NGD: Ibanez PIA 3761 Onyx Black

• Thread starter IbanezDaemon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Was on the fence about these when they first came out....probably edging towards not liking them. A lot of that was probably seeing the new 'petal grip' and those damn Liberace-esque engraved pickups. I'm still not sure if I like them...very tempted to drop a set of gold BKP's in this but I will wait and see if I can warm to them a bit. So basically with this being the replacement for the Jem models it does share a good few similarities, still has the lions claw and the scalloped 21-24 frets. The body is more rounded off/sculpted and the fretboard inlay whilst at first glance looking like the tree of life is subtly different. The new Di Marzio Utopia's sound pretty good and has a push/pull option for a high pass filter....I reckon that gives a good deal more clarity especially if you roll the volume off a tad.These come with the new Ultra Lite trem arm and the Original Edge/Lo Pro arm.

Gotta say I'm very impressed with it then again you can't really go wrong with high end Ibanez MIJ stuff. A very well built guitar with amazing attention to detail. Comes with Stainless Steel frets as standard which is cool and a magnetic trem cavity back plate for super easy access to the trem springs/claw. The finish is Onyx Black....very nice matte/stealth finish and it was that which out of all the other finishes really grabbed me. These come in 6 other finishes including the Bonvillian Swirl model which were all snapped up pretty quickly and soon hit Reverb at double or triple the price. I don't like that swirl anyway...give me an ATD any day of the week.

If you're a Jem fan who doesn't want to drop £4k on a vintage one and you can live with the blingy pups then I'd highly recommend these.
3.jpg
9.jpg
16n.jpg
17.jpg
18n.jpg
19.jpg
20n2b.jpg4.jpg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheDandy

Reaction score
That is seriously one of the most elegant looking guitars I've ever seen. I wasn't sure about the pickups either when they first came out but they've really grown on me just for being so uniquely ornate. Congrats and enjoy!

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Classy guitar, congrats!

I'm with you on the petals... I don't hate them but I don't enjoy them as much as the Jems. Still, the overall look of the guitar has a positively classy/elegant vibe.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
@Shawn Thanks man...appreciated as always. Those pics were taken on my phone...super easy to do....no skill on my part.

@TheDandy Cheers. I've had the Pia about 2 weeks now and yeah I believe they will grow on me too.

@Crungy Yep...the whole design kinda threw me a bit. I thought 'hell no'!! When you actually see it in the flesh you can appreciate how well done it is.

@Emperoff Yep...totally agree. I love that combo. I'd still be without a PIA if they had never released this one.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
That black/gold combo looks great.
IMHO from the pictures the satin finish and the pickguard seem to be really sensitive to sweat and wear. Can you confirm this, @IbanezDaemon?
Yeah...that's the downside of those finishes. It will go glossy wherever you pivot your hand. Not the best pic but here is one of my guitars with a very similar finish and you can see the darker spots on it:

P1010011n.JPG

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
The Pia looks great, in my opinion. I wish they'd do more swirled finishes on them instead reserving the swirls as very limited and very expensive special editions.

The neck on the Pia is supposed to be a hair thicker than the Jem, right? Do you notice any difference, or is it basically the same profile?

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice, congrats and HNGD!! :)
I love my Sun Dew Gold Pia, it's pretty perfect in every way, except for the fact that I am overly careful while playing it cause I know it's a valuable instrument... though that is going away with time. Also got it signed by Steve on my birthday :)

The black one is probably my favorite color though. I love the white, but the black is just as good looking and I probably would not mind adding a chip or two on the finish.

I also love the UtoPia pickups. They're really meaty and have lots of sizzle, but clean up SUPER nicely. And for some reason they SING on leads, not sure what it is but I can get them sustaining with little decay for a long time, and sound super fluid. Just great all around pickups on this guitar. And yes, I love the way they look. :)