Talk me INTO re-purchasing the H&K GM40D

• Thread starter MetalHex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slmadsen

Reaction score
Hell yeah dude sick band. You can really hear it around 8:10 i think it was. Also, you BOTH had the same amp? Holy shit. Were they boosted at all? I can hear that familiar tone as ive had this amp a few months back. It can definitely do metal when boosted. i just want it just a tad bit nastier. Actually the tone reminds me very mich of the HM2 90s buzzsaw tone.
No boosting in front on both amps. I had a tuner, a phase90 and a Tremonti wah in front, both the other guitarist was straight to amp. Iirc, we used the lead channel with the builtin boost, using Olas patch from his video as a baseline.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sharedEQ

Reaction score
Ah gotcha. I guess it doesn't bother me that its not a "pure" tube tone. As ive played it before and it sounded and felt good to me in band practice. Only I think modding it can make it even better.

Would you say then that any other 50 w or less tube amp also doesnt feel like a tube amp? Is it the wattage that makes it not feel like a tube amp or, what do you think it is that makes it not sound or feel like a tube amp?

Its possible the signal goes through a round of AD/DA conversion internally if there are onboard effects.

The plan is good, except that you are expecting the mods to make it sound better. The mods might tweak the EQ, give it a smiley face EQ, which you interpret to be "bigger" or more "open". When you can do the same thing and more with an EQ pedal.

If you didn't like the amp before, then the amp+mod is probably not much better.

sharedEQ

Reaction score
I use a Boss GT100 and im getting sick of it and the less than optimal OD's in it.

I actually think there are a few good ODs in the GT100. They all have tone/bass controls which make them versatile.

Tube Screamer (classic)
OD-1 (sharper)
Turbo OD (vintage)
A-Dist (modern)
Blues Driver (tweaked mid)

Alot of the other "OD" pedals are distortions and work with amps that are clean or have a little grit.

The GT100 in 4cm is really versatile. I use it with a Laney IRT-60h and use the channel switcher on the GT to switch between the rhythm and lead channels. I use the boosts to add some grit or make the lead channel liquid for leads. I use the path switcher to bring in cleans from the GT.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The mods might tweak the EQ, give it a smiley face EQ, which you interpret to be "bigger" or more "open".
are you sure that all the mod does is tweak the eq to make it sound more open? Does it do anything else that can be explained it lay mans terms? He said he would also turn the built in level boost and mod it to be a tubescreamer style boost......when i boosted the amp with my bad monkey, it made it sound much better when i had it. I was hoping he can add more distortion but it seems that that's not what the mod does. I asked him if the mod would give the amp more balls without the need of an external pedal, among a couple other questions I had and all he said was "yes my mod will give you what you want". I should have asked specifically about the distortion.

The GT100 in 4cm is really versatile
it worked great while i had it working. I accidentally erased the first patch and i cant figure out how to get it back to where i had it. I want the first patch to be the amps distortion, tgat way i can just and the gt100 boost on it, and i cant seem to figure out how to get it to the amps distortion. I went theough every setting ans cant figure it out. It seems to just want me to create a new patch using the preset amp models which i dont want to do. I dont know how to bypass all of that and just have my amps distortion. It seems to switching every effect in that patch to off just gives me a clean tone.

sharedEQ

Reaction score
are you sure that all the mod does is tweak the eq to make it sound more open? Does it do anything else that can be explained it lay mans terms? He said he would also turn the built in level boost and mod it to be a tubescreamer style boost......when i boosted the amp with my bad monkey, it made it sound much better when i had it. I was hoping he can add more distortion but it seems that that's not what the mod does. I asked him if the mod would give the amp more balls without the need of an external pedal, among a couple other questions I had and all he said was "yes my mod will give you what you want". I should have asked specifically about the distortion.

it worked great while i had it working. I accidentally erased the first patch and i cant figure out how to get it back to where i had it. I want the first patch to be the amps distortion, tgat way i can just and the gt100 boost on it, and i cant seem to figure out how to get it to the amps distortion. I went theough every setting ans cant figure it out. It seems to just want me to create a new patch using the preset amp models which i dont want to do. I dont know how to bypass all of that and just have my amps distortion. It seems to switching every effect in that patch to off just gives me a clean tone.

The easiest way is to run the output of the GT 100 to the FX return of your amplifier.

Then, in the GT100 models, you have to turn off the cab sims.

I think you can also do this globally in the system menu. You select the output type. If you choose an amplifier type as opposed to FR or headphones, I believe it will turn off all the cab sims.

I can get the GT100 models sounding 99% like any amp I've played it through. Honestly if you know how to tweak the models, it really doesn't matter what amp you own. Just get a used peavey JSX or whatever, and go to town.

