Taylor's Consolidated Projects Thread

• Thread starter Taylor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Working on finding a new space to do woodworking. In the meantime I've been trying to learn how to use Fusion 360. The learning curve isn't terrible, and I'm starting to get the hang of it.
Chiron.jpg

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
Very cool! I'm still getting started with Fusion 360 and so far only on 2D sketches. Are you creating the 3D bodies from the sketches?

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Very cool! I'm still getting started with Fusion 360 and so far only on 2D sketches. Are you creating the 3D bodies from the sketches?

I did the neck by converting the 2D sketch into 3D, the body and headstock I imported the scalable vector graphic (SVG) file that I had already drawn up in inkscape. The file gets imported as a sketch which I can then extrude to the body's thickness.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Looks like a killer start to F360. Lofting the neck to headstock transition and heel to neck transition can be a royal pain in the ass sometimes.

I'm definitely having a rough time lofting the neck to headstock and getting the volute to come out decently

MikeNeal

Reaction score
I'm definitely having a rough time lofting the neck to headstock and getting the volute to come out decently
i had to make multiple profiles, then loft them, stitch the lofts, then create a patch.

neck-1.png

neck-2.png

neck-3.png

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Here is some of the progress I've made, mind you that I only have maybe six or eight hours total time working with this program.Chiron2.jpg Chiron3.jpg

Getting the scoops on the inside of the horns to blend with the bevels is going to be a pain.

Chiron4.jpg

The volute is passable but I think I'm going to redo it and add a couple more profiles so that it blends more smoothly and is more rounded.

Chiron5.jpg

If you take a 1/4" slice off the top of the body you can see routing pathways and the electronics cavities.

Chiron6.jpg

MikeNeal

Reaction score
to blend the scoops into the heel you have to draw your shape onto the body, and split face, then delete all the profiles using the surface tab and use loft and patch.

body-carve.png

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
I've been transferring more of my designs into Fusion 360 and converting the 2D parts into DXF. Various stages of modelling shown.

Ax.jpgMedusa SC.jpg Muse.jpg Siren.jpg

Also started a new build that will probably end up for sale. It's going to be a neckthru "Muse" (my singlecut shape). Flame maple and walnut neck, african mahogany body and likely a flame maple top. Going to keep the hardware simple, a hipshot fixed bridge and locking tuners.

thumbnail_0706201721.jpg

Got the frets hammered in on my GF's build, going slow right now because my only workspace is a garage that is currently sitting at well over 100F.

thumbnail_0718201403.jpg

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Haven't done much lately, decided to get back into Fusion 360 and do some work. Modeled up this V that I'm pretty happy with, body shape-wise. Modelling the volute and neck heel/joint areas are still tricky but overall I'd say I'm starting to get to know the program. Thoughts on the shape?

V Model.jpg

Also got a space heater recently, so I can get back in the garage to do some work. I have my old Jackson JS30RR V that I tried unsuccessfully to swirl and is still disassembled.
20181130_215636.jpg

I think I'll give it another go. Also I've more than half a mind to redo my first build, which was playable but only barely. It needs a route for the hipshot to sit lower because I messed up the calculations for the fretboard height. Also on the list is to strip the finish off, change the body shape slightly, shave the neck down a tad (being my first build I was deathly afraid of breaking through to the truss rod channel), and give it a full fret treatment.
_MG_7097.jpg

Attachments

• V Back Model.jpg
    V Back Model.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 4

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Liking the V design. Can we see it face on, rather than slanted, to get a better look? From that angle I feel like it'd look slightly better with the tip of the headstock pointed more toward the ground. Like not right at the ground, just less up than it is.

Taylor

Formerly... someone
Reaction score
Liking the V design. Can we see it face on, rather than slanted, to get a better look? From that angle I feel like it'd look slightly better with the tip of the headstock pointed more toward the ground. Like not right at the ground, just less up than it is.

Here's a straight-on pic!

V Model 2.jpg

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I think perhaps it would help symmetry/familiarity of shapes to extend the point on the headstock where the headstock joins the neck by the lowest string? Like make it more pronounced? It's a really nice shape overall, though.

Electrotimber

Reaction score
Been messing around in Inkscape drawing up different body shapes. Here's a lineup of everything I've drawn up. Some are more works in progress than others. Also need to think of more names for the different shapes. I'm pretty happy with the first five of the lineup but the last three need some tweaking. I borrowed and shared lot of lines and curves between models, and I don't know if I like it because it is kind of thematic, or if I dislike it because it makes them look too similar. Constructive criticism welcome!View attachment 80150
hi good morning, please can you share a pdf template of body and nech regarding the muse model?