Switch question: Possible to use On-Off-On switch as On-On-On?

Jamiecrain

Reaction score
One of my guitars has two On-On-On rocker switches which need replacing. They have simple logic for the three positions: Pickup 1 - Both - Pickup 2.

I will be swapping them out for new ones but I have come across some excellent quality switches however they are On-Off-On. They also work as pickup selectors and in the same way, but in a different guitar with much more advanced electronics.

I am wondering if it is possible to wire these On-Off-On switches to do the same job as the On-On-On switches? i.e. Pickup 1 - Both pickups - Pickup 2

Logically I feel it must be possible but might require an additional component or wiring design. Any ideas?

gclef

Reaction score
I don't think you can due to the way the switch connects all the points internally.

You can't change that.

They make 2 different switches for a reason. If they could be used either way, there would only be one, right?

Reaction score
Well, even if it can't be used to execute the exact same functions, with a bit of tinkering one can have it do the exact same things. Let me explain.

An on/on/on switch works in a simple way, it's either one, both or the other link. It is commonly used for directing signals, like getting the HOT signal do be directed to either neck or bridge pickup. This will give us the Neck pickup only, both or the Bridge pickup only.

An on/OFF/on could do the same, BUT working with the GROUND signal. When in the middle, it doesn't break the circuit, in one position it cuts out the bridge's ground and in the other it cuts out the neck's ground. When the Ground is broken, there's no sound whatsoever.

So, with a bit of imagination, one can work it out to get the same results.

However, things like Series/Split/Parallel schematics to manage a hum's coils are out of the question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jamiecrain

Reaction score
Yes @odibrom that sounds right! I was thinking that logically it is just doing the same thing but in reverse.

I will need to include coil tapping so maybe I'll still hit a brick wall, but thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Yes @odibrom that sounds right! I was thinking that logically it is just doing the same thing but in reverse.

I will need to include coil tapping so maybe I'll still hit a brick wall, but thanks for the info!
I usually don't deal much with on/OFF/on switches, less so on DPDT type ones, but I learned this from messing in one of my guitars that came with piezos from factory with the "mix" switch acting as a "kill switch" for the mags or piezo signals at their GROUND leads. It was a headache to make it work because I was biased it was an ON/ON/ON switch instead of an ON/OFF/ON.

Maybe you can find info on this online. There's a facebook group called Guitar Wiring - https://www.facebook.com/groups/guitarwiring - that is focused on this subject - guitar wiring - and there are a few mental guys (in a good way) over there that can explain things pretty well and do this for a living (I don't), so maybe check it out?

Last edited:

gclef

Reaction score
Interesting.

Messing with grounds is usually a recipe for frustratiin

Jamiecrain

Reaction score
Thanks I'll definitely check out that site.

BTW the On-on-On switch I am wanting to replace is in a Parker Nitefly with piezos. The On-Off-On switch I want to use comes from a EBMM Majesty which also has piezos. But they must operate in different ways.

Reaction score
They surely do. My experience on this is similar but on 2 guitars from the same brand and both with piezos from the same brand as welll...

Reaction score
Do you have pickup rings? Duncan Triple shot?
Those are really cool, both my 6 stringers have them... with clever tinkering, I raised the pickup combos on those up to 113 instead of the original 5... unfortunately these are not available for 7 stringers nor arch top lefties... cool product, but install the switches at the treble strings side, easier to use with the leftover picking hand fingers, it won't your palm mutes and the switches will last longer due to that.

... but what if the guitar has a pickguard?... bummer...

Latest posts