Talk to me about the JHS Angry Charlie V3/4

• Thread starter Legion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
I have my eye on a good deal for one...I enjoy hot rodded Plexi style amps with the power amp cranked, and I'm given to understand the charlie brown/angry charlie are very much that flavour.

Opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I'd argue that the AC is much more 800 than Plexi. It's one of the best MIAB's on the market. Mastodon for days!

Legion

Reaction score
I'd argue that the AC is much more 800 than Plexi. It's one of the best MIAB's on the market. Mastodon for days!

You have my attention. A hot rodded Plexi (not an unmodded one....too little gain) and 800 to me are similar enough in terms of the tonal and response characteristics (in the context of what I am looking for) that if it's an 800 and has high gain I like the sound of it already. Does it have that slightly squishy pick attack that you get when you crank a Marshall's power tubes?

Also Mastodon FTW!

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I don't think of the JHS Charlie Brown or Angry Charlie as even hot-rodded Plexi. To me they've always been the low and high inputs of an 800. Although the AC has much more gain than an actual 800. Something that always surprises people, the 800 isn't a gain monster. Haha

Legion

Reaction score
Fair enough. Does it have that slightly squishy pick attack that you get when you crank a Marshall's power tubes?

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
That's a very specific thing you're looking for and I can only say how I hear the pedal.
This video is a good representation:

shred-o-holic

Reaction score
So cool that he broke into some Thin Lizzy Black Rose. However man that tone is mud mud mud to me. Was hoping for better :(

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
The guy that runs JHS gives money to gay hate groups...

Don't know much about the pedal but those joyo clones of the tech 21 stuff are talked about for hours on talkbass

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
The guy that runs JHS gives money to gay hate groups...

Don't know much about the pedal but those joyo clones of the tech 21 stuff are talked about for hours on talkbass

Oh wow fk that

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You want a gainy marshall tone?

Fulltone ocd.

tedtan

Reaction score
Isnt it a total rip off of the MI Audio Crunch /Super Crunch Box?

The Marshall Guv'nor was the first Marshall in a box pedal back in the late 80's, so I wouldn't be surprised if the MI Audio Crunch/Super Crunch Box and other Marshall in a box pedals are pretty similar to the Guv'nor.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Xotic SL drive is also a solid choice.

Does it have the same volume on tap as the ocd? For example the ocd just gets louder than the fulldrive, so if you want above unity the FD wont be much help. This is at loud volumes.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
I'm using it with a solid state pedalboard amp, but it does get much louder than unity. I currently have the pedal volume at about 6 for a slight volume boost over clean. And it does get that kind of low mid squish when the gain is turned up. It's nice to have the internal dip switches for different Marshall voicing also.

Last edited:

Djentlyman

Reaction score

Latest posts