Switch Between Input (amp chan) and FX Return (preamp)?

• Thread starter cGoEcYk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Hello,

Any ideas on how or what I need to do in order to pull off the following? Basically I want to be able to switch between cleans on the amp's preamp and a nasty outboard pre distortion that bypasses the amp directly into the FX Return. Not worried so much about tap dancing considerations, this is primarily for home jamming use.

I have an ABY switch and a few pedals with dual outputs (MXR Kerry 10-band) or various outputs (DI pedals that I use for bass like Sansamp BDDI which has an unaffected parallel out, for example) & a bunch of patch cables. The pedal pre is ISP Theta.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
I was thinking about this before, so I'm interested to see what people say. One thing I think you need is for the FX loop on the amp to be footswitchable, otherwise you'll get nothing when switching to the amps channel.

Obstsalat

Reaction score
soo...I'm not sure if i got what you are after, but from what i understand, you'd have something like this:

guitar into a switch (something like the electro harmonix switchblade or Morley ABY...a more complex unit like the Boss ES-8 works also. And you might even use an amp switcher like the Voodoo Lab Amp selector. All you need really are multiple switchable outs)

from this switch one cable goes into input of your amp, and another one into your distortion pedal

from the distortion pedal into the FX-return

now you just have to hit the switch. if you have your amp selected, there's no signal going into the pedal. Also there's no connection from your FX-send to the pedal, so it won't do anythng in this configuration. Hit the switch again and you'll bypass your amp's preamp cuz you go directly into your pedal and into your powersection :)

vick1000

Reaction score
Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro. Run Guitar>TMP input, TMP sidetrack send>amp input, amp fx send>TMP sidetrack return, TMP output>amp FX return.

When you hit the TMP sidetrack switch, it bypasses the TMP pedal and you get whatever is in the sidetrack loop. When the sidetrack is off, you get the TMP pedal output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NORY6BR9Iag

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I did this a while back before I went all midi. Cheap Boss A/B, a 1/4 mono splitter jack, few cables. I would send A to the input of a Pod, B to the input of my amp. Amp send to amp return splitter (I had to run a booster in between this part due to non adjustable loop send level). Pod output to the other side of the Return splitter jack. I could use the Pod for cleans with delay and chorus, then the actual amp with overdrive and whatever else.

Shask

Reaction score
Using a multi-effects processor that can run in 4CM will do this.

Lokasenna

Reaction score
I used to do this with my 6505 so I could just A/B between a metal tone and my Boss acoustic pedal for cleans.

Guitar
Tuner
Boss LS-2 Line Selector

Loop A:
Ibanez OD808
6505 Input
6505's FX Send back out

Loop B:
Boss AC-3

Line selector out --> 6505's FX Return

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I played around with everything that I have... if only my A/B had slightly fancier features. Sounds like I need a line selector.

GunnarJames

Reaction score
You can use any sort of loop switcher (something like this would be fine - Voodoo Lab - Pedal Switcher™).

Guitar > Loop Switcher Input
Loop 1 Send > Amp Input
Amp FX Loop Send > Loop 1 Return
Loop 2 Send > ISP Theta Input
ISP Theta Output > Loop 2 Return
Loop Switcher Output > Amp FX Loop Return

Loop 1 will be your amp's clean preamp, Loop 2 will be your ISP Theta, and you have two more loops if you use any sort of time based effects you want to throw in there.

Or, as mentioned, you could use the Amptweaker TightMetalPro standalone to do this without any additional gear. I'm assuming you prefer the Theta tone wise though, since that's what you have.