Regarding mods, they just change the gear not make it "better", unless they are using a better output transformer on an amp with a bad one. I think throwing blind money at mods is a bad idea unless you can play the mod first.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Regarding mods, they just change the gear not make it "better", unless they are using a better output transformer on an amp with a bad one. I think throwing blind money at mods is a bad idea unless you can play the mod first.

Just asked him about the mod and this is what he said...

"It’s a tone/frequency shaping mod and adds a bit of more gain to the 3 OD channels. But not to the clean channel !"

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What do you guys know about the 36w version? How much difference is there between the two? Ive tried to find out but i couldnt really see mich of a difference. Whats the point of making the same thing basically with 4 less watts? Do you think as far as band practice and gig volumes there would be much difference in volume and or tone between the two versions?

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
What do you guys know about the 36w version? How much difference is there between the two? Ive tried to find out but i couldnt really see mich of a difference. Whats the point of making the same thing basically with 4 less watts? Do you think as far as band practice and gig volumes there would be much difference in volume and or tone between the two versions?
To be a smart ass I must say: There's this thing all the kids are jazzed about nowadays called the world wide web. It's got some crazy stuff in it. He tells you at around 2:32. He does a demo to see how different they sound and at first sound the same, but when he gets to heavy stuff they sound different.

Last edited:

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To be a smart ass I must say: There's this thing all the kids are jazzed about nowadays called the world wide web. It's got some crazy stuff in it. He tells you at around 2:32. He does a demo to see how different they sound and at first sound the same, but when he gets to heavy stuff they sound different.

Cool thanks! I will watch it when i get home. I hope he addresses how it holds up at loud volumes in different situations too.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Cool thanks! I will watch it when i get home. I hope he addresses how it holds up at loud volumes in different situations too.
No he does this video though with more info. The 36 and 40 are identical but the 40 is updated and uses a channel path modeled after the higher end amps from H&K. The thing is he (like most) are using IR"s instead of a mic or even the direct sound IN THE LAST VIDEO. IN this one he's using the REdBox! Yeah! a real domo using the RedBOx and he also uses the IR"s too in this one (separately so you actually know). I didnt' watch this other video yet but the REdBOx on the 40 is also updated too. He likes the 40 better in every way. I actually kinda like the 36 myself though I can see most liking the 40 more than the 36. He says his 2 cents around 49;40, bascially that it's good and great for gigs's but if you want an amazing sound to get something else like pedal board better head etc. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks but you though in reality. I think it sounds great. I do kinda like the sound of the 36 from what I heard better though, but that could just be due to the IR"s he used in teh last video etc. I like them both though and the 40 does seem to have a bit better cleans and probably does translate to a mix better too in reality in this video. It looks like a really cool amp though. I don't see the need for a mod personally. If you really need it just duct tape a ts to it! : ) AT 45:00 min he talks about it having 4 different boosts inside it and not needing extra pedals. He also talks about how it sucks as a pedal amp too which he also demo's. From everything I've heard I like the 40 better now than the 36 since he turned the IR"s off. I like the Redbox DI much better than the IR"s and it sounds great. There's also a Devin Townsend video of it as well.

Last edited:

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No he does this video though with more info. The 36 and 40 are identical but the 40 is updated and uses a channel path modeled after the higher end amps from H&K. The thing is he (like most) are using IR"s instead of a mic or even the direct sound IN THE LAST VIDEO. IN this one he's using the REdBox! Yeah! a real domo using the RedBOx and he also uses the IR"s too in this one (separately so you actually know). I didnt' watch this other video yet but the REdBOx on the 40 is also updated too. He likes the 40 better in every way. I actually kinda like the 36 myself though I can see most liking the 40 more than the 36. He says his 2 cents around 49;40, bascially that it's good and great for gigs's but if you want an amazing sound to get something else like pedal board better head etc. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks but you though in reality. I think it sounds great. I do kinda like the sound of the 36 from what I heard better though, but that could just be due to the IR"s he used in teh last video etc. I like them both though and the 40 does seem to have a bit better cleans and probably does translate to a mix better too in reality in this video. It looks like a really cool amp though. I don't see the need for a mod personally. If you really need it just duct tape a ts to it! : ) AT 45:00 min he talks about it having 4 different boosts inside it and not needing extra pedals. He also talks about how it sucks as a pedal amp too which he also demo's. From everything I've heard I like the 40 better now than the 36 since he turned the IR"s off. I like the Redbox DI much better than the IR"s and it sounds great. There's also a Devin Townsend video of it as well.

