Suggestions for machine heads, anyone?

• Thread starter Bownze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bownze

Keeping it weird
Reaction score
I am seeking suggestions on machine heads (tuning machines) for upgrading my newly acquired 7 string axe, a Douglas 727. I'm pretty sure I need what is referred to as the "mini" style? I like Grovers, which I like, but to my knowledge they don't have a mini offering. I am slightly biased towards Schaller as I replaced the stock tuners on my RG years ago and they are an awesome set of tuners. I looked at eBay this morning and saw some brands I wasn't familiar with, such as Hipshot, EZ LOK (lockers) and Vanson. Also curious about some All Parts Schaller tuners. Are these "non-authentic" licensed tuners? I found that to be an oddity as All Parts and Schaller to my knowledge are 2 different companies. That being said, I'm NOT particularly interested in cheap import tuners from an Asian country (yes, I know, the 727 is from China...)

Funny story. I found myself looking for 6-string sets on eBay... :erk:

Also, (and this is probably a dumb question on this forum) has anyone seen the Mayones guitars? Suh-weeeeeeeeeeet! Makes me wonder how all those Polish jokes remain in circulation...

:minions:
Thanks all, really digging the forums. LOTS of great info and good people.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
A good set of locking tuners is about as exciting as tuning machines get for electric guitar. I would go with a well known brand and pay for substance, not embroidery if at all possible. Also, when you have never heard of brand its either because it s a new brand, a shady brand, or an ultra exclusive brand. Your gut will tell you which is which! :cool:

redstone

Reaction score
Grover mini locking rotomatics. (18:1, autolock, small)

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I would go with Hipshot, Sperzel or Gotoh.

Benjamin Millar

Guitar Maker
Reaction score
Schaller mini locking tuners are also very good. They are on the heavy side though, so if that works for you- go for them.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
I actually really like my planet wave trim lock tuners.

Compared to Sperzel's they are easier to install, but don't have any cool button options.

gclef

Reaction score
+1 for planet waves. The work well on angled headstocks and with floyd nuts. The posts are a bit too high for flat, fender type headstocks.

My go to for fender style is sperzel staggered so i can get rid of the string trees.

Latest posts