Super duper long overdue NGD (ESP-LTD MMV-07F)

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Finally decided to make an NGD thread about this one.

I posted about it in the CoB/BAM thread after getting it, but I didn't make an NGD thread before because I was waiting for stuff to start blooming in the yard so the pics would look a bit nicer. Well, weather's still shit all the time and everything's still dead, but I figured I gotta do it now or it'll never be done :lol: And of course as I went outside to take the pics it started raining straight away. So I had to be kinda quick about it.
</excuses>

I guess I might post some better pics later when the weather's less shitty.

Anyway. I used to have a similar but slightly older guitar, but that one burned down along with my band's rehearsal place back in... 2015? When Alexi passed away I got some major GAS to get one of these again. So I posted a "want to buy / trade" ad on Muusikoiden.net (a Finnish musicians' forum kind of thing), and a few days later a guy emailed me saying he has one and wants to trade.
I almost missed the opportunity, as he had gotten several offers to buy it and I was really busy the day he contacted me. But luckily he wanted the Jackson JS-30 I was offering for trade rather than money, so I just made it happen.

I still only gave the guitar a quick clean - I'm gonna put thicker strings on it anyway, so I'll clean and oil the fretboard and all that when I do.
It's in standard tuning with .9's for now. For obvious reasons I'm gonna put .10's on it and tune it to D-standard, but I'm really enjoying playing it in standard tuning as well, so I'm not exactly in a hurry with it.

Comparing this guitar to the one I had before (MMV-SN, the -05 model of the same guitar), they improved exactly everything that was bad on the old one!

I think the neck profile is roughly the same, but the neck joint is improved and allows better access to the high frets. The old model had a thick block there that looked basically like a bolt-on neck joint (even though it was a set neck), whereas this one has the "set through" thing as they call it. Looks really nice and doesn't get in the way.

The bridge seems to be a slightly higher quality licensed FR, and even though it's super worn it holds the tuning pretty well even when doing divebombs and fluttering and all that. I'm gonna swap it for an OFR or maybe even Edge Pro at some point though, mostly because it looks like I found it in the dumpster or something. Also it's the wrong color :lol: I guess the common opinion is that the guitar should have gold hardware, but I think I'm gonna go black... But we'll see.

Another thing they've improved for this model is the output jack - it used to be straight one that came out directly into your leg, so the only option when sitting was to use a cable with a 90° connector. The jack is still in the same place on this guitar, but it's one of those angled jacks, so a straight cable fits in there now. Kinda irrelevant thing since I have a bunch of angled cables, but still.

Pickups are exactly the same: EMG HZ-H4.

The neck pickup seems to have some kind of grounding problem, but I'm not in a hurry to fix it since I don't use it anyway. The bridge pickup also had some issues at first, but it was just caused by the ground wire being entangled with the springs, so after bending it a little the issue is gone. The pickup selector is also a kinda wonky. In fact, it might be the culprit for the neck pickup issue... So yeah, I'll have to rewire everything at some point. I'm also considering installing a gain boost (MM-04), but since basically the same effect can be achieved with fx/software I'm not in a hurry with that either.

Here's a couple of pics - like I said before, it started raining when I went to take them, so these two are all I got for now:

saGa_SRZ4Hhx0ehvtCnBWKB-DOPXU2gNl3nSFQxuqPPYbjY74z7ciWUvSYYXSNu1tdOobWqNAG9K0vJG7dQo70r3fB4kutxnv-cNtwzALXmRt4VBe_yb19hzDtyAzBJnSOMrLNDg2uA=w2400

MdHEuWcw8tkxk8skHgjb3QkhjwxEneE4hgz0LpANpT-6o_SbngSQOvdp48t2bAG0jaiU4ntI8gJv2iFU9GYLXKrLud7Ke3y835LvLewW3CSbbFOGfMY7-F-6TWlum0yHcxMulQAQkQQ=w2400

Upgraded my guitar wall as well. My 6-string bass used to be at the bottom - I moved that into my office, so I guess at some point I'll have a "bass wall" there :lol:

3_6Th_OsQTq4OIyjuve5rQdQXwwcvEgtiQYtiw6FSMd3RfVWDncV06c8PKiNwGDNMip0EuQU1r2hT1x4pVd_mNIxrxhkXCFHSePvU1uWBsk_zHGhoWBasX8oGpM6Enb-yKpe4ToH9b0=w2400

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Latest posts