Suggestions for uninterrupted sleep?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
How many hours of uninterrupted sleep do u get every nights ...when i was single i was averaging 7- 8 hrs straight. Didnt wake up at all. Meaning i would go to sleep at 11pm and wake up at 7am in the morning. No with work and family and perhaps getting older..the past 5 years i probably need to wake up to go the bathroom 1-2x a night so maybe 3-4 hrs of uninterrupted sleep and bathroom and back to sleep for 2 hrs. I missed those days when i can get a full nights sleep. Any suggestions for getting more quality sleep at night.

I am guessing too much blue screen use, overstressed is causing sleep issues. How many hrs of quality sleep are u getting every night?

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I average about 2-3 hours at a time. Then I'm up to piss. If I'm really tired which seems to cycle through about every 4-5 nights, my body shuts down and I'll get maybe a solid 4-5 hours. But the days of 6-8 hours of straight sleep are long gone for me. And that's okay... Gives me more time to read veji threads, binge eat, and snuggle with my cat.

It's the basics that we all pretty much know regarding getting more sleep/ better sleep. If you find yourself waking up frequently to piss... see your dr. and/ or try to limit beverage intake close to bedtime. Fwiw I always piss immediately before laying down. I also suffer from [actual] anxiety and stress issues but learning to shut down/ leave that stress for 'awake time' is vita imo. There's no way that someone can legitimately walk you through that though. You have to manage that stress however you're able. Recording music might be worth looking into here!

Back in the day I would sometimes write things down or put things on a "to do" list... things that continued to gnaw at me late into the evening. And that helped but it was mostly about my internal worry-wort being afraid that I'd forget something the next day... not like a journal or anything ( although my wife keeps a journal thingy that seems to help her out). These days, my mind is more like "Fuck it. Go to sleep, ya silly monkey!". But whatever dude.. write some shit down if you think that'll help.

Another thing that's helped to some degree is really coming to terms with the fact that "Right now there's absolutely NOTHING that I can do to address whatever stressful thing that I'm worried about. It'll have to wait till tomorrow." It's just life and although it's def not easy to condition your mind to disconnect from whatever anxiety or concerns that you're facing, you need to be able to shut that part of your brain down. Worry about that shit tomorrow... not at bedtime.

Things that I can control and that help.. Again try to limit what's making you piss at bedtime.. drink less prior to bed and pee right before laying down. Random noise like the 'boom boom' of a car stereo or barking dogs ( my absolute biggest trigger) are huge sleep factors for me. I can typically sleep through sounds like that but absolutely cannot fall asleep while those noises are occurring. I do tend to work my ass off... especially spring, summer, fall... and being exhausted does help as opposed to days where I don't have a ton of shit to do. So maybe take a walk or run down the street. I don't actually know what you look like but I do somehow picture you in a sweet powder blue valour jogging suit.

Overnight temps also play into my ability to get a good night sleep... Gotta have socks on my feets and gotta have that a/c keeping things cool. Even in winter, if the heat's on and I'm too warm... forget about it. Even my blanket is about as thin as can be cause waking up moist with sweat just sucks balls. Heat does me in when I sleep and will get me to wake up prematurely or sleep poorly. If that's a factor for you, then adjust as necessary. Ideal for me is about 70 degrees +/-. If your family has other temperature-related needs tell em to kiss off cause daddy needs his recharge.

Which leads me to 'beneficial background' noise. I have a box fan next to our bed because I have a really tough time falling asleep in complete silence. Sometimes if I'm sleeping in our guest bedroom ( no fan), I'll turn on some rain or white noise or maybe have the tv or stereo at low volume for additional background noise. And the times that I do sleep away from my wife are because I don't want to accidentally wake her... like with my occasional snoring, frequent trips to the potty, etc. We generally go to bed together but once I gotta pee or can't fall back to sleep, I'll resign myself to bailing out and either laying back down in the guest bedroom or just getting up and doing whatever until I'm sleepy again.

Back when I used to smoke weed, that would often take the edge off... depending on the strain, amount, and time of last toke. But that's not really an option anymore cause Texas and lost connects. And I won't say much more about that, vej as you don't really strike me as a potentially pot-smoking kinda dude. But seriously... depending on your state's laws, you might give it a shot. I absolutely don't advocate relying upon alcohol to get the job done although your dr. might be able to get you hooked on some kinda drug that will help bonk you out ( not a TedEH bonk mind you).

Anyway... that's my dealie and my subsequent advice. Some nights are better than others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CM_X5

Reaction score
Noise machine/podcast/fan for background noise, keeps the civic shithead banging redline in residential streets @ 3am from waking me up. Also good if you have asshole cats with late night zoomie routines.
Melatonin, weed, maybe both.
short of all that....

bonk.png

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How many hours of uninterrupted sleep do u get every nights ...when i was single i was averaging 7- 8 hrs straight. Didnt wake up at all. Meaning i would go to sleep at 11pm and wake up at 7am in the morning. No with work and family and perhaps getting older..the past 5 years i probably need to wake up to go the bathroom 1-2x a night so maybe 3-4 hrs of uninterrupted sleep and bathroom and back to sleep for 2 hrs. I missed those days when i can get a full nights sleep. Any suggestions for getting more quality sleep at night.

