I'm looking for is something that can be programmed to switch multiple devices (3 at the moment) when I select a patch with the X3 live. It will need to be able to learn a midi signal because AFAIK the X3 sends a signal that can not be changed depending on the patch that is selected and as I said switch 3 or more devices as I will be using it to control the E530 which has two stereo inputs and a Bloody Murder, whatever it has and anything else I get in the future, power amp etc. so more than three stereo outputs would be best.

On the ENGL one input switches the preamp on/off and the stereo signal switches the contour on/off, the other input switches between the clean and lead channel and the stereo signal switches between hi and low gain.

So does anything like this exist or am I dreaming?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Something like an Axess GRX4 or DMC Ground Control Pro sounds like what you are after?

It has MIDI controlled loops, put each in a loop, then bring them in as and when you need them.

Used666

Reaction score
Im pretty sure you can do all of that with a Behringer FCB1010. They are great controllers and dont break the bank as well.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't looking for more stomp activated switches, I wanted to control it with the X3 live however......

I was looking for answers to this on the Line6 support forums and it looks like the X3 series does not send a Midi signal when switching between patches, you can not change patches using midi either so for now it looks like I'm shit out of luck. Apparently this is a highly requested feature and according to Line6 they are investigating whether they can implement full midi control with a firmware update. Considering it took them over 3 months to fix the drop out problem I doubt this will be implemented soon if ever, as they had no intention of implementing full Midi functionality in the X3 Pro I would say it will not be happening anytime soon.

It's moments like this I want to say fuck line6 and abandon their products all together however until I can find something that gets me closer to my tone than the Pod I can't.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Looked at the E530 manual. It takes two stereo 1/4 switching jacks. The bloody murder takes 1 mono jack.

OK, here's the deal:

1) Buy RJM amp gizmo, this will switch the bloody murder, and the E530 from a midi signal.

2) Dump pod. I guess you are only using it for effects? If you are, ditch it, get a rack FX unit.

3) Buy a behringer FCB1010, it's cheap, does all you want it to. If you don't want to splash on the RJM amp gizmo, this in conjuction with a G-Major or anything with stereo relay out will take care of 4 switches, or in this case, use g-major for one stereo switching function on the e530, use the behringer to switch the bloody murder in and out and to also be able to switch the secondary less important footswitchable function (ie, you lose one option)

Also, the RJM will run of the same adapter as the bloody murder, so you just need to get one of those power splitter cablesor adapters ;)

basically, number one lesson: if gear doesn't work together well, don't try square peg round hole syndrome as it just ends up with frustration and shit going wrong.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, that's perfect and it's very reasonably priced too, +rep.

Actually James I really like the Pod X3 and I use it primarily for modelling. I cant say that I am really that impressed with it's FX. I have two patches that are closer to the tones that I want then I am currently able to achieve with the ENGL and I am hoping the Bloody Murder will help the ENGL out. But yeah Line6 have me frustrated, I love the modelling but the X3 Live is lacking in a few important areas and I am looking for something to replace it. I will start a new thread on that though.

Cheers everyone for helping out. :)