Suggest to me a band like Periphery, if possible

• Thread starter DropDizzle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DropDizzle

Reaction score
I like djent. There I said it. I haven't found a band better than Periphery. I want to keep trying and at least find one close. But it's hard.

I love their syncopation, their "style" that I personally would tag as "intense, but playful, they don't take themselves seriously, but they take the music seriously."

I like the inclusion of goofy things like the intro to "Have a Blast" but it's not necessary.

I like their "mood"- not everything has to be crazy insane blasting metal to be technical, Froggin' Bullfish for example, the way he sings "for once..." after the chorus, it reminds me of a rock opera, which makes me smile. I love Tesseract's latest album, but their mood is so similar throughout, it starts to become familiar and I like things to change.

I love having clean vocals at least at some point, especially if the dude can sing like Spencer.

Basic essential requirements:

-Solid, tight, rhythms and syncopation. Absolute must, if the rhythm is repetitive or boring, I'll never listen to it again.
-Some clean vocals. I like screaming but I need to hear some singing occasionally.
-The band has "a sound" but doesn't repeat that same sound throughout the whole album. I know, Periphery's self titled album kinda does this, like Tesseract's Altered State and Volumes Via, it has a distinct sound, but the songs sort of blend together.

Bands I already know that just don't cut it, but to let you know so multiples aren't being suggested:

-Tesseract
-Meshuggah
-Corelia
-Vildjarta
-Extol
-I Am Abomination (should I listen to them a bit more? I tried to start and I just wasn't feeling it a couple times, if anybody is a fan, suggest a few songs please)
-Monuments
-Intervals
-Volumes (same thing here as with Tesseract, I like their sound, but it becomes repetitive)
-We Are the Illusion
-After the burial
-A few others from Periphery radio on Pandora that I can't remember now, but nothing that stood out enough to remember.

Please halp! I don't want to wear myself out of liking Periphery but could really use some new music to love in the similar-ish style.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dalcan

Reaction score
I mean.. You've listed anything I would list. Good luck.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
*Starts thread to ask for recommendations.

*First post contains 99% of likely recommendations.

As the above post mentions, the only thing you didn't list....was Misha himself.

DropDizzle

Reaction score
*Starts thread to ask for recommendations.

*First post contains 99% of likely recommendations.

As the above post mentions, the only thing you didn't list....was Misha himself.

Haha ironic, right? I'm just asking to see if there was something I missed. I appreciate it.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
You've seriously got the drop on us with that list man, the killer for me has always been finding bands like L.o.G that can actually hold a candle to what they do. I can relate to the problem you're experiencing...it's a bit like how when you watch your favourite film for the first time, every subsequent film you watch doesn't really cut it in comparison (even if it can be appreciated on it's own merits)

Dodgy analogies aside, I think after listening to the artists you mentioned you should just accept that Periphery are the kings of their sound. I totally agree that "comparable" bands still don't come close to the synergy, chemistry and individual talent these guys have as a band. Luckily new material from the dudes is coming at the end of the month! :hbang:

I always recommend BtBaM, Protest the Hero and Sikth when people ask about metal bands, so you should check to see what you think there.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Haji's Kitchen
Dream Theater
Twelve Foot Ninja
Polyphia
Animals as Leaders

Scott Stine's solo stuff

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
A bit different than what you ask but you might give it a try
Born Of Osiris
The Haarp Machine
Loch Vostok

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
You might like British arm of "Djent"

Red Seas Fire
The Safety Fire
Sikth

Circles is Australian but whatev

Also Chon isn't Djent by any stretch but they're really upbeat and high energy

Nats

Reaction score
Periphery is the pinnacle of all music so it's not surprising you haven't found a better band. The only answer is start your own better djent band and listen to it.

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
Another vote for Sikth if you somehow haven't listened to them yet. How about the Bilo 3.0 ep that's rather popular here? Nerve End could fit the bill too, perhaps even Devin Townsend himself although we're getting out of the syncopation requirement. From instrumentals I personally dig Amogh Symphony a lot thanks to it's varied nature so it could appeal to you as well.

Oh yeah, and Enditol is quite cool, perhaps not djenty enough though.

There's no other Periphery though so I suggest you drown yourself in all sorts of prog instead of trying to find what you're looking for from djent bands.