TAM10 vs. S5528LW vs. RG852

Progmandjent

Reaction score
Hello good fellas!

I'm about to graduate from 7 to 8 strings and can't decide between Tosins budget signature model, the S5528lw and the RG852.

I've neither tried any of those guitars, because they're not in stock here in Vienna so i have to order one and i really need some opinions of some of you who might have laid hands on one of these guitars :shred:

I really like the specs on the TAM and the S5528lw but the TAM model seems like it has been built kinda cheaply (no name tuners, cheap wood etc.) whereas the S5528lw is made of Limba Wood/Mahogany (body) and has a maple/wenge neck.

Then there is the simple looking RG852 with those EMG's in it (which i would change to a pair of D Activators coz i've been playing EMG's and i'm sick of it). Its price ranges between TAM and S5528 (without modifications) which is really cheap for a prestige model.

Here the specs of S5528LW:

S5528LW_HAB_00_01.jpg

neck type: Ultra-8 5pc Maple/Wenge neck w/KTS™ TITANIUM rods
body: Limba Wood top/Mahogany body
fretboard: Bound rosewood fretboard w/White dot inlay
fret: Jumbo frets w/Prestige fret edge treatment
bridge Gibraltar Standard II-8 bridge
neck pu: DiMarzio® D Activator 8™ (H) neck pu (Passive/Ceramic)
bridge pu: DiMarzio® D Activator 8™ (H) bridge pu (Passive/Ceramic)
factory tuning: 1D#, 2A#, 3F#, 4C#, 5G#, 6D#, 7A#, 8F
hardware color: Gold

the TAM (for those of you who aren't familiar with it):

TAM10_WH_1P_01.jpg

neck type: TAM8 5pc Maple/Walnut neck
body: Basswood body (40mm body thickness)
fretboard: Rosewood fretboard w/Off-set White dot inlay
fret: Jumbo frets
bridge: Gibraltar Standard II-8 bridge
neck pu: DiMarzio® Ionizer8™-N (H) neck pu (Passive/Ceramic)
middle pu: DiMarzio® Ionizer8™-M (S) mid pu (Passive/Ceramic)
bridge pu: DiMarzio® Ionizer8™-B (H) bridge pu (Passive/Ceramic)
factory tuning: 1E, 2B, 3G, 4D, 5A, 6E, 7B, 8E
hardware color: Black

And last but not least the RG852 in black:

RG852_GK_00_01.jpg

neck type: Ultra-8 5pc Maple/Wenge neck
body: Basswood body
fretboard: Rosewood fretboard w/White dot inlay
fret: Jumbo frets w/Prestige fret edge treatment
bridge: Gibraltar Standard II-8 bridge
neck pu: EMG® 808 (H) neck pu (Active/Alnico)
bridge pu: EMG® 808 (H) bridge pu (Active/Alnico)
factory tuning: 1D#, 2A#, 3F#, 4C#, 5G#, 6D#, 7A#, 8F
hardware color: Cosmo black

SO guys i hope some of you can give me some advice and share your experience :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
The S series seems like a no-brainer to me. The TAM seems to have erratic QC, the RG has pickups that you really don't want, and the S has cool hardware, a nice looking top, and the pickups you want already installed.

If it's the guitar you really want and you can afford it, why settle for something less?

MethDetal

Reaction score
get one of the prestige models. i have had quite a few chances to try out those Tosin sigs and they just seem like an upgraded white rg8 to me. nothing special about them. especially for the price they are charging for them

Progmandjent

Reaction score
get one of the prestige models. i have had quite a few chances to try out those Tosin sigs and they just seem like an upgraded white rg8 to me. nothing special about them. especially for the price they are charging for them

Yeah that's what i heard before.. but they still got THAT look and those Ionizers in it :yesway:. What exactly felt like an rg8 to you while you played it?

I'm lookin for the cheapest way to get the guitar that feeds my needs (including mods) and the S model ist definitely the most expensive here.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Well I was going to say to grab the non-exotic wood version but it looks like it's been discontinued. If price is the problem then I'd grab the prestige RG, get some pickups and call it a day. You could even try out those 808s first (do the 18v mod, it takes 5-10 minutes, costs an extra battery and some wiring, and will really change the characteristics of them). If you just gotta have that look the S has, then they offer the same exotic wood choice for the RG as well for an upcharge.

Progmandjent

Reaction score
Well I was going to say to grab the non-exotic wood version but it looks like it's been discontinued. If price is the problem then I'd grab the prestige RG, get some pickups and call it a day. You could even try out those 808s first (do the 18v mod, it takes 5-10 minutes, costs an extra battery and some wiring, and will really change the characteristics of them). If you just gotta have that look the S has, then they offer the same exotic wood choice for the RG as well for an upcharge.

yeah that's exactly why I'm struggling between those guitars they all have some features I like and some I can't stand (EMG's for example of which I'm sick of coz I've been playing 707s for some time now). I think I'll take the RG and throw some ionizers or d activators in it. THANKS for your advice btw :bowdown:

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
I like the looks of the TAM. Classy. But the S is down right sexy. I'd jump on that one.

Edit: I like the gold hardware on the expensive TAM, not the budget model.

Suho

Guitar Guardian
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the S is the best option there, but if price is prohibitive go with the RG.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
TAM 10: It's not a Prestige so F*ck it.

S series: It is a Prestige, has passive pickups but could be mistaken for a coffee table.

RG series: It is a Prestige, looks like a real guitar but most people don't seem to like EMG's.

Verdict: Get the S. The D-Activator 8 is a great pickup and it will make the S Prestige sound better than the other two.