Synth issue in my mix? (Cover of "Strizzwald" by Bulb)

velopodband

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble with this mix I'm doing right now (this is a clip of the track with some mastering on it):

https://soundcloud.com/dropkickproductiontx/bulb-strizzwald-partial-cover

The synth I'm using at 0:33 almost always sounds either too loud or too quiet. I've tried it on four different sets of speakers, and the results vary soooo much, that it's hard to tell what I need to do. On my monitors, it sounds a little too loud at first, then it goes too quiet. On my car speakers and headphones, it seems too loud. On my computer speakers, it sounds just right. Because it doesn't seem to have a clear cut answer, I really would like some help from y'all on what you think I should do. I've already put some light compression on the synth so that it will stay relatively level, maybe it's a compression thing?

I dunno, but any help is greatly appreciated! I've only been mixing for about a year, so I'm still pretty new to this stuff. Thanks :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
The synth level is good, maybe a 2-4db too loud, but good enough. What seems to be a bigger problem is that you seem to lack some control in your mix. (Probably which causes you to go crazy on why you can't get the levels correct too)

Kick drum has way too much low end. If you have a pair of headphones or a system that can go below 60hz, you'll notice it. Use a high pass (or even two) @ 30hz and use a low shelf to drain the majority of the low end. Low shelf can be set from 130hz to about 220hz (I prefer going pretty high here).

Guitar could go with just a little more gain for low end control. If I remember correctly, bulbs tone on that particular clip was kinda distorted.

Snare is ringing a lot. Tryina use tight scoops (max out your Q-ratio on the EQ and do 5-15 db scoops), before the snare signal hits the compressor. If you're using Ludwig Black Beauty, most ringing occurs @ 220hz, 350hz and 450hz (if my memory serves me). You can use a frequency analyzer to check that out. Also you can easily loosen your compressors a good bit, they're doing really much work already before they go to drum bus/master bus so it's starting to sound pretty smashed.

velopodband

Reaction score
The synth level is good, maybe a 2-4db too loud, but good enough. What seems to be a bigger problem is that you seem to lack some control in your mix. (Probably which causes you to go crazy on why you can't get the levels correct too)

Kick drum has way too much low end. If you have a pair of headphones or a system that can go below 60hz, you'll notice it. Use a high pass (or even two) @ 30hz and use a low shelf to drain the majority of the low end. Low shelf can be set from 130hz to about 220hz (I prefer going pretty high here).

Guitar could go with just a little more gain for low end control. If I remember correctly, bulbs tone on that particular clip was kinda distorted.

Snare is ringing a lot. Tryina use tight scoops (max out your Q-ratio on the EQ and do 5-15 db scoops), before the snare signal hits the compressor. If you're using Ludwig Black Beauty, most ringing occurs @ 220hz, 350hz and 450hz (if my memory serves me). You can use a frequency analyzer to check that out. Also you can easily loosen your compressors a good bit, they're doing really much work already before they go to drum bus/master bus so it's starting to sound pretty smashed.

Thanks for the advice man! I think one of the reasons that the mix sounds a little too punchy and over-compressed is because I actually was trying to get somewhat of an over-compressed sound, because that's what Bulb did in his recording. However, I might have overdone it a bit haha. I'll try those couple of things you told me. Thanks again!

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Yea, I see where you're coming from - I've been doing it as long as I can remember. My point, however, would be more like that if you're going to over-compress it, the way to go is not to only crank the compressor, BUT also to keep it controlled. You want the compressors to smash it, but you don't want them to smash it uncontrollably, resulting in nasty compressing artifacts.

Hope this makes sense. It's a good mix anyway, so keep at it!

velopodband

Reaction score
Yea, I see where you're coming from - I've been doing it as long as I can remember. My point, however, would be more like that if you're going to over-compress it, the way to go is not to only crank the compressor, BUT also to keep it controlled. You want the compressors to smash it, but you don't want them to smash it uncontrollably, resulting in nasty compressing artifacts.

Hope this makes sense. It's a good mix anyway, so keep at it!

Yeah, I understand. And thanks again for the advice! I'll post an update whenever I get some time to work on it tonight

velopodband

Reaction score
Hey so I updated the mix some, SERIOUSLY fixed the synth issue (yay), put a little bit of high pass on the kick, and remastered a bit (a tiny bit), and have gotten some more of the song done in general. I haven't re-recorded the guitar yet though, but what do y'all think so far? Better than the original?

https://soundcloud.com/dropkickproductiontx/strizzwald-cover-farther/s-UazZQ

1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg