Suggestions for new computer for recording

• Thread starter smucarolina
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

smucarolina

King of the Chatroom
Reaction score
Looking for a new computer for recording.

I am debating which route I would like to go:

1. Desktop
2. Mini Desktop (think Mac Mini type)
3. Laptop

My budget is $400 - $800. I am more of a PC guy if it matters but I heard you can convert Macs to a windows set up...so I am not opposed to Macs.

danks. :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

From Ever

Reaction score
If you're budget is at most $800, I think you'll get the most out of a PC. Do have any hardware already? If so, leverage what you already have. What gear and software do you already have?

You can't go wrong with a desktop. If you have the know-how, building your own is by far the most economical. Windows 10 is coming out and is supposed to be much more efficient, it's worth considering picking up a super cheap windows 7 disc and putting something together.

Alternatively, getting a Mac mini is not a bad idea for small recording. When it comes to Mac, I feel like it's go big or go home. The iMacs are great for recording and you get a lot of power. What's your DAW of choice?

smucarolina

King of the Chatroom
Reaction score
Well recording gear I have already is following:

1. Line 6 UX2
2. POD Farm
3. EZ Drummer

DAW - I just use Reaper as of right now.

From Ever

Reaction score
If you're happy with Reaper, then I'd stick with Windows. Unless you're wanting to buy into Mac's audio ecosystem (which is awesome, at least for me), then I don't see a reason to do anything else but build your own PC. Do yourself a favor though, go Intel. I've had nothing but crap experience with AMD drivers and that pushed me into Apple's recording arms.

Latest posts