I am guessing too much blue screen use, overstressed is causing sleep issues. How many hrs of quality sleep are u getting every night?
Uh. You're older. That's like 90% of it. Shit, ask the oldest person you know what their sleep is like.

1. Don't drink alcohol.
2. Limit caffeine 5 hours (or more) before bed.
3. Exercise during the day.
4. Only sleep in your bed (i.e., don't watch movies/tv in bed, exciting stuff).
5. No screens an hour or so before bed.
6. Noise machine (but not too loud).
7. Don't drink a shit load of water before bed.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Someone needs to make a vejichan iceberg meme. I've seen the threads in the last few years but I don't know the full lore like some of you.
Here are some highlights of my recent stint on SSO (since 2021):
-multiple threads asking what tonewood is best
-one particular thread with a super grainy 144p video of an 80s concert with an OPAQUE painted guitar asking what woods it was made of
-bought a bunch of Suhrs and Tom Andersons
-gave some guitars away to family because they either had too many or not enough frets
-sold everything for a family vacation
-dozens of threads about drop C guitars/string gauges/pickups
-multiple threads about how to cope with having previously been a professonal guitarist but doesn't play out anymore

literally never responds to any of his threads except for some reason that one thread about recording he started recently

I probably missed a bunch because I had him muted for a while when he was posting too many threads per week

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Here are some highlights of my recent stint on SSO (since 2021):
-multiple threads asking what tonewood is best
-one particular thread with a super grainy 144p video of an 80s concert with an OPAQUE painted guitar asking what woods it was made of
-bought a bunch of Suhrs and Tom Andersons
-gave some guitars away to family because they either had too many or not enough frets
-sold everything for a family vacation
-dozens of threads about drop C guitars/string gauges/pickups
-multiple threads about how to cope with having previously been a professonal guitarist but doesn't play out anymore

literally never responds to any of his threads except for some reason that one thread about recording he started recently

I probably missed a bunch because I had him muted for a while when he was posting too many threads per week

I think one of the most important elements of the Vejichan Mythos is that his threads quickly turn into other people having serious discussions with each other about the topic he started, while he either ghosts entirely or repeats the same irrelevant questions.

Now then, with that in mind....

Getting up to pee at night is just part of not being in your 20s anymore. Get used to it.

Cannabis is a double-edged sword. It helps me get to sleep but I find often that my sleep is less restful, I need more of it, and I wake up groggier. Some nights it's still the only way I can get to sleep. I have insane insomnia for days whenever I quit smoking, so it's obviously fucking my shit up. I'd like to achieve balance there.

My kindle has been a game changer. I read every night before bed, and if I wake up and can't get back to sleep, the first thing I'll try is reading. Usually I'm back asleep within 10 mins.

If I can't get back to sleep by that time, I'll get up and have a cup of herbal tea, maybe do some journaling or read some more, smoke a bowl if it feels necessary, and go back to bed when I inevitably start to feel tired. I read somewhere that it's quite normal for our sleep to be interrupted by breaks of wakefulness of up to a couple hours, I don't know how science-y it is but it's certainly born out with my experiences.

Exercise is critical. I also find that doing some basic stretches and mindfulness meditation before bed helps to put me into my body and quiet the monkey brain.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Now then, with that in mind....
I find consistency is key. I've got the luxury of being able to go pass out around the same time every night and wake up about 8 hours later. I find that what gets me is deviation from the norm. I can operate on 6 hours, but less than that and I'm mostly useless.

In terms of quality of sleep - worry/anxiety is always the sleep killer for me. I don't mean that to say I'm an anxious person, I'm certainly not the type to walk into a room and declare "I have the anxiety", but if something is stuck on my mind that I know I have to deal with in the morning, I'm not going to be able to fall asleep. It's that "brain won't shut off" mode.

Best example I've got is the french classes I've been taking. It's the first thing I do in the morning, so some times the night before I get stuck in an "ugh, this is going to be awful isn't it" loop.

Reaction score
Getting up 2 times per night to go to the bathroom is a reason to see an urologist doctor, go check on your winnie.

Drinking a glass of water before bed is fine as it calms the heart, maybe an apple as well, avoid oranges... too much water will wake you up in the middle of the night.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Uh. You're older. That's like 90% of it. Shit, ask the oldest person you know what their sleep is like.

1. Don't drink alcohol.
2. Limit caffeine 5 hours (or more) before bed.
3. Exercise during the day.
4. Only sleep in your bed (i.e., don't watch movies/tv in bed, exciting stuff).
5. No screens an hour or so before bed.
6. Noise machine (but not too loud).
7. Don't drink a shit load of water before bed.
8. Go to bed around the same time every night.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Your "how to limit screen time" thread covers a lot of this already I believe.

If you have to go to bathroom 1-2x a night, hey man that's just life for us men.. Check that thing down there out with your doctor, there's nothing to be afraid. It's completely normal and happens to most of us men at some point of life - sooner or later. Just for you to know, that there are medications available for this. Also your lifestyle and habits, which we all probably know everything about.. If one has even dared to read all these threads.