Suggestions VIK/Skervesen/Blackwater

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
Gents,

I've already got 2 builds in the works, a new Mayones 6 and a Daemoness 7 (and a BRJ which I don't actually count :wallbash:). I'm torn between the above 3 brands and I'm interested in getting an 8 to round out my collection. From what I can tell the cost for the above three would be about the same, maybe a little more for the VIK. Any suggestions/comments/recommendations or horror stories about any of the companies? Anyone own guitars from 2 or more that could make a recommendation? I emailed Aaron at Blackwater and Maciek at Skervesen and they got back to me within hours, which after the BRJ situation felt amazing. I'm also taking into account shipping cost (CONUS) and build time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mountainjam

Reaction score
The vik will def cost more than the others. All 3 companies are relatively new I believe, I think its a safe bet that nobody owns 2 of the brands you mentioned. What are you looking for in an 8?

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
The Vik will easily be DOUBLE the price of the other two. In fact it'll be more than the other two combined unless you go balls to the wall on the specs for the cheaper ones. Skeversen and Blackwater are VERY young companies, but they appear to be extremely talented. Vik has a VERY solid reputation for putting out FANTASTIC instruments, but they carry a hefty pricetag to go along with it. He also has a 2 year waiting list or so from what I understand :lol:

If you're trying to keep it under 3.5k, and within a short span of time, I'd say go for Skervesen or Blackwater. If you don't mind the wait, then go Vik!

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I would go Vik because the other two have not really put much product out. There's a reason you never see a Vik on the classifieds here by the way :)

They have no resale value?:fawk:

IMO, Vik is the only one with a solid reputation. Unless you want to test the water with the other two.

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
One older and more expensive, two new and cheaper. As above, pick your flavour. If it then comes down to Skev v. BWGC, that'll be a little easier. Vik's are damn tasty though...

matisq

Reaction score
As far as I know Skervesen are great guitars. One of the fellows from Skervesen worked at Mayones for many years and his knowledge and passion are really great. I'd say go for Skervesen and get great unique guitar created just for you!

linguos

Reaction score
This is amazing as I'm currently torn between Black Water, Skervesen and the hopes I have for XEN when the prototypes appear. This is a tough one. I've never played Mayones but I'm in the school of thought that the apparent, aesthetic quality is directly proportional to the care of the entire instrument and thus it's playability and sound. And boy can I see Mayones radiating from Skerversen. My only fears are shipping and custom fees.

Black Water is so far proving incredibly friendly, helpful and flexible. Shipping included in the already competitive price too. Only this requires more hope than the other two.

Vik is obviously the creme de la creme, but in all seriousness, fuck two years' wait. That sort of wait is best left after you already have another custom. And from what I've seen so far, both Black Water and Skervesen have insanely fast turnaround times.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
I don't think ViK is the best choice with a turnaround time in mind, considering the fact that you've probably been waiting on that BRJ for a while. I think both Skerveson and Blackwater make really nice instruments, judging from what they've posted. If you take your location in to mind, Blackwater will probably end up being a little cheaper in shipping and you won't have to deal with custom fees etc., but I don't think you can go wrong with either to be honest.

That said, I do think ViK is a cut above most luthiers, period. If you can warrant the expense and waiting time I do think he would be well worth it.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
A quick jump here makes me wonder how many of the people who emphatically advise brand X or Y even saw one in the flesh, let alone play it... :lol:

For example, why is Vik la crème de la crème? Other than the obviously sumptuous looks, what prompts a person to say this with such certainty?

I don't mean this as a bash to Vik (quite the contrary - the FF7 I played was a great guitar), but truth is that I can't help thinking that people will directly translate Nolly's absolutely stellar production skills, to name but one prominent Vik user, directly into the instrument. All of a sudden, Nolly's obvious skills in terms of playing, dialing a killer tone, and producing the track,phase out - they have now been magically incorporated into the guitar and are the representation of how it sounds like.

In my personal experience in a side by side comparison with the B7, for my personal taste, MY B7 won over THAT specific Vik. What does this mean? Fuck all, that's what, as it's a two instrument sample, thus a 50 / 50 chance for either to impress me - maybe Vik, at some point, will hand me a guitar more in line with what identifies me as a player (and he is VERY analytic in that aspect, which is very worthy of merit) and that particular example strikes me as a better allrounder than the B7. That wouldn't shock me one bit.

I can't comment in regards to Blackwater, but as far as two very experienced, notably capable, reputable and detail obsessed luthiers as Jarek and Vik are, there's a lot of grey to consider in what is often presented as very black and white. Ultimately, if my experience and their consistent reputation is anything to go by, you'll get a fab instrument no matter who you choose to go with. :)

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
8 string Vik Duality is gunna be over $5k easily. EASILY.

It'd also be the one I went for :lol: