Super Smash Brothers 4 coming this summer (3DS) and winter (WiiU)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Yeah, the overall pacing of Brawl is slower. Characters tend to move slower as a whole, and then playstyle also slowed down because of changes to comboing and buffed defensive abilities (shields especially). The tournament-level guys lost their tricks from Melee but I think they found a few new ones in Brawl so I'm not sure how much of an impact that particular aspect had.

SSB4 seems to be somewhere in the middle right now. Mostly sped up a bit from Brawl, but a few things have apparently been slowed down.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Judging by the Treehouse demo and the tournament, it definitely looks quicker-paced than Brawl. The smash ball spawning seems a LOT quicker though. :ugh:

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
I noticed that too. Most matches saw 3 smash balls, and best I recall only one match saw just one (when Megaman got it). It's possible that they upped the spawn rate for the demo build, or that not all items are implemented in that build and spawn rates are off right now because of that.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If it's anything like the previous games, then hopefully you can reduce the amount of each individual item. I remember during one of the tourney battles, scarf kid got like 3 of them in one match. :ugh:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised tourneys run them, a lot of people I know play with smash balls off. Given how wildly varying in power level the abilities are I can't say I blame them, but it makes me sad.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Tournaments don't normally use items at all. Depending on the tournament, several of those stages likely would be removed (Wiley's Castle, likely Punch-Out) or counterpicks only as well.

The invitational deviated from normal tourney rules in several respects. If they'd been playing by the usual tournament rules instead of the rules Nintendo set, HBox (Kirby) would have likely won the final match. ZeRo stalled at the end because he knew it was his best chance of winning. He was smart enough to realize that HBox was getting solid reads, had the margin to win, and had a toolkit that was workable against pretty much everything but ZSS's vastly superior aerial mobility. Very nearly still lost.

Kinda goes back to what I've been talking about before - tourney rules encourage aggressive play over stall tactics. More action, more fun. There was a lot of camping going on throughout the entire tournament as a result of the FFA matches (also unusual), items on, and how winners were determined.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
It really was. So much hype when that happened. I flipped out watching it at home. Favorite final smash ever, no question. Props to Nintendo for treating Megaman right.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Just thoght I'd put this here also.

Best part of E3 '14.
No contest.

:lol: I was jumping in happiness and laughter when I saw that. Also LOL @ the commentator. "SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT... MEGAAAMAAANNAKJSFNSKJADG!!" :rofl:

This is NOT OFFICIAL (obviously), but whoever made this gif is just mean and playing with my feelings: (he's also very good at it O_O)

BewitchedThreadbareBasilisk.gif

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
t'was posted on the previous page by HeHasTheJazzHands. :D Still damn hilarious. :rofl:

Don Vito

Reaction score
Just thoght I'd put this here also.

Best part of E3 '14.
No contest.

You know that gif of Mio Akiyama crying that I posted in the Zelda thread? Should have saved it for this.(only watched the ending of the invitational) I mean holy ...., they had all da Megamanz besides the chibi version from Powered Up. This is what my dreams are made of.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, that video sent some serious chills down my spine haha all aboard the Nintendo hype train, chooo chooooo!
wzA3Tht.jpg

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
3 reveals today.

Captain Falcon is officially coming back
GznspI0.png

Lucia
lucina.jpg

AuHfkBH.png

And in a surprising twist, the other Fire Emblem character is Robin
l9h9PPQ.png

l84QgT1.png

EDIT: Lucia is possibly an alt costume for Marth. Not sure.

bouVIP

Reaction score
Lucina is Chrom's daughter in Fire Emblem Awakening. Robin is your own custom character in FE which is kind of a weird addition, but super pumped for this! I love Fire Emblem haha and now I'm definitely getting a Wii U for this.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Captain Falcon has never looked more manly.

Lucina is a separate character. Think of it like Fox/Falco or Falcon/Ganondorf in SSBM - similar kit (so far as we know - we saw her use 5 moves, all matched Marth's moveset), different execution. I'm betting on her playing more like Melee era Marth, whereas Marth himself is heavier, slower, and likely more focused on his ground game (continuing the direction he went in with Brawl). One thing I'm curious/potentially concerned about is that she doesn't seem to have a tipper sweetspot. If she has a hilt sweetspot that's potentially okay (works pretty well for Roy's Project M incarnation), but there's also the possibility that she doesn't have a sweetspot. I'd be a bit disappointed if that's the case given the opportunities a sweetspot can afford.

Robin is an interesting choice that might sate my secret desire for more mage-y characters, but I'm not sure how that durability mechanic is going to work out in practice. Reminds me a little too much of Pokemon Trainer's stamina mechanic.

EDIT: Looks like Lucina doesn't have a sweetspot.