I watched all of the first video and most of the second one skimming through it. I agree with what he said about the Ultra channel on the 40....theres too much boomy bass and its not face melting distortion. when I had the amp for a short amount of time, I learned quickly that the Ultra channel is VERY bass heavy, I actually had the bass knob turned all the way down for it to sound good to my ears. I dont agree however that it doesnt need a TS style boost because it most certainly does to get it how I like it. Using an OD brought it much closer to where I wanted it to be. I reckon that having the "mod", including changing the level boost to a TS style boost, will take it where I want it.

As far as the 36, I liked both of the sounds between that and the 40. the 40 may have been a bit more present though, if that makes any sense. I'm wondering if a modded 36 will get it to sound the same as modded 40, or will the 40 modded 40 be "better". Either way I think they both sounded good in their own rights, but the guy in the video said that 36 was too muddy and I cant imagine how that sounds seeing that the 40 is also muddy. FWIW, I know nothing about IR's and all that jazz. Im not going to be using this for recording. I dont need great cleans or effects, just good. If these effects can be on par with at least my Boss GT100 I'd be happy. Not that I think the GT100 FX are great, but good enough.

I suppose I do see a need for a mod. (yes i know I should get something that already has what I want and not even need a mod), but im after this amp for its portability, and convenience, ease of use, and simplicity. I dont need the best FX in the world, but I need a face melting distortion, and seeing how the Boosted Ultra channel sound I got, got me just a smidge below where I would like to have it, I have some faith that the mod+TS style boost, will be that much better......but like everyone said, that is a BIG gamble.

MrWulf

Reaction score
Honestly at this point i dont know if you want to be convince that GM40 is worth the purchase+mod or you want to just hear yourself talk to ppl about how GM40 is totally worth it in your eyes.

You either do or dont like it. If you need to be convince by someone else to like it, then you may not like it that much to begin with

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I watched all of the first video and most of the second one skimming through it. I agree with what he said about the Ultra channel on the 40....theres too much boomy bass and its not face melting distortion. when I had the amp for a short amount of time, I learned quickly that the Ultra channel is VERY bass heavy, I actually had the bass knob turned all the way down for it to sound good to my ears. I dont agree however that it doesnt need a TS style boost because it most certainly does to get it how I like it. Using an OD brought it much closer to where I wanted it to be. I reckon that having the "mod", including changing the level boost to a TS style boost, will take it where I want it.

As far as the 36, I liked both of the sounds between that and the 40. the 40 may have been a bit more present though, if that makes any sense. I'm wondering if a modded 36 will get it to sound the same as modded 40, or will the 40 modded 40 be "better". Either way I think they both sounded good in their own rights, but the guy in the video said that 36 was too muddy and I cant imagine how that sounds seeing that the 40 is also muddy. FWIW, I know nothing about IR's and all that jazz. Im not going to be using this for recording. I dont need great cleans or effects, just good. If these effects can be on par with at least my Boss GT100 I'd be happy. Not that I think the GT100 FX are great, but good enough.

I suppose I do see a need for a mod. (yes i know I should get something that already has what I want and not even need a mod), but im after this amp for its portability, and convenience, ease of use, and simplicity. I dont need the best FX in the world, but I need a face melting distortion, and seeing how the Boosted Ultra channel sound I got, got me just a smidge below where I would like to have it, I have some faith that the mod+TS style boost, will be that much better......but like everyone said, that is a BIG gamble.

Nice, Make sure what you hear in his video is either the IR or the REdBOx DI in the head. He gives examples of both in the video. I really like the sound of that DI output. I wasn't sure you knew it had 4 different boosts inside it so I was just letting you know in case you didn't mess with them. It looks like a good all in one solution. Very flexible and pretty nice you can have all those presets with different EQ settings and such. It looks really cool. Sounds like you know what you're looking for. If you end up going this way do update us on how everything goes.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly at this point i dont know if you want to be convince that GM40 is worth the purchase+mod or you want to just hear yourself talk to ppl about how GM40 is totally worth it in your eyes.

You either do or dont like it. If you need to be convince by someone else to like it, then you may not like it that much to begin with
Well, its that im cheap mostly. But yeh it is a bit of a gamble id have to take too

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You have a GT100. That thing has great preamps. All you need is a tube amp, run to the fx return, and you are set!
This would be using the gt100s amp models? Running just one cable from the pedal to the amp?I suppose i can do that, but then someone else would say, "you have a 6505+ amp head sitting there, and your using the models on a Gt100 instead?!" And they would have a point. Suppose i did use the gt100 for all of this, is it worth lugging around a heavy tube amp head or would you reccomend something smaller and perhaps better for this purpose

I know a couple days ago you gave me directions on how to use it in 4cm to get my amps distortion but i havent had time to try it yet... Im hoping tomorrow or the weekend i can try it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.